Cycle buddies Aug/Sept 2016

(232 Posts)
HelloMist Mon 01-Aug-16 19:06:24

Anyone just starting a cycle or about to?

I've just got the dates through for my first FET to TTC#2. My first LO is 18 months and was made with the help of ICSI and IVF. I start down regulating in a few weeks.

I've already gone through various emotions and I know there are a lot more to come! Anxiety and indecision wondering how I will cope with a second child if we're that lucky and the possible age gap. Sadness that my clinic told me I had to wean DD1 from the breast. Guilt at thinking about another and no longer 100% about her. (Especially if I weaned her and it doesn't work). Stupid thoughts that led me to test without telling DH when my second postpartum period (after weaning) didn't show on time (only spotting, false hope that it was implantation bleed. It's nearly impossible for us to conceive naturally though. AF came this weekend so here I am). Scared that it won't work. The stats are lower for FET and we only have 2 frosties.

The first injection will be at the end of a family holiday. I probably won't be drinking but don't really want to tell them why not yet. Despite all this I am excited too!

Anyone want to join me as cycle buddies?smile

ellesbellesxxx Mon 01-Aug-16 19:14:57

Hi Mist!
We are just about to embark on our first IVF attempt, ttc #1.
Discovered that I have low AMH plus tubal factors so would be high risk of ectopic if I were to conceive naturally.
Like you, both terrified and excited, go through so many emotions! Just waiting for CD1 (think might be tomo or weds) so can start to down reg in a couple of weeks!!!!!
Definitely could do with a cycle buddy yes please!
Xxxx

HelloMist Tue 02-Aug-16 08:46:09

Hi elles! Thanks for joining me here. Still hoping that some others will too. I haven't done this before and can't promise to be on very frequently. ( I'll try)

I hope AF shows up for you soon! I found knowing the exact dates took away a little of my anxiety. Also getting started on the process. Are you injecting or sniffing? I injected last time and didn't find it too bad after the first one or 2. Just strange!

FET will be shorter than your IVF I think. No stims for me. Good luck!

ellesbellesxxx Tue 02-Aug-16 14:22:57

Hi Mist!
Lovely to hear from you... Cd1 has just arrived! But effectively it all starts tomorrow when I call the clinic! I will be sniffing from day 21!
Totally get what you mean about knowing the exact dates... We have a list of weeks things will be happening on and it helps to plan around! Although I am intending on being quite anti social for next few weeks (apart from with people who know what is happening!)
Did you find it all straightforward last time (well as straightforward as it can be?!) - did you have many goes last time? My biggest worry is my egg reserve and how that will effect each cycle.
Are you hoping to have both Frosties Put back? So many questions sorry!!!

HelloMist Tue 02-Aug-16 14:53:40

hi! smile yay for cd1! hope today is going OK.

I posted on another thread about IVF working first time and forgot I hadn't said here, sorry. It was my first and only go that gave me my daughter, so I was really lucky! And we got the 2 frozen embryos and frozen sperm too. (My husband's azoospermic so needed to have surgical sperm retrieval to fertilise my eggs with then ICSI).

Are you telling many people? I'm not sure how early on to discuss it with the people who knew/know about last time. I don't want them to keep asking for progress updates! But I do need some support. I've told one friend I'm about to start, though she doesn't know much yet of what's involved. Others knew it was on the cards, including family.

I did find it straightforward, I think! Right at the start it seemed very confusing - I kept looking over the notes of what the clinic had told me but it was only once I was doing it that I could really get my head around it. There were lots of unknowns but it all became clear. smile Sorry about your egg reserve. Not too sure, but probably the clinic doesn't know yet either and will just have to see how things go as they give you the drugs and do scans. I'm sure they have experience though and will up the dose if needed. Try to trust the doctors and nurses with it and don't worry! (easier said than done but not a lot you can do anyway). Some people seem to do lots to improve lining or quit caffeine etc. I didn't do a whole lot. Tried to eat generally healthily and limited (but didn't cut out) caffeine. I was doing some swimming weekly anyway for a back problem. Had to stop taking the painkillers I had been taking for that. I took folic acid as recommended (and vitamin D).

We were on the NHS last time but this time is private (actually the same clinic though). So the money aspect will affect how many tries we have.

I will talk through how many frosties with them (if both defrost and are OK) but my feeling now is I'd only put one in. A bit less chance of it working but I don't think I could manage twins!

