ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

hysterosalpingogram? what does it involve??

(15 Posts)
ifonly678 Wed 31-Jul-13 23:06:36

being sent for the hysterosalpingogram next week and im a little scared. my husband can't come with me as his work are pain in the arses.. taking a very good friend of mine. but im panicking a little.. any advice on what to do on the day?

PoppadomPreach Wed 31-Jul-13 23:22:50

Try not to worry too much - and don't google too much either!

I found it uncomfortable but not really much more so than a smear. I did take paracetamol and ibuprofen BEFORE the procedure however which I'm sure helped.

The whole procedure is like a smear, but longer and with more people in the room. I could watch the results on the screen (I see the liquid in the tubes) and it was quite interesting - and consultant was able to confirm all was ok there and then.

Yes I'm glad I don't have to do it every day, but it really isn't that bad

Good luck - with this and, more importantly, in your journey to getting pregnant

Dreamy33 Thu 01-Aug-13 09:00:14

Hi ifonly.

Like poppadompreach said, it's not the most pleasant thing to do but it certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting after googling hsg!

I also took ibuprofen beforehand and I'm sure that helped. I felt discomfort for about 30 seconds when all of the liquid was in but apart from that, it was like a smear in many ways.

Best thing about it in my opinion was that they could give results immediately which was a relief. I drove myself there and back and attended alone and it was ok. I treated myself to a tea and cake in the cafe afterwards for being so brave!!

Good luck with yours.

ifonly678 Thu 01-Aug-13 11:28:29

thank you for sharing your experience. im only 24. so not had a smear yet.. I have my bag full of pain killers ready for the day.. have been told to have a full bladder do you know why? this will be fun as the car journey to the hospital is 40 mins away... yeah it will be worth it if it helps my journey to getting pregnant smile

IWantOneNow Thu 01-Aug-13 22:26:33

Hi there. I had one recently and like the others said it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I took Nurofen 2 hrs before. The only bit that hurts really is when the dye goes in. It's just like bad period cramps but it only lasts 20 seconds or so. Didn't feel sore afterwards either. I went with my mum who drove me home but I didn't really need her too as it didn't hurt after at all. I did have some bleeding for a couple of days after tho. Good luck, if u do go ahead with IVF I'm sure we'll have worse than this to go thro!!! wink

ifonly678 Thu 01-Aug-13 23:58:24

iwantonenow
yeah I can see what u mean but the pain would be worth it... I just think its a littlw daunting. havent even told my parents me and dh are trying.. think my mum has an inkling.. mothers intuition I guess.. I think its just going through it without dh being with me.. he has been to every appt so far... if it wasnt for his work hed be with me for this one. none of my friends has been through this and if it wasnt for mumsnet id be tearing my hair out right about now smile thank you for sharing smile

Jeebs Fri 02-Aug-13 00:09:42

Like others said its not the most pleasant of things to have.
I had one about 4/5yrs ago before I was given clomid and its just a strange experience.
The key is to have painkillers before hand and to relax.
I have a weird cervix so it was difficult to put the dye in and then I had really strong spasms which did make me cry out as I wasnt expecting it, but I was able to stay still long enough for them to take the series of xrays they needed to check everything was ok.
It should all be fine, but don't beat yourself up of you can't go through with it, there was a woman in the next theatre/xray room to me who was shouting abd crying having it done and the nurses said to me it can be worse if you have scar tissue.

Just read that back and I aound horrible, but I just wanted to give you a rounded view x

ifonly678 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:46:42

Slightly off putting i guess but this is something I have to do if it helps me in the long run.... Just wish Tuesday would hurry up... Have loads of painkillers on hand...

eurochick Fri 02-Aug-13 13:28:44

Poppadom's description is exactly what I would have said.

I took a couple of ibruprofen beforehand and didn't even know they had put the dye in until they told me it was all done.

My husband came with me, but I was fine afterwards - I sent him off to work and strolled the mile or so home by myself.

ifonly678 Mon 05-Aug-13 16:28:39

d day is tomorrow.... my boss has given me 3 days off.. my handbag is packed full of pain killers and the anti biotics I was given... just google mapped the hospital and its an hour away... plus there are road works. lovely.. guess ill be up at 5am lol.. thank you all for sharing your experience with me. its kinda put my mind at rest.. grin

ifonly678 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:24:36

was really suprised today... it wasnt that bad... have had slight spotting and mild cramps but other than that ive been fine.. they were worried that I may have a reaction to the dye used as im allergic to shell fish.... had my coffee, pills and a biscuit and was sent on my way... the poor lady who was after me.. I told her it wasnt that bad but I could still hear her crying bless her... thank you all for being here for advice. youve all been great grin

eurochick Tue 06-Aug-13 17:25:40

I'm glad it wasn't too bad ifonly. You can cross that one off the list now!

ifonly678 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:56:36

yep only two more bloods to do then for the final results.in October. october will be a good month its my 24th bday.. my dad comes home from saudi Arabia for 2 weeks so its an early xmas for us lol....

lucytee Wed 14-Aug-13 23:18:22

Hi ladies would really like some advise I had my hsg done and the result showed my left tube was partially blocked but also the consultant said that it showed inconsistencies in my womb cavity , does any one know what this may mean or had this? I'm really worried at what it may be as it wasn't explained to me proply sad x

ifonly678 Thu 15-Aug-13 00:22:45

hi lucytee...
unfortunatly I would not know... best not to google it all. as I did and got myself all worked up. make an appointment to see your doctor and ask for it all to explained in a language you understand... my dotors are the same and dont really tell me whats happening I just turn up and then make an appointment with another doctor who I understand...
I dont get all my results till october.. which is a pain as I wanna know now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now