Clearblue Digital positive test today after low HCG yesterday?

(4 Posts)
Vikks Sat 07-Sep-13 15:54:05

Hi All,
I’m probably clutching at straws here, but would love to hear your views.
Yesterday my bloods came back at a level of 16 (very low I know) 14 dpo IUI cycle. The nurse told me that it should have been about 76 by now and said it didn't look good and said we were probably looking at about a 10% chance of success. I was told to continue taking progesterone for another week and go back on Friday for another blood test.
Today I took a Clearblue digital which came back ‘Positive 1-2 weeks’ and had a ‘Google’ because I was curious as to how low you HCG levels can be to get a positive reading. I found a lot over text saying over 50 for Clearblue Digital! So now obviously feeling a little more hopeful…
Has anyone had a similar experience with Clearblue Digital tests?
Anyone had a HCG reading that low and gone on to have a healthy baby?
Would you try and hold off testing until Friday (a week seems such a long time to wait)?
Thanks in advance, Viks x

lagertops Sat 07-Sep-13 21:49:28

I did a pregnancy test when I already knew I was pregnant (it was spare, and I did it for fun. Weird I know) and to my shock it came back negative. What I found out is that sometimes you can have so much HCG in your system at a specific time in early pregnancy, it will show up as a negative/ low reading. So, dilute your urine with water, dip a stick in and see if the result is any stronger. It worked for me. In the space of 10 mins, I went from no line, to a strong pink line. I know you had blood work taken, I'm not sure if this follows the same principle but it's worth a try.

lagertops Sat 07-Sep-13 21:54:00

It's called the 'hook effect,' if you want to read up on it further. Sorry in advance if this is of no help, I just didn't want to leave you hanging x

willitbe Sun 08-Sep-13 07:51:15

Hi, I replied on your other thread. I just wanted to say regarding the pp comments on the hook effect, this only happens after about week 8 of pregnancy when hcg gets very high. In your case the hcg has been measured via blood test so if would not work with diluting wee. Just so you don't waste a test on it.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now