Encouraging ovulation??

(14 Posts)
flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 10:44:10

Brief background.

I'm 35. DS is 3.5 and conceived naturally after 8 yrs of TTC and failed fertility treatment (not IVF). I have PCOS. 20/21 day cycles, with AF lasting 5-7 days. Using Ovusense for the last three months that suggests I am anovulatory. As we have DS, there's no fertility treatment available due to NHS guidelines in our area. What are your best hints and tips for encouraging ovulation? Thanks!

bananafish81 Sat 21-May-16 10:49:55

IVF may be restricted but is Clomid definitely not offered if you have a child already? Most CCGs will fund the latter not the former. Has your GP given you a downright no to Clomid?

flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 11:07:51

Yep - out PCT's guidelines rule out all fertility treatment if you already have a child. It sucks...

flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 11:12:19

(Edited out actual location for paranoia reasons!)

sparechange Sat 21-May-16 11:16:53

I don't think that means you can't get Clomid. A GP can prescribe it, although they might want you to be monitored with ultrasound while taking it to make sure you don't over respond and put yourself at risk of a multiple pregnancy.

Speak to your GP about it...

Annarose2014 Sat 21-May-16 11:19:17

Have you had ovulation blood tests done?

In other words do you know if it's a progesterone issue?

I made myself ovulate with massive doses of vitamin b6. I also took magnesium to reduce oestrogen but not sure if I needed that or not, it just seemed to make sense to me.

Anyway got pregnant that cycle which was very unexpected tbh. My progesterone level the month before was 12. It needs to be 30. So I guess it raised it close enough to work.

But it was only cos of the blood test that I could research specifically what to do. Also I do not have PCOS to my knowledge so bear that in mind.

flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 11:23:56

Blood tests never confirmed ovulation - I had five, none of which showed a progesterone hike.

Sadly, it was the GP who directed me to that page when I questioned whether I could take Clomid again - our PCT makes Ebeneezer Scrooge seem ludicrously generous...

flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 11:25:07

(PS - what do you consider 'massive doses'? I take a B6 supplement. Can I be nosy and ask where you researched? Thanks!)

bananafish81 Sat 21-May-16 11:44:25

Have you discussed metformin?

Also have you spoken to the CCG directly to get clarification as to whether Clomid falls under the description of fertility treatment or not, just to double triple check (Apols if you have)

Annarose2014 Sat 21-May-16 12:07:19

Gosh I can't remember the dosages, I think it was probably about 150-200 mg. So nothing mad, but a hefty amount all the same. I imagine I pulled it out of my arse as I don't remember finding any guidelines. But I figured since I had to effectively double my progesterone I couldn't mess around.

I'm pretty sure I found out about it from using the search function on here actually, then broadened my search to Google and other fertility/mum forums. And I think I may have come across a blog post or two also.

Tbh there are lots of vitamins you can take but I zeroed in on those two fairly quickly. Some people swear by soya isoflavones (tons on here about them "nature's clomid" apparently) and agnus castus etc.

But I didn't think that egg production was my problem, just triggering the release of one if you know what I mean.

flutterworc Sat 21-May-16 13:40:39

Thanks ladies. I take 2000mg metformin and have done for over a decade. As for the Clomid, yes I've checked. Bearing mind how cheap the medication is, I think it must be the monitoring cost that the PCT object to/can't afford. I live in an area of the country with significant pressure on the NHS - it's nationally recognised as having lower than average survival rates across a number of clinical areas, so fertility is low priority...

bananafish81 Sat 21-May-16 13:41:51

Would you be willing to see a Dr privately to get it prescribed? I'm sorry your CCG are so bloody difficult!!

Boiing Mon 23-May-16 20:50:48

Sorry to hear that you were refused Clomid. I live in Kent and policy here is no funding for fertility treatment if like me you already have one child, which sounds similar to your area. But Kent are still happy to do blood tests and provide Clomid. Your GP sounds like an arse. Sounds like you'll have to get the prescription privately but as a first step it might be worth changing GP.

flutterworc Mon 23-May-16 22:03:19

Private may indeed be the next step - just bloody costly... Have to start saving pennies...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now