Greek playgroup in London?

(28 Posts)
Maria2007loveshersleep Sat 18-Dec-10 18:34:52

Hi, I have a 2.5 year old DS & would love to set up a playgroup with Greek families (or find an existing one) so that our children can (hopefully) practice greek.

I'm getting a bit worried with my DS because even though DP & I are both greek & we talk to him in Greek, he responds in English only. He does have some Greek words & understands what we say to him in Greek, but only talks in English.

Do you know of any playgroups in North / NW London (or central, even)? Or is anyone interested in trying to set up one?

joe80 Tue 11-Feb-14 00:43:44

hi thea78,

I live in wandsworth and I am interested in organising a new greek playgroup

Thea78 Mon 10-Feb-14 18:27:16

dear all,

are there any greek mothers in the Richmond, st Margaret's area of Londin who run a playgroup for babies? or maybe mothers who would like to form a playgroup?

aleko Fri 27-Dec-13 14:13:39

Hi all, since 2011 there is a regular Greek playgroup in Kensal Rise (north west London) called Milo (Mothers In LOndon). It is a not-for-profit voluntary group and nonetheless well organised and very regular. We run two groups, a drop-on bi-weekly class for babies and toddlers and a monthly pre-paid class with creative activities for older children until about 7 years old. If you are interested, please email us on milo.playgroup@gmail.com for more information.

alexpolistigers Sat 16-Nov-13 20:05:42

Geia, anthea! Isos edo tha boresoun na se voithisoun. Kali tixi!

anthea22 Sat 16-Nov-13 02:08:26

Hi to all mummies!

We just moved from Athens, Greece to Bath, UK and we'd love to meet other Greek parents/families. We've lived in the UK before, but this is the first time with our little one who is almost 2 years old, and it would be great for her to practice her Greek with other children! However, as I mentioned we currently live in Bath, and this makes things a bit more difficult in terms of distance (as I understand most mummies here live in London) We do plan to visit London often though, and are open to any suggestions (and hopefully invitations smile ) about playgroups, or just a day out in the park. It would be really great to meet other Greek parents, and have a fun day with our little ones running around!!

joe80 Wed 30-Oct-13 09:59:00

Are any mums who interested in organising with me a greek playgroup for the children?

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 14:08:41

Just wanted to add I was brought up learning to respond in the language I was spoken to in . So if mum spoke to me in Greek then I responded in Greek, and if she spoke to me in English then I responded in English.

Sorry, no info about playground but good lucksmile

efthalia Mon 07-Oct-13 14:03:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

efthalia Fri 05-Jul-13 23:36:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

slowcooker Sun 26-Feb-12 16:54:13

Hello

There is a group on FB called greek moms in England (you need to translate that into Greek) not sure if I'm allowed to put it here.

Fairypantz Wed 22-Feb-12 19:02:20

Hi all. I think that there's a playgroup connected with agia Sofia in bayswater. I know that they run a school as I went there every Saturday!

KensalMama Wed 01-Feb-12 16:55:03

Hi, there. We are two Greek mums who run a Greek playgroup in NW London (Kensal Rise) which meets up every two weeks. Here is the info:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_brent/a1312780-A-new-Greek-playgroup

Any questions, please e-mail us on milo.playgroup@gmail.com

Thanks! smile

CantStopEatingCheese Tue 13-Dec-11 20:22:42

I am also interested in meeting up with other Greek/Greek speaking families. My daughters are 4yrs and 2.5yrs old. I speak Greek to them and though they understand it perfectly well, their English is better. It would be great if they had some other Greek children to play with! I also live in Hackney near Finsbury Park. Kalliroi where abouts are you? It sounds like we might be close. I will also check out the playgroups mentioned in this thread.

Kalirroi Sat 03-Dec-11 16:07:05

Hello Maria,

My daughter is 3years+9months and speaks fluently Greek and English. We moved in London when she was about 1year old. I only speak to her in Greek and translate, whenever necessary to her father. Of course, English is what she hears most but she is equally good at both. I hope that the same will apply for my 5 month old boy. Your son might ''prefer'' English but i am sure that he knows his Greek. Regards from Hackney.

