pcos and low sperm count

(11 Posts)
Finaldeskination1 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:02:06

Hi ladies,
I've had pcos for about ten years. With a previous partner I did not get pregnant and had resigned myself to not being able to.
I am with my new partner and after a year and a half together I found out I was pregnant! Amazing but I sadly miscarried at ten weeks.
We decided to wait two years before trying again.
I was referred to the sub fertility clinic in October (the month we started trying again) as my periods were irregular and I had strange cycles with lots of spotting etc.

They have just tested his sperm and it came back dp has 3-4 million sperm and 70% dead.

I am devastated. He has to go back for a retest but I still feel like it's the end of the world and that I should resign myself to not having my own baby.

I feel that my first pregnancy was a fluke.
Anyone else out there in a similar situation ?

naty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:32:01

We were in a similar situation. I have pcos and OH had a very low count.
Because of that we went straight to icsi and now have a 20m old.
You have already gotten pregnant once so that is positive
Wait until the retest before worrying the results could change and if not then you will need to be advised by drs about next steps

Finaldeskination1 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:34:21

Thanks for replying. What is icsi and how long did it take you to concieve your little one. Congratulations btw !

naty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 21:03:40

Icsi is ivf with injection of the sperm into the egg.
But there are stages before that eg
Clomid to induce ovulation
putting the sperm in the uterus (iui)
Ivf
Icsi

So it would depend on what the drs suggest they may think you can get pg naturally or move straight into a medical intervention.
The hfea website has success rates for clinics for the treatments.
Some people taken vitamins to help
We take pregnacare (didnt make a difference to my OH but it probably depends what is wrong. )
Its worth reading up on causes of low counts
Eg
Smoking
Alcohol
(Diabetes)
Recreational drugs
Etc
To see if you can cut out / rule anything

It took us quite a while to do all investigations but we were being treated 9m after referral to the clinic. The delay was due to prolems freezing back up sperm and trying to increase count by taking vitamins etc.

Finaldeskination1 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:06:33

Wow theres alot to read up on. Thank you for your very useful information.

nancy1984 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:16:17

Hi finaldestination I've just come across your post. I wondered if you have got any further as we are at initial stages too. I've got pcos and hub low count of 5mill. Seeing gp again on Friday

bessie84 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:42:44

hi hun,

just wanted to say good luck, i have pcos, other half has low count/low everything. concieved once in a clomid break, but miscarried at 9+3 , feel same as you. now waiting to start IUI.

YOU DID IT once, you WILL again x

emmapcos1 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:11:41

Similar situation here, PCOS & low sperm count & morphology. So sorry <3 I know how crap this feels and I too am confused about my options. Huge hugs for youxxx

nancy1984 Mon 21-Apr-14 14:32:40

I'm the same. Pcos with few periods and husband has low count and low everything. We are going for icsi soon

Gottahavefaith14 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:51:52

Same over here me Pcos , dp very low sperm count under 1 mill has has a pesa with sperm retried and frozen . We are due to start our Ivf with icsi in the next week or so. , I Thort we were just an unlucky pairing ! Since joining on here I have relized we are not alone smile good look to you all x x

Liquoriceallsort Tue 29-Apr-14 19:51:25

Same here, pcos and very low sperm count! Currently on first ICSI cycle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now