Getting ready for IVF - any advice?

(15 Posts)
OhBuggerMe Tue 27-Aug-13 15:57:40

Hello. I've been ttc 2.5 years and in that time I've had 2 miscarriages, 1 chemical pregnancy, 6 months of clomid and every test under the sun. Apart from polycystic ovaries (not pcos) there is no explanation for our troubled time. We were placed on to the NHS waiting list for IVF in July and the wait is currently 6-8 months long.

I'm currently using cb opks to attempt to get pregnant naturally but I am slowly accepting that this is the path we've got to walk.

So any tips for getting.in the best shape? Anyone due to go through treatment around the same time and looking for someone to handhold?

I should add that I've recently cut out gluten, I exercise a fair bit (walking) and I am due to see an accupuncturist and nutritional therapist soon.

NoCupcakesOrCocktails Tue 27-Aug-13 17:37:36

Hi Bugs

I think I've seen you about in conception as unfortunately I've also been hanging about for the past few years! I'm really sorry to heard about your miscarriages and chemicals. I'll be keeping everything crossed for a natural BFP for you.

Have you checked out the Egg buddies thread in conception? it's a really supportive thread and everyone knows their stuff.

I had my first ICSI cycle in July, I got a BFP but miscarried at 5 weeks. First off I would recommend getting an IVF book or looking on fertility friends website if you need info on how it all works (the local pages on FF forum are great to get an idea of timescales/how it works at your clinic) I have the Zita West IVF book which tells you everything you need to know albeit in a preachy "just relax" way.

For me I focused on eating healthily as my diet can be a bit crap. Also during stimming you need to drink lots of water and eat loads of protein. I starting increasing my water and protein about a month before IVF to try to get used to it as I don't really drink much water and I'm more of a carbs girl.
I stopped drinking alcohol about 5 months before the IVF which is excessive most people just stop during treatment. I stopped to support my DH as his SA was crap and our consultant told him to stop then.

I had acupuncture from a few weeks before my IVF cycle.

All you can do really is try to be in good shape before hand which it sounds like your already doing. Good luck x

NoCupcakesOrCocktails Tue 27-Aug-13 17:41:57

Oh and I meant to say ill probably be doing my next cycle around the same time as I've got to wait about 6 months again as I'm NHS. I'm planning on drowning my sorrows for the next few weeks and then getting back to clean living in October.

OhBuggerMe Tue 27-Aug-13 19:55:34

Hey cupcakes thanks for the info. Sorry to learn of your.mc. This whole thing really tests every fibre of your being doesn't it.

I used to be Buggerlugs but got grumpy so namechanged!

Id not thought about the egg buddies thread despite knowing its there. Thanks! I don't want to join just yet until its a bit nearer.

Although I've been on the conception boards for waaaay too long, I've met some fabulous people.and one of those people is posting me and ivf book this week to borrow. Another is sending me a woo relaxation cd.

Bamboobambino Thu 29-Aug-13 18:56:03

What worked for me:
2nd ICSI cycle...
Getting fit in the lead up to the cycle, optimised my weight.
Took pregnacare.
Aspirin steroids and intralipids
Nothing alternative or woo, not worth wasting your money.
I have twins aged 3 months
We were advised to move to ICSI even though we had no male factor issues. It turned out to be good advice

Jacs1974 Sun 01-Sep-13 15:49:19

Hi everyone

I recently had my second ectopic pregnancy and have lost both my tubes in the process, being told that IVF is the only way that we will have children.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to cope with this and also tell me how they went about picking clinics/waiting on the NHS and what areas are worse/better for waiting times?

Any info and words of wisdom would be great as this seems to be a long, complex and overwhelming process!

OhBuggerMe Sun 01-Sep-13 19:11:12

Hey jacs you've had one hell of a tough journey. My clinic offers counselling, have you considered it?

