Gaelic families in Scotland?

(5 Posts)
weegiemum Sun 16-Sep-12 00:34:09

I don't have an ghaidlig, but my children hav been educated at Sgoil Ghaidlig Glaschu. I know there are som of you out there. Anyone up for a chat (and not just about the nits I've been treating all weekend! Dd2 in p5 calls them minibeaycheachan!.

TeuchterInTheCity Fri 28-Sep-12 21:55:27

How do you find the Gaelic School weegiemum? Is there any divide between native speaking families and learners? I have only heard good things about it. My DD is due to start Sgoil Araich in the new year. Have minimal Gaelic but plan to start going to Saturday Club soon!

forgetmenots Fri 09-Nov-12 23:09:16

Keen to know about this too even though I'm only a few weeks pg blush so bumping in case op returns smile

weegiemum Sat 10-Nov-12 02:48:05

Forgot about this!

I love the school. Ds and dd2 went to Sgoil Araich, both now in Bunsgoil (p5&6) and dd1 is in s1 at Ardsgoil.

There have been 1 or 2 incidents involving "more" gaelic parents that I don't want to post on here. We used to live in the western isles, where they were referred to as the "Gaelic Mafia". Once an incident of bullying, very efficiently dealt with. Great help with homework etc. I don't speak Gaelic and don't go to the lessons either but the children seem to cope ok.

I'd highly recommend it. Believe it's a bit oversubscribed rhese days and there's a new GMU being built for the south side.

forgetmenots Sat 10-Nov-12 08:13:29

Thanks weegiemum. Don't want to out myself but we are definitely thinking already that sgg might be the best option. Sounds really positive, interested to know more about parental issues but understand how delicate that can be (have heard stories in other GMUs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now