Welsh Learners Chat and Support Thread

(464 Posts)
alexpolismum Sat 03-Mar-12 14:50:38

Diolch cardibach for the idea!

I'm just getting started as a learner so that's my limit in Welsh so far!

This is where we can chat, use our Welsh as we are learning and give each other help/ advice/ encouragement, etc. smile

mamas12 Sun 04-Mar-12 15:12:04

siopa dim sipa!!

alexpolismum Sun 04-Mar-12 15:53:33

Prynhawn da mamas!

Is 'mae 'da fi' the same as 'mae gen i'?

mae rhaid i= I have to?

Dw i'n trio ysgrifennu - mae un ferch 'da fi, mae dau bachgen 'da fi.

eatyourveg Sun 04-Mar-12 18:11:34

Whats the difference between trio and ceisio, Is trio south walian?

<takes very deep breath>

Funtime ydw i. Dw i'n 37 oed a dwi'n byw un Wrecsam efo fy (g?)wr. Dw i'n gweithio un y ty a mae gen i ddau bachgen ac un cath. Dw i'n hoffi dawnsio, nofio a gweithio ar y cyfran.

I'm Funtime. I'm 37 and I live in Wrexham with my husband. I work in the hom/housewife and I have two boys and one cat. I like dancing, swimming and working on the allotment.

TwllBach Sun 04-Mar-12 20:49:57

Da iawn Funtime grin

Is bachgen south walian? I've never heard it before.

EatYourVeg dwi'n yn y Gogledd Cymru a dwi'n say trio, I don't think I've heard ceisio, but that doesn't mean much at all grin

Be' ydy enw dy anifeiliad di?
Fy nghath ydy enw Millie.

What are your animals names? My cats name is Millie.

For some reason, I really struggle to remember the sequences of some sentences - patterns like mae gen i, dwi'n gallu and ga i seem to stick much more in my head <sigh>

LingDiLong Sun 04-Mar-12 21:11:51

Bachgen is South Walian yes. And we say merch for girl. Is it hogan in north wales?

TwllBach Sun 04-Mar-12 21:21:31

I know we say hogyn/hogan but I can't remember if that is boy and girl, girl and boy or even son and daughter :s I think merch is lady up here as I recall seeing merched on female toilets in the pub smile

Panadbois Sun 04-Mar-12 22:49:15

Enw fy nghath i ydi Pwsi Meri Mew smile

Hogyn/ hogan yma. (Gogledd/north)

Wrexham sometimes has south walian touches because of the coal mining communities I think.

Hogyn da / Hogan dda

Funtime, erioed wedi clywed "cyfran o'r blaen. Beryg buaswn i'n defnyddio 'alotment'!
Never heard cyfran before, I'd most likely use allotment with a Welsh spelling!

Panadbois Sun 04-Mar-12 22:50:04

mab - son

merch - daughter/ girl

Panadbois Sun 04-Mar-12 22:53:39

Mae da fi/ mae gen i (S/N) r'un fath , the same, da iawn alex

trio/ceisio (n/s) I would only use 'ceisio' in writen Welsh, more proper grin

Mae gen i un mab, un merch a dwy gath.

Nos da bawb!

TwllBach Mon 05-Mar-12 06:44:27

Bore da pawb grin sut dach chi heddiw?

Mae gen i mynd i gwaith am hanner awr wedi wyth bore ma, ond dwi'n wedi blino iawn achos fy mhartner is sal sad Mae o'n wedi snore all night!

I have to go to work for half past eight this morning, but Im tired because my partner is sick/ill. He has snored all night!

alexpolismum Mon 05-Mar-12 07:52:40

Bore da pawb grin

You poor thing, Twllbach! grin Dw i ddim yn hoffi (snoring) hefyd. Dw i'n gobeithio y gwaith (is not too tiring).

Dw i ddim yn gwneud dim byd Dw i'n gweithio yn y ty heddiw. Mae fy mab (younger) 'da fi. Mae'n moyn clywed (music) a dawnsio!

This is great! I'm learning loads and making lots of notes from all your posts! I just hope I don't forget it all!

LingDiLong Mon 05-Mar-12 13:51:09

Prynhawn da! (afternoon)

A diolch Panadbois, neis i cael rhywun sy'n siarad yn rhygl i helpu ni!

(nice to have someone who speaks fluently to help us).

Alex, ti'n 'neud yn dda iawn! Do you always pick languages up so quickly? I'm very jealous! Oh you might find www.geiriadur.net useful - it's an online welsh/english dictionary.

Younger = ifanca and music - cerddoriaeth. Listen is 'gwrando' and hear is 'clywed' so I think it would be 'gwrando i'r cerddoriaeth'.

CakeMixture Mon 05-Mar-12 14:01:51

P'nawn da pawn!

Dw i'n Cakemixture ar hyn o bryd. Dw i'n hoffi dysgu cymraeg ond does dim (time) - I need to make time!
Threads like this will really help!

ar hyn o bryd - at the moment

CakeMixture Mon 05-Mar-12 14:03:17

pawb
Saesneg spellchecker!

alexpolismum Mon 05-Mar-12 14:41:54

LingDiLong "Alex, ti'n 'neud yn dda iawn! Do you always pick languages up so quickly? I'm very jealous!"

The short answer is yes. grin Sorry, I don't mean to boast. I've always had a knack for languages, it just seems to make sense to me. smile But don't forget that this is not the first foreign language I have learnt, and I work as a professional translator. I know the process, if you know what I mean.

