A rough idea on the whole cost of 1 round of ICSI?

(19 Posts)
Pearlmum1 Wed 03-Feb-16 13:03:58

Today I rang our local fertility centre to get a rough Idea of one round of ICSI, just to prepare ourselves on whether it's a good idea to go through with it or not. If it was 4000 then we could maybe afford 3 goes with a loan but if it was more around 7000 then it's going to be too much for us to have 3 rounds (I would rather have none than 1 go and know that's my only hope).
We have been trying for 3 years, my partner had low sperm count, motility and morphology and high viscosity! (Ranging from 1 million to 4 million count) I already have a daughter so we will need to self fund.
Any ideas or help appreciated! Thank you

Hyland Wed 03-Feb-16 20:10:24

When we was given price of icsi it didnt include drugs which was another £1,300.

Our clinic is in London but some people will recommend you going abroad to keep cost down.

Our first round of icsi spiralled because of the otter things you're told you need.
£230 1st consultation meeting
£230 2nd consultation meeting
£4,400 ICSI
£550 extra to get the egg to day 5 blastocyst!
£250 optional embryo glue
£400 embryoscope to watch progess under camera rather than manually checking and disturbing them.
£1,300 drugs

Scans and blood test were all included.

Cycle failed, review consultation meeting was free of charge on a fresh cycle.
----------------------------------
£1,100 Frozen cycle
Drugs £131.78 a lot less needed with frozen.

Cycle failed, review consultation meeting is NOT free of charge with frozen cycle.

So we would be charged another £230 to discuss next steps.

They also had the need to do two blood test which isn't included in FET (frozen), so another £200.

£900 to freeze left over embryos which included storage for a year.

Hyland Wed 03-Feb-16 20:29:10

You obviously cant have the cheap frozen cycle £1,100 plus drugs £130 odd. Unless you have frozen a batch for £900 prior. We didn't pay for embryo glue again with the frozen. (otherwise another £250)

We were also made to have an up to date semen test £150 prior to first cycle.

And

My 3D scan pelvic ultrasound had to be done again because it was done 8 months before and this was another £300.

I was lucky that i had only just had my HSG dye test/scan (Hysterosalpingogram). Otherwise they told me that i would have had to of had that again as well.(£579 more)

I had to have AMH blood test £95.50 plus the £31 phlebotomy fee.

His and her blood test for Hep B, Hep C & HIV
£121 x2 = 242 plus
2x £31 phlebotomy fees = £62

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Feb-16 20:50:13

all clinics vary but i say roughly looking at £5k+ in uk

cheaper abroad

tho if you have a good cycle and get say 6 embroyos then you can freeze 5 of them and do a fet which is about £1300 abroad plus drugs which my very nice gp did for the amazing total of £16.40 - 2 drugs smile under prescriptions plus flights which are about £150 return for both of us, so about £1.5k

tbh the first helpful thing gp has done !!!!!

so i guess you are getting loan for £12k, so this should give you a couple of goes, 1 fresh and maybe 3 frozen

Hyland Wed 03-Feb-16 21:21:50

Not everyone gets the luxury of being able to freeze some, in which case the £900 is refunded. This would also mean not getting a cheap FET cycle.

I hope others give you more info on doing abroad to make the process more feasible for you.

Good luck.

Turquoisetamborine Wed 03-Feb-16 21:30:59

My clinic offered a three cycle package which worked out cheaper. Could this be an option for you? Of course if you're successful on the first go then you've paid over the odds but they do say having three cycles in hand gives you the best chance.

I was successful on my second cycle but we learned so much from my first failed cycle like how my body responded to the drugs etc. My first clinic was an nhs hospital and I have to say they were crap. My second clinic was fab and even if my cycle had been a failure then I still would have thought they'd done everything in their power to help me.

Second cycle of icsi including drugs up to 12 weeks pregnant was around £6k and that was in the North.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Feb-16 21:37:16

very true about fet

cycle 1 i had 1 embroyo so obv put that one in
cycle 3 i had 3 and all 3 put back in
cycle 3 i had 6, 1 in and 5 frozen

the more it fails the more they learn about what drugs your body needs iyswim

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Feb-16 21:39:11

tho if you dont get to 5 days blast again the £500ish is refunded

ChampagneTastes Wed 03-Feb-16 21:39:58

My first (failed) ICSI cycle cost approx. £5.5k. That included all drugs (not extra progesterone as it didn't take) and storage of embryos for a year.

craftyoldhen Wed 03-Feb-16 21:48:41

Roughly about £5000. That included everything, except embryo storage (we didn't have any to store).

That was about 3 years ago though, and I guess it varies massively by area & clinic.

GenevaMaybe Wed 03-Feb-16 21:52:04

Our ICSI came in at just under £8k all in, in a London clinic

Pearlmum1 Tue 09-Feb-16 18:51:49

Thank you so much for all your replies! I just need to be referred now but I'm going to look into ICSI abroad and the 3 cycles that Turquoise sugested. Or just win the lottery with any luck!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 09-Feb-16 19:37:07

The 3 cycles you need a low bmi to qualify

I've is Def cheaper abroad even with flights

And drugs much cheaper

BorisIsBack Tue 09-Feb-16 19:42:25

I'm going abroad for this, cost about £1500 plus drugs (£800) plus flights (£100 for two of us) plus hotels (£400) total £2800 which is on third of the cost of my local clinic here in the UK.

katherinegoins Wed 10-Feb-16 06:22:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MrsDarcy4092 Wed 10-Feb-16 07:02:38

If your fertility issue is male factor have you thought about booking to see mr Ramsay? Consultation is about £200 but he is the best in Europe and I've read on forums how people were told they would need Icsi but went to see him and after some drug or surgical treatment conceived naturally.

Footle Wed 10-Feb-16 07:05:27

Reported katherinegoins post.

Pearlmum1 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:53:00

Yes that is very cheap to go abroad! How long will you be out there for and where are you going Boris?
Mrs Darcy, i did see something about him yesterday, it is a male factor issue (1 to 3 million, low morphology, motility and high viscosity) so I'm going to look him up now, that's very reasonable actually and we may as well try him first. Thank you

BorisIsBack Wed 10-Feb-16 10:55:45

We are going to the Czech Republic.

My local hospital also has a tie up with a clinic in Spain which has similar prices.

We will go for a week, and hope to have a few days sight seeing in Prague.

Good luck to you. It's a tough journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now