Assisted conception after recurrent miscarriage part 5

(1000 Posts)
Mel3062 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:37:59

Hope this is right ladies ...

Arianrhod Sat 08-Feb-14 15:27:51

belly It all sounds brilliant, please keep us updated as you go through it all!

Mel3062 Sat 08-Feb-14 16:48:56

Good luck belly!
I'm needing intralipid help please. I have a script for 3 a month apart. I was hoping to have them at ins but they're shut Saturdays, where's the cheapest place? I'm in York but don't fancy paying healthcare at home prices especially when I'm getting neopegen too :/ also is there a particular time in the cycle that's best to have them?
Also clexane I'm having from day 7 do I stop it if af arrives??

brownstag Sun 09-Feb-14 09:57:59

Belly, that sounds amazing and very exciting. We are going to be on holiday between 7th and 14th April not far from Alicante so maybe we should take a look at this clinic too while we're there.
Yes, the consultant reading notes on the hoof is very annoying as you never know whether they've digested everything of importance. That's why I love my NHS consultant who always knows everything about me.
I think we've missed the boat this month. It's day 13 and I think I may have already ovulated without having sex at all. This has never happened before. The fact that I haven't been paying attention, and couldn't be ar**d to dtd ... I wonder if unconsciously this spells the end of ttc?

suemays Mon 10-Feb-14 09:23:00

brown it's very weird as i am in the same place as you. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head when my last af started without checking my diary whereas normally I would know exactly when it was and which cycle day I was on. Maybe its our way of coping after being on this journey for so long as it does get very tiring! I don't know about you but I wonder sometimes whether I can be bothered to go through it all again? Babies and pregnant women don't bother me as much as they used to and its a refreshing change not to feel like that.
I always said I would stop TTC when I was 43 and that is spring next year so brown I don't know if you have set yourself a time frame? I have to say though that the talk on de in Spain interested me. I might consider speaking to DH about that next year if we have no luck in 2014. I have Spanish ancestry and we have friends and family near alicante that we could combine a holiday with. I guess the talk of DE stops us panicking about our diminishing egg reserves even though I said it wasn't for me, I am more open to the idea. I also read about epigenetics that ari spoke about and that has swayed my thinking.

Sorry not had time to congratulate any newly pregnant ladies or welcome newbies. Waves to everyone else!

brownstag Mon 10-Feb-14 10:47:17

Yes, Sue, I totally understand where you're coming from. Part of me thinks I should now be past the procreating stage and doing other things with my life, and I do wonder if I've got the energy for all those broken nights. I think with this long winter, and a few illnesses, I just haven't felt the same enthusiasm lately. I think it also helps that I'm now of that age where people are no longer expecting me to have another child; nobody asks any more when the next one is coming along.
I also set myself 43 as the end date, but that includes all of my 43rd year, so I've got a year left as I'm 43 in April.
I did get a kick up the bum this morning when my neightbour, who has 2 kids aged 6 and 3, revealed she's nearly 46. I'd assumed she and her husband were in their mid-thirties but he's 32! And guess what, blood group A ...
I'm not quite at the donor egg stage; I think if I did it it would be almost to prove to people that I can still have a baby, which obviously isn't the right reason. But I am moving very very slowly in that direction. Still, Penny advised me not to go down that route while my own cycles are still good.
My DS last night asked if we could adopt a child, from Iceland, where my mum's family are from. But it's such a small country there are very few children available for adoption and certainly none available for 'foreigners'.

BellyD Mon 10-Feb-14 15:26:19

Sue and Brown totally know where you are coming from, there are plenty of times that I feel the same, but as we don't have any children yet I think that is what spurs me on, for my DH as much as me.

Sue, Duggs, I have dm'd you the price lists for IVF Spain and Zita West. Let me know if you don't receive them.

Waves to everyone else.

duggs1976 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:41:36

Yes belly D v interesting indeed.... And the plot thickens shock choices

suemays Mon 10-Feb-14 23:04:20

Thanks Belly very interesting! I completely understand why you are spurred on to keep going and its great your DH is on board with you.

