Anyone have IVF first time round and got pregnant naturally second time round?

(15 Posts)
Bibs2014 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:31:06

Wondering whether to try naturally for a while or whether we are just delaying the inevitable?

Goandplay Sun 16-Oct-16 07:54:47

If you have to wait for an appointment then there is no harm giving it a whirl unless you think it will upset you each month.

Depends what you reason for having IVF is. My fallopian tubes were knackered so if had happened without IVF it probably would have been eptopic - I had my tubes removed before my second cycle.

I have a friend who has ICSI and she feel naturally the first month she tried for her next baby because her pregnancy had 'cleared' the problem with her follicles.

MissFrog Sun 16-Oct-16 07:55:56

I did, although we weren't trying and it was a massive shock! (In a good way). Pregnancy does crazy things to your body so it's probably worth trying but not relying on it happening, and make plans for IVF a few months down the line. I guess it also depends on the original reason you couldn't get pregnant initially. Good luck, I really hope it happens for you (either way!)

NoCupcakesOrCocktails Sun 16-Oct-16 07:59:06

Hi Bibs I'm watching with interest. I had IVF for my DS who is now 15 months. We have been ttc again for 8 months. We were unexplained so in theory it's possible. That said it took us 3 goes at IVF, deep down I don't think it's going to happen naturally. My DH is not willing to do IVF again, he thinks we got lucky and it wouldn't work again

Swirlysunshine Sun 16-Oct-16 08:04:32

Not me, but that exact situation happened to two friends

feelingdizzy Sun 16-Oct-16 08:04:40

We had ICSI for our first now almost 15.This was due to a failed vasectomy reversal.Which obviously hadn't totally failed as I fell pregnant with my son now 13.

Bibs2014 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:08:32

We have male factor - low morphology. Are going private so can start next month. Already paid for various tests so was gearing myself up to go again sand then DH suggests we try naturally.

UsernamesSoHardToChoose Sun 16-Oct-16 08:18:16

Yes for me. First month trying for dc2 when dc1 was 9mths but we did have unexplained infertility.

heateallthebuns Sun 16-Oct-16 08:41:32

I did! And I don't know if maybe sometimes the first pregnancy flushes out your system or teaches your body to be pregnant or something. It's really common!!!!

heateallthebuns Sun 16-Oct-16 08:44:41

I got pregnant first night my ivf twins slept in their own bed i.e. First time we had sex after them!!! The nurses talked to me about contraception after twins and I just thought, yeah I don't have to worry about that!

But everyone's different, we were unexplained fertility.

How old are you? I'd say that's your main consideration.

Chattycat78 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:45:20

It happened to me too. I had ivf first time round due to low ovarian reserve. I assumed it would be a struggle/take years/wouldn't be possible to get pregnant naturally afterwards but I got a bfp the first month we tried after my periods came back. Wasn't expecting g that at all! However- we had no other fertility issues apart from my eff reserve and before the ivf I had already been pregnant naturally but unfortunately it didn't work out.

Conclusion- it's definitely possible but it really depends I would say on your reason for ivf in the first place.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Oct-16 16:17:45

It's happens a lot with twins ivf and then no 3 comes along as total shock !!!

Does depend why you can't get preg in first place

Amummyatlast Sun 16-Oct-16 18:06:56

We have unexplained and I had hoped that we would get one of the surprise natural pregnancies after ICSI. We stopped using contraception when she was 3 months old. Three years later and no luck. (We did try another round of ICSI a few months ago and that didn't work either.) There's just no logic to it.

lightcola Sun 16-Oct-16 18:08:10

A friend of mine did. Worth a go as long as don't think you'll get too down heartened if it doesn't happen.

lightcola Sun 16-Oct-16 18:08:18

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now