IVF- Suggestion for best clinic

(2 Posts)
janu27 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:26:59

Hi,

We are in process of choosing a clinic for a IVF cycle through NHS. I’m 25 years old and never been pregnant from 4 years of trying.

We are given option choose between Nuffield Woking (Victoria Wing) or Croydon university hospital or Kingston Hospital. Has any one had experience at any of these hospitals. Any feedback, good or bad will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Blueroses99 Sat 27-Aug-16 17:57:04

My first cycle was at Kingston. This was our only NHS cycle and was sadly unsuccessful, so afterwards we went private at another clinic. Kingston didn't encourage us to return for a further (private) cycle because there were more advanced treatments available for male factor infertility (IMSI, PICSI etc) that Kingston didn't offer.

One thing I didn't like about Kingston was that I saw a different nurse at each appointment and they clearly hadn't read notes from previous appointments so kept asking inappropriate questions. Having now been with another clinic, I now realise that this is normal but at that private clinic they had at least read my notes before meeting me so I felt more confident. Also at the private clinic scans are always done by doctors whereas at Kingston they are done by nurses, and escalated to doctors if there is an issue. As I didn't have the most straightforward response to the drugs, the nurses didn't really know how to handle my case and only when I stubbornly insisted on speaking to a doctor did things get resolved. So what happened is that a suspected polyp was found on the first scan after down regulating on Buserelin, not found on the second scan, and found again on the third scan, after which I was told to stop medication, wait for my next period and start Buserelin again next month. After I insisted on being examined by a doctor, I was told that the polyp had to be removed before continuing with IVF. If I'd have listened to the nurses, I would have lost at least a month for no reason.

Another thing I didn't like is that I was told several weeks in advance that egg collection would be on a certain day - and it was. The private clinic scanned me, every other day, then every day, even over the weekend, to confirm which day would be optimal for egg collection. I did not like that my DH had to make his own way (with my eggs!) to Kings Hospital in Denmark Hill, and then I had to wait several hours for his return with the egg transfer box before I could leave. Sperm collection and embryology are all done at Kings.

I think my experience is more highlighting the difference between NHS and private, rather than purely a reflection of the ACU in Kingston. I have no knowledge of Woking or Croydon. I wouldn't say avoid Kingston, it's not all bad, but you need to make the decision that's right for you. If you have any specific questions, I can try to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now