Brown did your neighbour conceive naturally though??
Funny as everyone is too scared to ask me now about pregnancy - think I bore them as its the same old story with losing them! Not a lot they can say so they tend to not even ask which I prefer. At least with DE you dont have to make a quick decision seeing as its the donors age not ours. Lets hope we all get there whatever way route we decide to take as us 'oldies' deserve a bit of good luck now!

Arianrhod Tue 11-Feb-14 09:11:00

All very interesting discussions going on, reading them with great interest! Can completely relate to the feelings of 'enough already'. I think that even if I could afford to do another cycle after this one (which I absolutely can't) I probably wouldn't do another one anyway, I've just about had enough of it all after so long.

Had a slight panic yesterday, I had emailed Penny first thing just to let her know that my CBFM indicated ovulation to be bang on CD14 as usual, so AF should be as predicted. She emailed me straight back saying "I know this is a bit of a shock, but is there any chance you might be able to get out to us for Saturday (this Saturday!) for an ET? Please try to say yes!" ... ! Talk about quick response! As it happens I absolutely can't go anywhere until after the 15th as DD has a major ballet show on at the local theatre this week with the big finale show on Saturday, which I'd explained to Penny before as to why we couldn't cycle this month. But still, if it hadn't been for that, we would have had a chance a month early.

Saw my GP last night, she is so lovely! She has been keeping an eye on what I've been going through (all blood tests etc are routinely sent through to the GP apparently) and was not only hugely sympathetic, but horrified at how much the drugs are all costing. She said if this cycle results in a positive pregnancy to go in and see her and she'll prescribe as much of the drugs as she is allowed for me - not neupogen, I know, as that isn't part of a usual fertility protocol, but certainly the clexane and gestone, which would be a big help!

/waves to everyone

Mel3062 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:34:50

Wow ari, pleased your gp is on board too. I've discovered what things I take when thanks to the clinic smile from day 7 x

brownstag Tue 11-Feb-14 19:41:14

That's a right result from your GP, Ari.
Sue, yes, she conceived naturally at nearly 43. She smokes, she's overweight, and eats rubbish. Clearly the way forward!

Arianrhod Wed 12-Feb-14 10:15:02

Well don't they say that's how you suppress your immune system brown - eat rubbish, drink lots and smoke? The more unhealthy you are, the less your immune system works. And here are we all, trying our best to be as healthy as possible - it's probably working against us!

Great mel, that's the same as I do then, take stuff from day 7. Do you have to do neupogen every day, just out of interest?? Btw for your future reference, Asda say they have it in stock now, they just ordered me some - £263.50 for 5 vials/pre-filled syringes.

Mel3062 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:16:39

Fab thanks though I'll try gp first ;) prescription still not arrived so getting sent another. You will need to start your Neupogen from after ovulation 300mcg every 4 days, but it will be in the prescription?? Hope presc hurrys up then!!
Complained about clearblue advanced sticks today I must of wasted 8 due to an "error" they're sending me more! Right now I'm off to drink coffee and eat chocolate!!

Mel3062 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:17:44

Super drug won't give neopegen as it's a cancer drug not fertility they said :/

Mel3062 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:39:03

Wow ari my gp is prescribing neopegen!!!! He said I have to be aware it's not licensed but is happy to follow experts advice!! Do I only have this for a month then?

Arianrhod Thu 13-Feb-14 08:21:55

Crikey mel, now that's a result and a half! What a fantastic GP you have!! Well we take it until preg test; if BFP then of course you carry on taking it.

Mel3062 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:12:00

Every 4 days? So after this month do I need another presc then for next month??
I know I'm so grateful to save the money. My intralipid script is lost in the post now argh!!

brownstag Fri 14-Feb-14 09:32:33

Ari, could you remind me please what part of your cycle you are meant to have a hysteroscopy. I have all the info in my emails but they are so difficult to scroll through since Yahoo changed its format; really annoying.

Also, has anyone got any firm dates booked to go to Athens? DH has just announced that he's booked himself on a 5-day golfing holiday with his mates in Spain, so I now feel far less guilty about the idea of popping off to Athens for a few days. I'd be doing it alone - is that a good idea? But if anyone was travelling at the same time, it would be nice to have a Serum buddy. Also, is insurance an issue if you're travelling back after surgery?

