Any experiences of IVF clinics in South West, preferably Bristol area?

(10 Posts)
Judylamb Sun 14-Feb-16 15:10:09

Hi, I have been told that my best chance of conceiving is IVF but that I don't qualify for NHS treatment. Does anyone have any experiences of IVF clinic's in the Bristol area... I'm not really sure where to start looking and what I should be looking for!

cheapredwine Sun 14-Feb-16 18:58:48

Sorry I can't help directly I'm afraid but there is CRGW (Cardiff) which is pretty well regarded I think. Suggest a good starting point would be for you have a look on the HFEA website, you can search by postcode and it gives lots of information on success rates by clinic etc

member Sun 14-Feb-16 19:04:00

Not personal experience but know that assisted conception unit within Southmead Hospital has good success.

Bunnygirlie Sun 14-Feb-16 21:55:35

Hi Judy

Oxford any good? Had a fab experience there both nhs and private.

Everhopeful76 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:10:22

Hi Judylamb, I am currently having a cycle with Uma Gordon fertility www.umagordon.co.uk - she does private work out of Southmead Hospital in Bristol. I am approx. 1 week in to the treatment (its long protocol) She is one of the NHS Lead Consultants from BCRM (Southmead Assisted Fertility Unit) I did not qualify for NHS treatment for several reasons. I am having scans and appts at the Spire Private Hospital, but egg collections and transfers will be done at BCRM so the same NHS team of embryologists and other nursing staff.

I have had 1 or 2 issues with communication due to the admin staff and nurses working in a satellite fashion, ie out of 2 different sites - nothing too major and mostly borne out of my own frustration to get started, but have found Uma to be very holistic and caring Consultant, as well as the nurse/team and the admin lady who directs all operations. There are a couple of fertility counsellors attached to BRCM and they also do private work. I paid a fee to have my treatment Consultant lead, but you can just be under the care of nurses, apart from the surgical aspect of treatment of course.
Uma was recommended to me from my NHS gynaecologist following treatment for endometriosis (that team was also excellent) so I felt I was in good hands.
BCRM does have a good reputation for success rates - I was told one of the best in the country, but I guess the HFEA website might give you a clearer indication.
I just went with my heart with this clinic, because of a previous exp with a private London clinic where I was encouraged to panic buy as I had little time left to go for the treatment due to low ovarian reserve.

hels71 Mon 15-Feb-16 10:13:47

I know it's a way from Bristol, but we were very happy with the Salisbury Fertility Centre.

Judylamb Mon 15-Feb-16 22:43:16

Thanks, that's really useful to guys. Everhopeful76, I have s similar issue although having AMH bloods to confirm it but I have been told I have low Ovarian reserves. We were referred to Southmead Through my docs so my appointment is there but have been told I won't qualify for treatment on NHS. We get my result next Tuesday where the consultant has said she will discuss our options from there.
All a bit of a shock as I just thought I ovulated late as if conceived previously but miscarried. Have you tried a number of times? I'm 39 so don't really want to hang around...

Everhopeful76 Wed 17-Feb-16 22:09:31

Hi Judylamb.
Im doing IVF on own, and its my first time. I found out I had low AMH 15 months ago, but could do nothing about it as had to wait to have an endometriosis op and then there were added complications in my recovery. Because of being so unwell, I do feel that my AMH may have risen slightly (given my new Consultant had managed to regularly locate an extra couple of follicles in scans) but was too nervous to have it retested.
I am also 39. I have tried a couple of times to conceive with a known donor but had not success but then found out my thyroid levels were a bit spikey, so haven't ruled out trying again if this IVF fails. At the point I may get AMH done to determine whether I move to donor eggs etc.

Everything going to plan so far so am keeping my fingers crossed, have to think of what my heart wants, rather than the gloomy statistics. My thing was got to try else I would regret.

I do hope your results will be better than expected and that you have a plan with the Consultant. Southmead Hospital seem to be less worried about low AMH, compared with high FSH scores, but its true a lot of clinics would not have touched me with a barge pole. Good luck and keep me posted!

pumpkinbutter Wed 17-Feb-16 22:14:04

We were at Bath Fertility Centre under Mr Walker. He was brilliant, as were all the staff and thanks to them we have our DD.

LouM86 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:03:58

We had our appointment last night with Mr Akande at the Spire, he was really helpful. Although we haven't got the best news as now need IVF we do have hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now