Started IVF - contact with consultant

(5 Posts)
mowglik Sun 26-Jun-16 17:42:58

So we started our first IVF cycle a few days ago and so far all is fine, I'm happy with the protocol were on etc. I was wondering though how much contact people have had with their consultants by this point?

We've only ever met the consultant once at the initial consultation, and the 2 appointments since have been with the nurse. Is this normal?

The nurse took our documents and explained the protocol and did pretty much the same at the second appointment and showed us how to inject, and im not sure when we are meeting with the consultant next..

welshweasel Sun 26-Jun-16 17:50:55

Yes quite normal. We saw the consultant at our first appointment. I think the next time we saw a doctor was at egg collection, then at transfer. The rest of the time it was nurses, sonographers or embryologists.

welshweasel Sun 26-Jun-16 17:54:27

Actually that's not true, I saw a doctor about a week in to starting stims when things weren't going to plan, to discuss whether to change the protocol slightly or abandon that cycle and try again (we kept at it and it was successful). I felt very well looked after all the way through the cycle and I'm sure if I had asked to see a doctor I could have done but I never really felt the need.

mowglik Mon 27-Jun-16 00:01:41

Thank you that is very reassuring, I guess once the consultant has established the protocol there is no need really to see us again until egg collection. Fingers crossed all goes as planned for us until then

drinkyourmilk Mon 27-Jun-16 13:30:35

We were told we will only see the consultant if something goes radically wrong or at egg collection /transfer. Nurse said we can make an appointment at any time though (you know- for more moneywink).
Even if this round fails it's likely we will have a consult with the nurse practitioner. The consultant examines all scans and charts, plus signs off all drugs etc so I still think they are involved. The nurses are so well trained and experienced that I honestly think we are in the best hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now