The clinic offered me the sniffing one but I chose to inject again since it worked last time! (I don't mean that sniffing won't, just why change it if it had worked and I hadn't suffered side effects. Only some bruises and needle marks on my tummy :/) How many times a day do you have to do it? Don't worry about questions. There are others on Infertility that may know more for some of them than me though. Sorry I wrote a lot!

ellesbellesxxx Tue 02-Aug-16 15:09:29

First go wow!!! Fingers x for both of us that this go is lucky ;)
We have told parents and a couple of friends but it's not common knowledge. I haven't told anyone who will badger for details either...also we are being vague on timings with everyone apart from parents as don't want people wanting Progress reports!!!!

So I will sniff morning and night!

Swimming sounds good for relaxation! I had acupuncture last week which was strangely relaxing!

How is your husband feeling about it it all?

HelloMist Tue 02-Aug-16 15:20:48

Yes! Fingers crossed. smile

acupuncture seems popular for it, that's good!

I think he's a bit apprehensive about going through the newborn bit again and having 2, if we get that far. Also maybe a bit more realistic than me as the chances of successful FET (especially the older method by which ours were frozen) are not very high. He knows I really want it though and is (reasonably!) happy to give this a go. Also it helps him to know that I did alright last time. Hopefully I won't react differently this time. How's your husband feeling?

ellesbellesxxx Tue 02-Aug-16 21:45:10

The men are v realistic aren't they? My husband's motto is "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" so he is making contingency plans in that he is not booking anything up after Christmas in case we need more rounds/need the money... But equally he will say something every now and then that makes me realise he is so hopeful... He is trying to keep me grounded though!!!!!
I keep thinking "if it works..." But... I know odds are that it won't and even if It did, sadly there are no guarantees! I think if it happens at any point I am always going to worry!
If you work, are they being good about appointments etc? If you don't, ignore that smile
Xx

ScanWaitCryRepeat Wed 03-Aug-16 00:39:05

Hi ladies..I'm new to this..I'm 32 & after almost 3 years of relentless trying, we failed our 3rd round of IVF 2 wks ago and I'm feeling pretty low. We have one chromosomally euploid blastocyst left which is being transferred on 30th Aug. Til then I'm told u need to enjoy my holidays and relax and not think about it..suuurrree! It's all consuming & I'm exhausted. Not really talking about it much, my best friend is heavily pregnant with her 2nd and I'm finding myself pulling away from her..she's like my sister but I can't be around her right now without feeling sick for myself. I feel so awful, it's so selfish but I'm just not myself at the moment. Just thought itd be nice and maybe even helpful to get some thoughts and support from other people who actually understand. Thanks x

ellesbellesxxx Wed 03-Aug-16 06:23:16

Hi,
So sorry to hear about your last cycle, no wonder you are exhausted... And how can you "relax" (I hate that word now!) for the summer with this hanging over you?
Btw I don't think it's selfish to distance yourself from your best friend, it's self protection. A true friend will understand.
Here for you xxx

HelloMist Wed 03-Aug-16 22:39:10

Hi ScanWait. Sorry for the difficulties you've had and that you are feeling low. I'm glad there's a normal blastocyst to transfer. Very hard not to think about it and to relax! I can't fully imagine but do understand.

I feel a pang or jealousy seeing others and it would be harder if it was someone I saw a lot, or was in your situation. Don't feel guilty.

Hope we can support you here.

HelloMist Wed 03-Aug-16 22:43:47

oh, elles, I don't work no. It's not the same, but my husband's company are being understanding (he's just told them we're about to cycle again). Does your company have a policy on the time off? Is your manager approachable? I don't know if you have to say what the time's for. You may not.

