Ivf

(11 Posts)
enocar Thu 16-Jul-15 10:28:53

Hello smile After only 3 months wait (since we received the letter to say we were on the IVF waiting list) we received a letter with an appointment date of less than 3 weeks! Unfortunately my husband is still working on cutting out the cigarettes (rolls his own) and has promised to quit on Monday, 4 days away, which gives him just under 2 weeks before the appointment. Now as we are going through NHS obviously there is a smoking test and I'm worried he isn't giving it enough time to pass the test sad Does anyone know what happens if he fails? And also if anyone can give me an idea of what I might expect on the first day I would be very grateful smile I am going to Neath port talbot hospital.

Woobeedoo Thu 16-Jul-15 21:29:34

Hi, I had IVF through the NHS and my OH was still a smoker at the time (we lied on the forms and said he wasn't). He wasn't given any test at all to see if he smoked.

Can your OH slap a patch on for the day on the off-chance this testing is a new thing that's been introduced (I've never heard of it being done and I'm part of a large Twitter IVF group).

Your first appointment is mainly talking, you'll have to take your passports in as proof of who you are, but you'll be quizzed on how long you've been trying and the frequency you have sex. This is where it's annoying, if you say every other day you'll be told it's too often, if you say three times a week, you get told not enough - it's quite frustrating, you feel like saying "What, how often should it be then?!" at them.

It's unlikely on this appointment you'll have any internal scans but from hazy memory after your appointment, either handed to you or sent in the post, will be a huge batch of papers which the two of you will need to read and sign each and every sodding page. These will be asking about your health, criminal convictions, past sexual abuse (yes, they want to know if you've been abused), convictions for abuse (not joking), what you want to do with left over embryos, embryo storage, your OH confirming that he IS the father of any child conceived through IVF. Some of the questions are stupid, others downright insulting.

Anyway, that's the early intro to IVF.

Any questions on the actual IVF process feel free to give me a shout.

enocar Tue 21-Jul-15 19:57:46

Hi thankyou for responding smile We are in Wales (Appointment is at Neath hospital) I am hoping we will be the lucky ones who don't get tested for smoking :/ I can't work out if this is the start of the ivf treatment or if we are not even on the list yet sad Says it is a consultation, and we have to take a photo of us, and proof of who we are, also have a child welfare form to fill in, to say we are not going to abuse our potential child (like we would go through the pain and stress of ivf just to do that!) I'm trying not to get my hopes up, previous experience with appointments has taught me that!

lucieloos Tue 21-Jul-15 20:21:34

I can't help you with the smoking test bit but just wondering how you got your treatment so quickly? I am also in South Wales and have been on the list since March but when I rang up they said probably 1 year until initial tests and then another year until treatment!

RooibosTeaAgain Tue 21-Jul-15 21:19:22

Hi we were both tested for smoking before funding agreed. Had to breathe in a tube etc.
Main benefit of stopping is increased chance of ivf working by better spermatozoa I guess?

enocar Tue 21-Jul-15 23:08:26

I have no idea, I'm 35 unexplained issues, husband is fine. Was told I had PCOS, then made another appointment to discuss results as I felt I hadn't been given enough information about what was going on, and when I mentioned the PCOS (despite regular periods) I was told didn't have PCOS as I had ovulated the last time they took a blood test!! I rang up the hospital back in April and was told my letter to say I was accepted from wales fertility institute was on the way and it was an 8 month waiting list, and to call in 4 months for an update, no problem thought I'd ring Sept time, then received a bit of paperwork to fill in a week ago and an consultation booked in 2 weeks!! I still don't know if I'm on the actual ivf list yet, or is this the appointment before I'm even on the list??

enocar Tue 21-Jul-15 23:22:59

Okay so the original letter (once we knew our only option was ivf) says thankyou for referring the above patient to the wales fertility institute.

The information on the referral form attached with your letter (no idea the consultant filled it all out, asked minimal questions and we just signed) has been reviewed and I am pleased to inform you that your patient has been accepted into the WFI NHS service and will be placed on the waiting list.

We will in due course contact the patient directly and arrange a mutually convenient appointment.

Which they have.......

baggyb Tue 21-Jul-15 23:40:14

Hi, I rarely post, mostly lurk, but didn't want to read and run.

I have just (in the last 10 days) started my first cycle of IVF - 3 years TTC, unexplained infertility-. We received our letter saying we were at the top of the waiting list in March. It's taken till now for us to actually start.

We both had to do breath tests to check if we are smokers or not. As we don't smoke, we passed.

At most appointments I've either had bloods or an internal scan...if I'm really lucky they do both ;-p

newforest Wed 22-Jul-15 11:02:59

Have you attended at the clinic previously? At our very first appointment in February after doctor's referral the consultant just wanted to know our sexual history, how long we'd been trying and what options we could take. There were no tests.

We had an IVF funding check then booked for the end of March, prior to which we were sent a load of forms to fill in about ourselves and criminal history. It was at this appointment that we were weighed and had a smoking test. We both had to blow into a machine. I've never smoked and my DP had given up the year before. His reading was one point higher than mine. I would advise that your DP gives up asap. I'm not sure that two weeks will be long enough and they will be able to tell on the smoking test, it you are given one. I think the criteria is to be smoke free six months prior to treatment.

enocar Wed 22-Jul-15 23:17:17

I rang the hospital as I realised the letter asked to confirm we could attend, and not just if we couldn't, and asked the lady on the phone if she knew if this was an appointment to discuss before we went on the list? And she said we are on it, they have just cleared the queue of ppl waiting smile We have child welfare forms, and have to take I.D with us, if we don't get the smoking test straight away I will be happy, more chance of a pass and more chance of being healthy! I've read long as its a 6 or below its classed as a non smoker, I've ordered some smoking tests too smile

Reggie1234 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:08:37

Hi.
Just wondering if anybody has recently had an appointment with WFI cardiff? What is the first appointment about? We've had a form sent through and a letter about bringing ID.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now