Ivf anyone starting stimms next week?

(425 Posts)
naty1 Wed 29-Jan-14 21:35:49

Im starting stimns next week for icsi(dependent on blood test)?
Anyone at the same time want to join.

suzylee73 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:31:39

Glad your feeling better, when's your first scan booked for?
I'm feeling grumpy, tired and hungry after a week of down reg. Not sure if it's the drug or I'm just using that as an excuse grin

naty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:51:11

I felt worst just before starting the stimms.
First scan next wed i think.
Do you know when yours is?

suzylee73 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:39:25

I'm only a week into down reg, feels like a lot longer though. Got my blood test on the 14th so hopefully start stinking then smile the ttw must feel like forever!

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 16:59:30

Scan tomorrow. I wonder how many follicles, hopefully less than 20 as dont want overreaction

suzylee73 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:11:34

I know! I'm excited for you grin
Would you have had symptoms if you were overreacting? What times your appt?

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:41:28

At 8 not sure id have symptoms yet as on low dose. Have had on off upset stomach but think thats the metformin (for pcos). Im already trying to drink more water.
Its frustrating you cant plan when the EC will be.
Do they tell you when your scan is after blood test?

suzylee73 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:35:11

Yeah my first scan is 6 days after the start of stimming so hopefully around the 20th feb smile
Please update when you can tomorrow as I will be thinking of you

naty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:11:58

So far 17 follicles but more could turn up.
They dont know at moment how many eggs that would be as they are all slightly different sizes.
Last time about 23 follicles but 7 mature eggs
I have next scan friday

suzylee73 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:42:52

That's great news grin can't believe you have to wait over a week for your next scan tho!
Will you freeze any spares?

naty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:09:53

Sorry that is next scan is on friday (14th)
Then probably monday.
Im estimating EC next wed
Judging by last fertilisation rates we wont have any left to freeze but if we do we will(though think costs a lot for that and to use them)
It sounds like they may impose one at a time if i have 3 embryos which im not happy with as our clinic has 20% chance per embryo and its not what i would choose. If i only have 1 thats one think but to not be allowed...
Also as im just under 35 so just in the age range they apply this to

suzylee73 Wed 12-Feb-14 22:40:35

Are you paying privately? I would have thought if your paying you would get some say in how many you have transferred. If your fit and young enough to carry twins then why not! Hope you get your own way smile
17 is great news, roll on Friday

Shellster52 Thu 13-Feb-14 01:44:57

Hi suzy and nat. My cycle is due around 1st March which is when I will start my 4th IVF - yes, 4th so it's all getting a bit frustrating. Love to join in your conversation if you don't mind even though I am a bit behind you. Just nice to chat with others who are going through the same thing.

Nat, I know there must be a negative to having PCOS but I am so jealous! I am 36 and a very poor responder. Lucky to get 5 or 6 eggs, and then only some are mature and of those, only some fertilise, so my odds go down and down. I can only dream of having your 17 follicles!

suzy, I think you chatted on the thread I created when I went through my last IVF and you were reading and learning before starting your IVF. Everyone on that thread got a BFP but me! So hopefully on this thread I can include myself in the BFP vibes I seem to put out.

naty1 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:45:51

Hi Shell, i think it does sound a lot but it can vary so much how many eggs in there (only 7eggs out of 23 follicles last time so about a third) meaning maybe 6 eggs this time so about the same as you.
Although i have seen some people with say 20 eggs out of 23 follicles
Are you on short protocol Shell ?

I agree if im paying i think i should have the choice of how many embies
But if there is 1 clear good one then that would be ideal.
My expectations are a lot lower this time about numbers left on transfer day.

Shellster52 Fri 14-Feb-14 05:05:14

I definitely don't start with 23 follicles Nat, so lucky that most of my few mature follicles do contain an egg. Although last time out of the 6 eggs, only three were mature. Will just have to wait and see what happens. Not sure of the 'term' for the protocol I am doing so I will just tell you what I am doing:

CD20 of cycle before IVF/current cycle
Take 4mg estrogen daily until day 3 of next cycle (shown to help follicles grow at more similar rate which I need when I don't produce many)
CD2 of next cycle/IVF cycle
Start sniffing some spray that will purge all the FSH from my brain and give my ovaries a boost start as well as start the FSH injections.
Continue the sniffing which will keep my brain depleted of hormones and stop me ovulating and continue FSH injections until egg retrieval.

I am at a new clinic and it's a different protocol so I am feeling a slight new sense of hope despite the fact that this is my 4th round.

Will be curious how your egg collection goes next week and fingers crossed for you.

