Fertilisation failure

(13 Posts)
beanhunter Wed 11-May-16 13:38:17

Hello all. We've just heard that our first cycle of IVF has failed. Background is we have a nearly 4 year old conceived after clomid, metformin and ovarian drilling while waiting for IVF. Miscarriage in September after natural conception and then referred for IVF due to recurrent cysts.

Cycle seemed to go perfectly, yesterday I had 12 eggs retrieved, 10 were mature. Husbands sample was deemed above average quality and proceeded to IVF.

This morning we were phoned to say that none of the 10 have fertilised. To say we are devastated doesn't quite cut it. Fertilisation was never expected to be our issue as we've conceived before.

I'm seeing the consultant in an hour and wondered if you had any suggestions on what to ask?

Elbbob Wed 11-May-16 19:37:53

Hi beanhunter I am so sorry you've had this awful news, and I'm sorry no one was around to answer your question - how did the meeting with the consultant go? What did they recommend?

beanhunter Wed 11-May-16 19:59:51

We saw our consultant and the senior embryologist. No really answers here. Went through cycle and they can't pinpoint anything they would particularly change other than we would only be allowed icsi if we went again. They will send some samples of culture medium and sperm off to make sure no infection - that's their policy with failed fertilisation.

Eggs are apparently "oval" and they feel maybe look a little tired this morning. Sperm looked good when went it - they said based on numbers they would never have contemplated icsi upfront. Sperm have got through the cumulus but no evidence of binding to zp at all.

Only thoughts are that if we go again to have icsi and consider having short protocol to minimise risk of ohss and to make it a less drawn out process psychologically. They wouldn't want to go again Until at least July period.

They said they can't rule out lab failure but they didn't change any culture medium or procedures and everyone else from last 48hrs has had good fertilisation.

So will be phones first thing tomorrow and if by any miracle there's one or two then they will go back tomorrow.

Hyland Sat 14-May-16 15:47:02

Thinking of you ... hope to see you back on the thread. Even if it is just for emotional support for you're only sanity.

Hyland Sat 14-May-16 15:47:15

your*

Amummyatlast Sat 14-May-16 17:51:12

We had no eggs fertilise on the first go. We then did ICSI and short protocol on the next go and had 5 fertilise, with one put back (DD), so don't lose hope.

beanhunter Sat 14-May-16 19:18:13

Hi. So I'm not quite sure what happened. They aren't sure if it was delayed fertilisation or what. We ended up with a d3 transfer of 2 v slow embryos 3 and 4 cells. They don't think it'll result in pregnancy but considering we were told it was all over on d1 it's a far better outcome than we could have hoped for.
Thanks amummlast that's a good story for me to hang on to. How many eggs did you get on each cycle?

Amummyatlast Sat 14-May-16 22:54:51

Oh, that's not so bad then. And you never know.

We had 25 eggs on the first go, with no fertilisation. 20 eggs on the second go, so only having 5 fertilise wasn't great as ICSI is meant to have a 75% fertilisation rate, but it was better than nothing and led to DD.

Hyland Sun 15-May-16 07:44:03

So you did get a ET in the end?

When is your test day?

beanhunter Sun 15-May-16 08:26:56

Yes Hyland. A d3 but they were basically only at d2 stage so not optimistic based on what embryologist said. Still I would rather they were in me than perishing in a lab. And we were told less than 1% chance of getting to transfer from where we were so hoping we can prove the odds wrong. 2dpt today. Test day 11dp3dt.

Hyland Sun 15-May-16 08:36:44

I totally see why you wouldn't want to get your hopes up.

A lot of pressure for anyone to try and beat the odds. Fingers crossed x

Still nice that you can continue the process so you know what happens every step of the way.

It is a difficult one, having the right level of optimism and not to punish yourself if it doesn't work.

Will they still be sending the other eggs off for investigation?

beanhunter Sun 15-May-16 08:56:58

No the eggs seemed fine. They've sent the sperm and future medium off to make sure no infection but so far that all looks clear. They think it was just bad luck and a bad day for the boys swimmers. If we decide to go again we will be having icsi.

Elbbob Mon 16-May-16 19:05:54

Hi beanhunter what a emotional week you have had but I'm so pleased to hear you had 2 embryos transferred! Fingers crossed - now you are in the 2ww and you really must be kind to yourself, and think positive. Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now