I did think "if it works". You might be going to be a parent, so it's something that you have to think about! As well as "if it doesn't". sad It's a strange feeling, how in such a short space of time your life could really change. I suppose it's like that for fertile couples as well, but we have all this extra stuff on top of it.

ellesbellesxxx Wed 03-Aug-16 22:49:43

Both our works are being amazing! My head knows and has just said let them know what cover I need and they will sort and my husbands company have said same! Luckily my role is such that people don't see me for a few days at a time so I can be subtly away and no One will notice!
You are so right about all the "ifs"... Mind boggling!
Xx

HelloMist Fri 05-Aug-16 20:17:50

Oh, that's great! One less thing to worry about. smile

Did you get some dates through? I start DR at the end of next week. Picked up the drugs today.

ellesbellesxxx Fri 05-Aug-16 20:50:16

Hehe I had my drugs arrive today too!!!! Start DR on 23rd and all being well, start stimms on 15th sept. How long do you down reg for before FET? Xx

rubz09 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:31:33

Hi all,
Am new to all of this, after 4 years of trying and no success we did IUI last year this still didn't work. Started IVF in feb of this year and am now on my second cycle which started 08/07 down reg and then injecting Merional for which the dose was doubled. Going for second scan tomorrow and hopefully egg collection will be on wed

ellesbellesxxx Sun 14-Aug-16 14:58:22

Hi Rubz,
Fingers x for your scan tomorrow and with egg collection.... How are you feeling? Xx

rubz09 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:03:44

Am feeling a bit nervous and trying not to think too much about it. It's hard especially when so many people around me are pregnant at the moment xx

ellesbellesxxx Tue 16-Aug-16 08:00:17

How did it go?
How is everyone?
A week to go before I start to down reg... I am sure I rattle I am taking so many vitamins!!!

Goodthingscome2those Tue 16-Aug-16 09:47:37

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me joining your convo, just finding this all very helpful as my AF is due next week then I start to down reg 3 weeks later so I wont be far behind you ellesbelles. What tablets/vitamins are you taking? I have been put on Levothyroxine and of course the standard Pregnacare.

Hope the EC went well yesterday Rubz and you are feeling ok xx

ellesbellesxxx Tue 16-Aug-16 10:09:07

Hi good things! Hoping your username is prophetic ;)
I wasn't actually recommended pregnacare (which is just as well as it bungs me up! Sorry for tmi!) but need to take ferrous sulphate to get iron up, then vit d to help absorb it, folic acid then they recommended these vitamin sachets you mix with water.. Proxeed! 33 pounds a box! Eek! Is this your first round? Xx

tatatetelle Tue 16-Aug-16 10:10:43

Hello everyone, I was hoping to join?
I'm 28yo, ttc since January '16 but I've known I have PCOS since I was 19 so always knew it might be a bit more difficult to get pregnant. Hubby did SA and all is good for him so our GP has agreed to refer us to a fertility clinic, although I'm a bit worried about waiting time now! Because of PCOS I haven't had a cycle in 5 months so can be..challenging to keep trying while we get the referral appt (for me more than for him I think!), so it would be great to have people going through something similar to chat to from time to time smile

Goodthingscome2those Tue 16-Aug-16 10:20:08

I'm hopeful with my chosen username, but keeping saying "Good things come to those who wait", just hope the wait isn't too much longer for all of us!
Oh ok, where are you having treatment? I am under Guys in London.
Blimey £33 a box is expensive but I was only saying this morning to my OH, oh well you cant put a price on it, hopefully we will only be paying for all of this extra healthy food etc for a little while and then we can go back to 'normal' eating (not that our normal diet is too bad).
Yes this is my first round so feeling a bit lost/scared/confused about it all and keep having nightmares about the injections especially as I am injecting to down reg as well. Is this your first round? How are you finding it all so far?

Hi Tatatetelle, happy to chat whenever and let you know anything I find out that may be useful :-)

tatatetelle Tue 16-Aug-16 10:45:07

Thanks Goodthings smile I'm at the very very beginning of what could be a looong journey so trying to take a step back and not overthink it. Well as we all know it's easier said than done but hey. It's also really helpful to read more about others going through what might lie ahead for me and hope to be a good listening ear here.
I'm being referred to St Thomas in London, has anyone heard anything about them?

Mist what made you go private for the second time around?

ScanWait I'm so sorry it didn't work flowers I think it's perfectly ok to take a step back for your own sake, and I agree that a good friend will understand. It's not selfish at all, on the contrary if you're not feeling yourself and can't be relaxed around her, you're preserving her as well. How is your partner dealing with it?

ellesbellesxxx Tue 16-Aug-16 11:09:50

Hi tatatelle and welcome! I haven't heard about Thomas Hospital no but am sure someone will be along soon who has smile
With our referral to clinic, it was a six month waiting list so we actually had paid to see our consultant privately..£400 so steep but equally, means we are six months ahead of ourselves and found out the problem sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now