bicornate uterus

(8 Posts)
zaalitje Wed 14-Sep-16 10:15:59

Hi

I'm going to post this in conception as well, I'm after as many answers/ opinions as I can get as GP hasn't been forthcoming, suggesting if I want to know more I go see a private gynae.

I'm 40, have been TTC for a while following a mmc last Christmas, I had a transvaginal scan a couple of weeks at which the radiographer mentioned I had a bicornate uterus, and would explain in the report to my GP, so I finally had appt with GP yesterday, expecting severity to be explained, but all the radiographer has mentioned is that it exists. I left the appt quite emotional after discussing a couple other issues (AMH at 0.6) I've had and didn't necessarily push as hard as I should of to understand severity, response from GP being if I wanted more info I'd need to go private as I'm over 40 so outside the NHS criteria.

I have a print out of the report and wondered if someone here can translate now I have had time for things to sink in, the medical terminology is lost on me.

"Uterus is anteverted and wider at the fundus than normal with two endometrial cavities identified at the cornua in keeping with bicornuate configuration. Uniform appearance of the endometrium measuring 7mm (was CD21 if relevant) in thickness. Normal myometrium. The right ovary is normal with no follicles detected. There is a thickwalled 12mm cyst in the left ovary in keeping with a corpus luteal cyst. Left ovary otherwise normal. No free fluid."

If someone can translate, especially if there is any indication in that of severity of bicornate bit I would really appreciate.

Many thanks

zaalitje Wed 14-Sep-16 18:26:44

anyone?

please?

WootyWoo Wed 14-Sep-16 18:48:54

Hi, I'm so sorry i don't have any answers but just wanted to say that your GP's response (or lack of) is totally shocking. It's outrageous that they can't explain the results to you and the impact (if any) it's having on your fertility. Not being eligible for fertility treatment is irrelevant! I'm so angry on your behalf.
I hope someone comes along shortly with advice. I've been there, these upsetting appointments are hideously awful flowers

YoureaFlutteringCunt Wed 14-Sep-16 18:51:51

I'm not sure about the results but my sister has a bicornuate uterus and hers was classed as 'bad' and she has had 2 pregnancys/ 2 babies without any problems.

user1471134011 Thu 15-Sep-16 08:48:44

I was a frequent flyer on the conception boards pre-Jeffery and this came up a few times. If you do a search in the advanced box it might bring up threads for you. I agree about your GP - not remotely helpful

emily86 Thu 15-Sep-16 13:16:26

Hi.

I don't know if my experience will be of any use. I've been TTC for nearly 2 years and have had 2 MCs. Was told at my first scan with my first miscarriage that I have a bicornate uterus. Fortunately my GP has been a lot more helpful than yours sounds and referred me to fertility clinic. They won't offer me any treatment as they don't think it is necessary but did feel it would be useful to evaluate my uterus in more detail. The consultant referred me on for a 3D ultrasound which I'm having tomorrow. She said it is as good as an MRI at assessing it. I don't know if it would be a cheaper option to look at if you end up paying for tests? I'm lucky that I'm having mine on the NHS. She has also booked me for a normal ultrasound because it can be associated with abnormalities of the kidneys, ureters and bladder. Maybe you could try and use that to twist your GPs arm?

I'm sorry your GP is being so unhelpful. Is there another one at the practice you can see?

On a positive note, my mum also has a bicornate uterus. After one MC she went on to have 4 children. The first by planned c-section, the rest of us normal deliveries and all at term.

watfordmummy Thu 15-Sep-16 13:30:30

Hi

I had one of those, I say had as I had hysterectomy 10 years ago due to it, as I had very heavy periods. I had 2 ds before though.

Both took some time to conceive and were very small at full term.

More than happy to answer any of your questions smile

SleightOfMind Thu 15-Sep-16 13:37:07

I have this - classed as severe. I've had 4 children including twins. All straightforward vaginal deliveries. Weights ranged from 7lbs 8oz to 6lbs 7oz (smallest twin).
I had one miscarriage between the first 2 and second 2 at 11 weeks. It was not thought to be related though.

Don't be discouraged. It may be that your GP is being a bit dismissive because it won't have a huge impact on your chances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now