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:14:58

Now up to 23 again sad these extras wont be big enough they are tiny at moment. Having blood taken each time. Luckily as they are smaller hopefully they wont be realeasing much hormone and will carry on fine.
I think they call if theres a problem.
Next appointment monday

Suzy was your blood test ok?

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 15:54:19

They called re blood test and now have to go in sun for another scan (thought they would not do weekends)

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 15:55:27

Shell it sounds good they have something to make them the same size.

Shellster52 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:47:19

Geepers Nat, every time you get scanned there are more. I have the opposite problem and every time I get scanned, one or two have disappeared. So ER still on track for Wed?

The estrogen doesn't seem to make them perfectly the same size and it's not some miracle answer to my low response, but I have gotten a couple more eggs on it than when I wasn't on it. Also took Aspirin before my last IVF and started with an amazing 15 antrals instead of the usual 5-6. But my left ovary was tender and probably hadn't recovered from previous IVF so it barely responded. Have taken Aspirin again and waited longer between IVF this time for ovaries to recover in the hope that I again start with more antrals but also get more eggs. One can hope.

naty1 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:03:36

Aspirin sounds good.
They really cant say when EC is , anytime from tues

Shellster52 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:34:24

Thoughts are with you over the next few crucial days.

Can I ask if you were given any insight as to what went wrong last time? So you had one transferred and obviously none left over as you are doing a full cycle again rather than a FET.

Sorry for all the harassing questions. Just nervous about my upcoming 4th IVF and wanting to learn from others as much as possible so that I can feel like I am doing everything right and can say I gave it 100%

naty1 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:08:32

I had 1/2 transferred last time.
(1 good 1 and 1 they werent sure of )
They didnt know why out of 7 only 2 fertilised. They suggested sperm as the count is really low. And couldnt see anything with eggs.
But it could be egg quality. I think if they dont fertilise initially it can be either. Also i imagine lower quality with lots of follicles as energy is going to make all of them.
But i also have slightly high tsh, it was 2.1 last time and it is now being treated so may be more consistant but is still around that level - i would have liked under 2.
I just read that icsi fertilisation rates can be high because it is used when there 'may' be a problem as well as when there is.
What would be useful is a % fertilised when people are using limited sperm or frozen ones.
Also as we are generally referring to less than 10 eggs etc percentages are a bit all over the place ie i had 2/7 fertilise much lower than 80% but each 1 makes a huge difference.
I like the sound of the technique where they really look at the sperm under much higher resolution to pick the best.
Have you transferred any blasts or all embies?
Are you able to increase to 3 if you have them?

MonyHerts Sat 15-Feb-14 15:57:15

Hi all! New to mumsnet and found this active thread on ivf. Our first appointment at Barts was last July but due to brief cancer scare, wound up having to wait until January as their lab shuts in December. Been stimming for 5 days after nearly 3 weeks of down reg. Getting impatient as the weeks continue to tick away.
Noticed some discussion about short vs. long protocol... I presume the long refers to the inclusion of down-regulation? I've been rather frustrated about the down-reg part given my PCOS means I have no cycle unless induced. Not sure why they'd need to turn off something that is never on.

Shellster52 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:16:13

Oh okay. so only 2 of the 7 fertilised last time so no frozen ones left.
I have only ever had 2 day two transfers. Next IVF will be at a new clinic where two is the maximum allowed to transfer.

I don't get many eggs and then on top of that, not a great fertilisation rate either. So my new dr said to up my chances, they will inject calcium into the egg this time along with the sperm. Never heard of that. Went home and researched and it turns out men with poor sperm give much lower IVF/ICSI fertilisation rates and the calcium increases the % of eggs fertilised. So I have great faith in my dr and hoping this makes the difference this round.

Welcome Money. Down reg sounds like a common thing done over there. How does this work? At what stage of your cycle do you down reg? Do you do it until your period arrives and then start stimming on day 2/3 as normal? Yes, it can be a bit of a waiting game. 5 days in So a bit over a week to go and then things will really start happening.

naty1 Sat 15-Feb-14 21:03:24

Hi Money
I think pcos may usually have lots of eggs ready. I think they probably need to turn off our lh as that would be really high.
It does seem pcos usually down reg.
(Nasal spray is the worst bit altogether imo)
I would have started earlier too but for clinic being closed and cycle timing being off.

Starting to feel huge now.

suzylee73 Sat 15-Feb-14 21:53:39

Hi money smile
Had my 1st blood test yesterday and I have to do a third week of down reg hmm was really looking forward to stimming, getting a bit headachy now.
Scan tomorrow nat grin can't wait to hear the news.
I am praying for you shellster, you bring everyone good luck and I would love to return the favour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now