Day 5 of IVF - anyone else?

(5 Posts)
YoungGirlGrowingOld Sun 15-Nov-15 20:19:35

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else was having similar treatment. I just started my first cycle at CRGH. I think I spent the first few days thinking it wouldn't happen and then was convinced I would never be able to do the injections or that the meds would make me sick BUT here I am! 5 days of Merional and Fostimon injections and Letrozole tablets. Tomorrow I start Cetrizide and Doxycycline ready for egg collection next week, with a bit of luck!!

Anyone else had a similar regime? I am pretty ignorant about the different types of IVF tbh - I decided that ignorance was bliss. But now I am curious to know whether millions of side effects are waiting to bite me on the bum!! grin

Anyway best wishes to all going through this crazy process flowers pfb's all round!

NotSpartacus Mon 16-Nov-15 21:08:05

Hi
I just wanted to say good luck. We've just had an appointment at CRGH to discuss options and they suggested a protocol involving progesterone in one cycle, then stimulation and egg collection in the next cycle and then a frozen embryo transfer a cycle after that. Sounds like an awful lot and I am feeing daunted. Is your protocol similar?

It would be really good to hear how you go. How are the injections in particular? I'm kind of nervy about that part (am a dreadful wimp)! Are you having lots of scans /bloods at the moment? Is it manageable around your other commitments?

YoungGirlGrowingOld Mon 16-Nov-15 21:33:52

Hi NotSpartacus

Thank you for replying. I did not have a progesterone cycle, but the rest of your protocol sounds just the same. I had a few problems with getting things moving at CRGH, but their results are great and now the cycle has started I feel like they are taking good care of me. When do you start? Things seem to run much more smoothly in the new building in Great Portland Street.

I was totally stressed about the injections, but they are honestly fine. If I can do it, anyone can! I have to do 3 every day for the next week - started Cetrotide today. It's painless and fine! DM was with me and we sang through the first two jabs to take my mind off it - now I don't need to! grin I stupidly cocked up the first Cetrotide jab and squirted the liquid all over the cat and spoilt it - not looking forward to explaining that one tomorrow!

Hoping to have the EC next Monday. My next scan is in the morning - eek!

Wishing you all the best for your cycle - if I can help please let me know. Good luck! flowers

YoungGirlGrowingOld Tue 17-Nov-15 12:40:03

Hi again NS

The news is still positive so I thought I would give you an update. CRGH being great. Ovaries responding well to stims and a nice little cluster of eggs so they may come out over the weekend. Will know more on Thursday.

In terms of commitments, I am pretty lucky to have a fair bit of flexibility at work. I have been having scans and bloods done every other day so I am just trying to arrange calls and meetings around that. I am just making sure it all still gets done but working "odd" hours. It's been pretty easy so far but I am starting to feel a bit grotty on the drugs so I am sure it will get harder to keep up!

All the best flowers

NotSpartacus Tue 17-Nov-15 17:18:09

That's great, I'm really glad it's going well. I'm sure the drugs must make people feel wonky, but I guess you can't have many more days of the stims to go, so just keep going and you'll be there before you know it! After that, egg collection is the easy part, right?

You asked about when we are starting treatment, and the answer is I'm not sure. We're going overseas over christmas, and I don't want to be carting needles etc around for those so we won't start before Jan (by which time you will hopefully be with child!). Plus, part of me thinks we're mad to even consider this. We are lucky enough to have two children already, and even though we don't feel "finished" that does put a different colour on things, as do the losses we've had.

I also have no idea how much this while shebang is going to cost (the price list is incomprehensible) which makes me nervous, as I am a financial control freak...

But, one thing I can say very positively is that so far I've been impressed with CRGH. I'd heard tales of waiting for hours and hours for scans, and so far there has been none of that!

Let me know how you get on. Are you having the embryos frozen and a month off? I've been wondering why they recommended that to me and not just to go straight for a transfer. I think it means they can give higher doses of stimulation drugs, but maybe I have the wrong end of the stick. Been googling quite a lot but still none the wiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now