Besides, if you look at my posts, I have mostly taken things from other people's posts and just used them myself. You have all been providing me with vocab and structures - all I've done is accepted your generosity and used them! For example, having read TwllBach's post above, I can easily work out how to say "half past X o'clock". Several of you have used 'wedi + verb' in a past context. It doesn't take a lot to realise it must be something like "I have done". The trick is to pay attention and then to use it yourself as much as possible.

This is what I have done so far:
Listened to 3 lessons from Say Something in Welsh
Read all of your posts and made notes
Put Radio Cymru on in the background to get a feel for the language and pronunciation
Entered all vocab into a glossary, with the equivalent in Greek next to each word (I did say I was a translator!grin) I find it's a useful language exercise, and it might be useful for my dh if I manage to persuade him to learn Welsh.

Thanks for the dictionary link.

Diolch Panadbois grin.

NE Wales is often different to the NW. We don't tend to use hogan and hogyn.

Hope you're feeling a bit better Twll.

alexpolismum Mon 05-Mar-12 19:44:50

P'nawn da pawb!

Dw i wedi blino y prynhawn 'ma. Dw i wedi mynd efo fy mab ifanca i'r ffisiotherapydd a mae blinedig iawn. (He cried the whole time!) Dw i ddim yn gallu gwneud dim byd (arall?) y noswaith 'ma.

I hope some of that made sense. I've taken the language patterns from other people's posts, so I hope I am using them correctly.

I'm amazed at the number of regional differences there seem to be in Welsh.

I hope you manage to get some rest tonight, Twll.

alexpolismum Tue 06-Mar-12 06:40:53

Sut mae pawb!

dw i'n yfed paned o de efo teisen siocled. (I hope that's right, I had to look the words up in the dictionary separately).

mae fy merch yn y ysgol meithrin a mae fy mab henach yn y ysgol junior. Mae fy mab ifanc 'da fi yn y ty (2 oed). Mae rhaid i mynd i'r meddyg heddiw (paperwork, we're not ill!).

Has anyone done the Trinity St David Welsh online course? It looks like an interesting approach.

eatyourveg Tue 06-Mar-12 07:47:55

dwi'n hoffi yfed siocled bob amser.

LLawer o gamgermeiriadau hwn ond here goes. Mae fy mab cyntaf (gyntaf? - ds1) hoffi mynd i prifysgol yng nghymru am mis medi. Mae rhaid iddo? penderfynnu cyn bo hir os mi fydd o'n mynd i Bangor neu Aberystwyth. Dw'in meddwl mae o'n dewis wythnos nesa

Panadbois Tue 06-Mar-12 08:22:01

Dwi wedi dychryn pa mor gyflym mae alex yn dysgu'r iaith, anhygoel!

eatyourveg mae well gen i siocled poeth na veg, unrhyw amser hefyd!

Bangor neu Aberystwyth, am gyffroes!! (sp- cyffrous?) exciting!

Bore da bawb arall hefyd, gobeithio cewch chi ddiwrnod braf. Hope you have a nice day.

alexpolismum Tue 06-Mar-12 11:18:55

Panadbois I just looked up dychryn in the dictionary and it said "terrify, horrify". If I understand your sentence correctly, it says "I'm horrified at how quickly alex is learning the language, incredible"?

I suppose it does seem that way, but really, all I am doing is using what the rest of you are using in your posts, plus a few words I've either learned from Say Something in Welsh or looked up in the dictionary. I don't even know the personal pronouns like he and she and they yet, all I've got so far is i/fi, ti, chi. All the seemingly advanced structures I've used are from other people's posts on here. As I said before, I make notes from what I read and then try to use it myself. (for example, from one post yesterday I wrote "blino=tired. blinedig=tiring. -edig=adjectival ending? I shall keep an eye out for -edig and try to apply it myself when I've seen how it works.)

This means, of course, that I will be copying any mistakes too, but I hope to work it out as I learn more. From my previous language learning experience, I've found the best thing to do is use it as much as possible. There's no point in me writing down "mae rhaid i= I have to" and then leaving it there and forgetting about it, I have to use it in order for it to stay in the mind.

It may seem incredible, but really it's just careful observation, a willingness to try (I don't worry about making mistakes) and a lot of dedication and enthusiasm smile

alexpolismum Tue 06-Mar-12 11:24:34

To make my point, Panadbois, from your previous post, I have written down gobeithio cewch chi - cewch possibly linked to ces. ddiwrnod possibly like journee as opposed to jour. pa mor+ mutation cyflym - g. pa mor probably how much.

daringdoris Tue 06-Mar-12 11:38:49

Helo pawb, dwi'n Cymraes yn byw yn Llydaw ac yn angen ymarfer! Fel chi, 'dw i byth yn sgwennu, felly bydd o'n ymarfer dda!
Hello, I'm Welsh, living in Brittany, don't get a chance to practice much, and never need to write, so this should be a good opportunity!

BelleEnd Tue 06-Mar-12 11:48:43

Bore da, bawb!
Mae'r edefyn yma wedi dod a deigryn i fy llygad, wir i chi! Rydach chi'n bobol dda am fynd i'r drafferth i ddysgu fy iaith annwyl. Diolch smile

Good Morning, all!
This thread has brought a tear to my eye, honestly! You are good people for going to the trouble of learning my dear language. Thank you smile

I am first language Welsh, living in mid-Wales, but come originally from NW. Any help you need, just ask.

daringdoris Mae fy chwaer yn Gymraes sy'n byw yn Llydaw...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now