Gaining weight to obtain treatment?

(4 Posts)
Fraggle78 Tue 09-Jul-13 14:04:19

Just after a bit of advice really…

In brief – I’m 34 and Mr G is 32. I was on the pill for donkey’s years and came off in Nov 2011 because AF had stopped and I wasn’t convinced by the nurse’s explanation that this was normal and we knew that we would eventually TTC. Had no AF until March 2012, then one or two and then nothing from August 2012 – Christmas. Went to GP and was shunted off for various hormone tests which came back OK, but also had an ultrasound which revealed an ovarian cyst. This was removed in April this year and they also did a dye test, which showed that the tubes are fine. Following the removal of the cyst I had a perfect 28 day cycle and thought that everything had clicked back into gear, but now AF has gone AWOL. We are TTC but numerous pregnancy tests have come up negative, so this doesn’t seem to be the culprit.

I have my post op check up in a couple of weeks and would really like to try and get referred to the fertility bods if possible because it seems fairly clear that something is not working and might need helping along. However, I have been reading the guidelines for my PCT and they state that in order to be considered for fertility treatment in my area you have to have a BMI of 19 or above. Mine hovers around the 18.5 mark, despite me eating like a horse, and although I am by no means wasting away I don’t want to turn up to the appointment just to be told that I have to go away and gain weight before I can be referred. The last doctor I saw before the op muttered something along these lines, which I guess is why I have been thinking about it.

I’m just wondering whether anyone else has had any issues obtaining a referral because they were considered underweight? I’m more than happy to spend the next couple of weeks eating cake if that’s what it takes. I'm also sorry if this really annoys anyone who is desperately trying to lose weight for the same reason!

Thanks

HoopHopes Tue 09-Jul-13 22:07:08

Hi in order to have any fertility treatment your BMI has to be between 19 and 30, the rationale being weight either side of those figures can be a cause of infertility. Sounds like you already had some fertility tests, has your dh had a Semen analysis as that would be the next step if not which a go can order before referral.

ExpatWifey Thu 11-Jul-13 09:02:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fraggle78 Fri 12-Jul-13 08:53:21

Thanks , that's reassuring. It's really the fact that the last doctor I saw ( who was a bit useless, to be honest) felt the need to mention the weight thing which has got me thinking. I am by no means underweight - I just happen to be reasonably tall and of a slim build, but I'm trying to pre empt anything they might say next so that we can get going with trying to kick start everything. Every time I go to an appointment I seem to come out kicking myself for not having asked various things which then occur to me, so am hoping this won't happen this time.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now