Arianrhod Fri 14-Feb-14 13:40:16

brown I think the advice is any time you're not bleeding. I had mine done on CD23, the endo scratch I'm having done on Monday is CD21. Liberally borrowed from the 'hysteroscopy - athens' thread on FF, it says this:

<quote>
Hysteroscopies are normally scheduled for just after your period has finished so that the lining is thin and there isn’t too much debris from your period - its not possible to do hysteroscopy if you have your period (because the view is obscured) or if you might be pregnant (because the baby might be harmed).
</quote>

But as I say, I know it's ok to have them done any time you're not bleeding.

Going out to Athens alone is absolutely fine - I've done it, and I know lots of the girls on the FF Athens board(s) have done this. Following the lovely agate's excellent FAQ it's really easy, honest.

Insurance - this is a debate that goes on quite a bit (read the two 'Hysteroscopy - Athens' threads and you'll see what I mean!). Some ladies get insurance cover specifically for IVF, lots of others don't bother. I didn't bother, but it's completely down to your own preference.

I don't have definite dates yet but most likely I'll be out there around Mar 12th/13th. You could always post on the FF board and see if there's anyone else going out when you are - people pop backwards and forwards to Athens all the time, it seems!

duggs1976 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:54:52

I will be in Athens 20 -23 march for my hysto if that helps anyone ? X

brownstag Sat 15-Feb-14 08:17:44

Thanks Ari, a veritable mine of information as always. And thanks Duggs. March would also be good for me, but as yet I can't work out when I wouldn't be bleeding because of this interminable cycle I'm having. Day 19 and no ovulation yet (thought I'd ovulated early but now realise I didn't).

Pebbles73 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:42:57

Belly sorry for the late response, your clinic in Spain sounds brilliant and I hope this is your answer and you get your take home baby. Please let us know how it is all going, would love to hear.

Sue, *Brown I hear you re feeling tired of the whole process. I was lying in bed one night and the thought of not having anymore ivf to get pregnant popped in my head for the first time ever and it felt like a huge relief! Like Belly though I am no ready to give up until we get a family, be it donor egg or eventually adoption.

I haven't got round to arranging a chat with Penny, dh & I have had a terrible cold. First one have had for about a year but still feeling crap 9 days after it started and had now gone to my chest. I was wondering if I should stop the hydroxy in case it is making it linger, has anyone else on hydroxy found this?
We may get to Serum sooner than summer now as some close friends have offered to lend us the money. Two of their three children died from a type of meningitis and there take on it is life is to short to wait. He sold his buisness he started up with somebody else and they got around 3 million each, can't believe they have offered us the loan and would feel a bit strange about borrowing a large sum of money. Anyway need to speak to Penny first and see what she recommends.

Good luck to you both Ari and Duggs and will hopefully join you soon.

Well I am off to have a drink, chain smoke and eat Mc Donald's to supress these nkc's!!! wink

suemays Wed 19-Feb-14 22:19:00

Pebbles I dont blame you for still keep trying as I think I would be the same if I didnt have DD. Its hard to keep a 'normal' life for her when I am constantly on this merry go round.

I havent found that hydroxy prolongs a cold etc but there have been lots of nasty illnesses around lately that seem to last for ever!

I would take up your friends offer and go to Serum sooner rather than later. What a lovely gesture!

duggs1976 Thu 20-Feb-14 05:44:45

How terribly sad to lose two children to an illness. It is difficult to even contemplate. Arrange the call now pebbles. It will be an evening call,no cost, no obligation (such a refreshing change) and you will know how you feel. Get on with it though as friends are right. Whatever the outcome you need to move on with whatever is next as the limbo is no way to live life. Let us know how you get on it might not be for a few weeks or so?

Arianrhod Thu 20-Feb-14 10:15:14

I don't even want to think of the heartache your friends have had to go through pebbles - losing one is horrendous, but two? Unbearable. The poor souls. And what a generous offer from them, such good friends!

And yes, I'd echo duggs - I think we've all put our lives on hold for long enough over this, life is definitely too short to waste time. A call is a quick thing to arrange and Penny will do it whenever suits you and DH.

sue How are things with you?

This thread is not accepting new messages.