First Step

(6 Posts)
Emsie1987 Wed 03-Jun-15 14:06:15

HI Everyone,

Today I took the first step towards looking at why me and my partner have not fallen yet. I went to the doctors and she was amazing, referred me straight away and gave me a few tips on how to increase our chances. Came home and tried to book a hospital appointment with her referral and I've been told I cant book one at the moment because there are no appointments. Apparently some one will call me within the next two weeks. I'm shocked! How does this process take? I'm feeling like it may take forever if I can't even get the initial first appointment booked. Feeling really deflated now.

sazzapoo21 Wed 03-Jun-15 14:22:03

Don't wish to worry you but the first time I was referred by my GP it took a year to see a consultant and get Clomid. The second time it took 2 years.

Fertility appointments on the NHS are like gold dust! You just have to sit tight and wait but you will be seen.

This round my GP told me to go away and try for 6-8 months before she would refer me DESPITE having had treatment previously and not having had a natural period in 4 years (I have PCOS).

Best of luck xxx

Emsie1987 Wed 03-Jun-15 15:24:43

On my referral letter it says "Under the NHS Constitution, you have the right to start non-emergency consultant led treatment within 18 weeks". Surely this means that they have to at least get me an appointment in this time frame?

Sounds like I have a lot to learn about the process.

evilgiraffe Wed 03-Jun-15 15:36:38

Waiting is the name of the game. For us it was usually anything from two weeks to six months for appointments to come around, though they came more frequently as we got further into the process. The endless waiting is incredibly wearing, though, you have my sympathies.

Snowqueen2014 Thu 04-Jun-15 19:52:04

We waited 6 weeks for ours but in the first week after we had sperm test and swabs just waiting for my next period so we can have tube test and blood test. I was shocked at how quick this happened as felt we would be waiting months

juliet111111 Sat 06-Jun-15 02:34:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now