Bamboobambino Sun 01-Sep-13 20:06:04

Oh dear, jacs. I don't know if it helps but I went into IVF, and later ICSI with no tubes. I lost one to an ectopic and the other to a hydrosalpinx.
I was told, and read online that in some ways, the tubes having been removed can increase the success rate of IVF. If the tubes were damaged, theory goes that fluid can accumulate in the tubes and trickle down into the uterine cavity where it is embyotoxic thus reducing success rates of the IVF after embryo transfer. So, try and look on it as a positive in terms of the IVF process

mammmamia Sun 01-Sep-13 23:03:59

Hi OP

We went through ICSI purely due to male factor.
I basically just got in shape and was the fittest I'd ever been by the time we started treatment which helped me personally emotionally and physically.
Took vits, had some acupuncture. DH gave up alcohol but I didn't until the treatment started.
I found the fertility friends site and message boards very helpful as you're likely to find people in exactly your situation, going through the stages at the same time.
I have 3 year old twins.
Best of luck to you.

Sammy13x Tue 03-Sep-13 10:58:57

Hi ladies. Im currently waiting for my ivf referral to go through.... unfortunatley were self funding as hubby has 2 kids. Im 26 and been ttc for 5years now. Been on clomid for the last 4 months and now been told ivf is the only option. Were unexplained infertility. Im scared and dont know what to think. Its just reassuring to know ur not alone during these hard times. Im not sure what to expect and feel success rates arent very high and its a lot of money for it to fail! Can anyone relate to that or do I sound selfish? X

OhBuggerMe Tue 03-Sep-13 20:30:50

Sammy thats exactly how I feel. If someone said "give me £5k for a 30% chance of winning your dream home / car / holiday" we'd tell them to get stuffed but its the exact thing we're doing with IVF!

EqualsX Tue 03-Sep-13 21:08:35

Hi OP,

We were really lucky that our first ICSI cycle was successful after three years "unexplained". I guess my tips would be...

- Both me and DH I cut out all caffeine and alcohol, and generally tried to make sure we were eating healthily and drinking plenty of water.
- Took pregnacare vits.

Other stuff:

- I like to feel quite "in control" so spent a lot of time reading up on the procedure, success rates etc. I think this can backfire as it becomes a bit much - feels like all we thought about was the IVF - it is a ridiculous cliche but wish i'd relaxed a bit.

- I told one friend and no family and i'm very glad we decided that as the stress from family especially would have been too much.

- Keep on top of your clinic! We called to follow up everything as soon as possible, ended up getting a much earlier slot due to cancellation. I really think its worth letting them know that you are available at short notice and dont sit around waiting for the next stage in the referral - try and be proactive about making sure blood tests come back in time, drugs delivery is being organised etc.

Hope that's helpful! Good luck!

JRsandCoffee Wed 04-Sep-13 21:04:23

Hi,

Tried hard not to look at stats, internet etc and to trust the professionals and their advice, after all they are the experts.

I did acupuncture, mainly I fear so that I could dement at the poor acupuncturist, but tried to confine my flapping to him and not think about it after I had done the injections in the morning.

Stopped drinking when I started down regging, would have been too dehydrating.......

Drank buckets of water and ate masses of avocado as I read somewhere that this was a good food to eat.

I think I mostly stopped drinking caffeine (apart from morning tea) during the cycle too.

Otherwise carried on much as normal, told a couple of friends and my parents as egg collection was a GA. My main friend that I confided in was actually pregnant and she was just brilliant, so don't necessarily discount staying close to preg friends even if it looks hard on paper.

Listened to my body, largely cracked on as normal but if I was suddenly tired, thirsty whatever I addressed it ASAP in whatever way was needed.

We were lucky first time with a SET and I was nearly 38.

Good luck! X

FourGates Wed 04-Sep-13 21:13:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhBuggerMe Thu 05-Sep-13 07:50:50

Hey everyone. Thank you.very.much for your tips & stories. I feel a tad more in control.

I've.started accupuncture this week.and intend to continue to treatment and beyond. I'm also eating well and walking lots but not over doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now