What are the chances?

(8 Posts)
PonyPals Tue 02-Aug-16 12:34:31

Not sure if I am posting in the right section.
But what are the chances of having twins through ICSI (one embryo) after already having a singleton via ICSI?

HelloMist Tue 02-Aug-16 15:09:17

www.oneatatime.org.uk/96.htm has a little bit of info but no stats specifically about your question. I'm not sure the singleton via ICSI affects it (unless there's a genetic link to having twins which I suppose there might be?). The chance of twins from a single embryo dividing is higher following IVF/ICSI than naturally but would still be low. (A few % say, read a stat on googling it but not sure how much evidence there was for it so not quoting it.)

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 03-Aug-16 07:59:55

I'm hoping low - I had one blast transferred and am being scanned today, I'm not prepared for twins! shock

PonyPals Wed 03-Aug-16 09:38:50

Oh the very best of luck!
Twins run in my family so I'm super scared grin

PonyPals Wed 03-Aug-16 09:39:09

Thanks Mist will look into it!

Bear2014 Wed 03-Aug-16 10:16:24

I think it's only a couple of % chance that the embryo splits, but then of course they would both have to successfully implant. The only reason that some people are more pre-disposed to have twins is that they ovulate more than one egg at a time, but that's irrelevant with IVF/ICSI.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 03-Aug-16 10:18:36

Don't worry Pony, only fraternal twins (non-identical) can run in families. If you've only had one blast transferred your only risk is of identical twins.

I've just had a look at the statistics, normally there is a 1 in 250 chance of identical twins, but with IVF or ICSI the likelihood increases to somewhere between 1 in 125 and 4 in 125. So not massively likely (phew!) but still a possibility.

I just read about a couple who were TTC for 8 years, finally saved up enought for one single round of IVF and had two embryos put back - resulted in quads! shock shock

HelloMist Wed 03-Aug-16 22:34:05

glad some of you answered that about the genetic link! Thanks Hedgehog for the stats.

eek shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now