Maria2007loveshersleep Fri 18-Nov-11 13:13:40

For those who are interested, recently a small greek playgroup was set up in the Kilburn area, every second saturday. It's really nice & cosy (I've been twice) & there's a great cafe right next door for a relaxed lunch after. If any of you are interested, please PM me & I'll send you the details...

VirginiC Mon 17-Oct-11 12:16:00

hello everyone!
I am running the first Greek playgroup in Greek in London for the last 4 years!
elapame.webs.com

check my classes!
Hope I see you all there for a trial!

Korina73 Wed 05-Oct-11 17:59:10

I live in East London, but happy to come to North London for a Greek playgroup!!! Any takers?

Maria2007loveshersleep Sun 20-Feb-11 07:48:51

Bumping this in case someone Greek appears in the North / North-West London area?

Maria2007loveshersleep Wed 19-Jan-11 11:55:02

Thanks again Alexpolismum for all your suggestions

So, just bumping this. Is there anyone in North / North West london who is interested in setting up an informal, home-based Greek speaking playgroup?

alexpolismum Tue 11-Jan-11 14:53:05

Mine love Trivizas, too, but I thought your son might still be a bit young for him.

Filippos Mandilaras is another author to look out for, if you don't know him already. My children were given To Paploma tis petaloudas for Christmas and it's already a hit.

Another good idea to get them talking is to get a book they know very well and get them to tell the story. You ask a few leading questions to get them going. I don't know if this would be so easy with just one child, though! I have 3 and the elder 2 practically fight over whose turn it is to tell the story! They encourage each other.

I also do a kind of I Spy when we are walking along. "I spy something that makes holes in the ground." "a digger" "I spy something white in the sky" "a cloud" and so on. They like doing this and start spying for themselves, too.

Good luck with your playgroup, I hope you manage to get it started!

Maria2007loveshersleep Tue 11-Jan-11 08:12:16

Hi Alexpolismum, and sorry for the late reply! (I hope you still get this).

I've been following your tips for the last couple of weeks- reading books in greek (translating from english books when necessary) & asking more direct questions to my DS. I've been surprised by the good response! It has helped of course that we've been in greece for the holidays, which always helps.

Thanks for the book recommendations too, I know Lida Varvarousi & she's indeed very good. I also love Trivizas.

I'm determined to make more of an effort once back in London. So am bumping up this thread too & asking whether there are any greek mums in North / North West London interested in starting a playgroup?

alexpolismum Thu 23-Dec-10 14:54:37

Maria - this isn't aboutplaygroups, sorry to digress from your main thread topic, but you mentioned that your son mainly responds in English.

I am the opposite to you, if you like, I live in Greece, but speak English to my children. I have found that reading them books in English has done a lot to help their English vocabularly, and I try to ask them questions about the stories, even just simple things, like 'look at the frog, what's he wearing?' "a hat" or whatever, just to encourage them to speak.

In reference to Greek, if you are interested, my children love the Trigonopsaroulis books by Vangelis Ilioupolos, your son might like those. Also, Lida Varvarousi has some great books. (Ena psari pou den ixere na kolympaei is their favourite). My dh reads to them in Greek, and he says these are good ones for getting them talking too, as there is lots of scope for asking questions.

Sorry, I know you were really asking about playgroups, but I just thought you might be interested.

Maria2007loveshersleep Mon 20-Dec-10 10:50:06

PollyLogos, that group looks great, it's exactly the kind of thing I have in mind (although of course this particular one won't work as it's in the other side of london).

I'll email them for ideas/suggestions about groups in N London, or perhaps about how to set up a new playgroup.

If anyone else is reading this who is Greek and living in N / NW london & is interested in doing something like this, please get in touch.

PollyLogos Sun 19-Dec-10 12:26:47

I know this is south London but maybe they can point you in the right direction for your area

www.greekmums.co.uk/

They have posted on mumsnet in the past.

With regards to your son's speech I wouldn't worry -it will come. Look in the bilingual threads on mumsnet there's loads of great advice.

HTH

Jaybird37 Sun 19-Dec-10 12:16:16

To be honest, I am not sure. If a web search doesn't help you than maybe the Greek Cypriot Centre in N12 or London Greek Radio can signpost or help you set something up.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now