Embryos die day 3

(36 Posts)
Londongirl84 Sat 08-Jun-13 08:27:49

I am currently in my 2ww. We went from 18 fertilised day 1 to 11 good embryos day 3 to one morula and one early blast day 5. Why did so many due on day 3?
I can't stop panicking about this. I'm devastated sad

freelancescientist Sun 09-Jun-13 20:25:28

Men with MF issues - esp low counts- have been found to produce a higher proportion of sperm with genetic abnormalities - problems with the chromosomes in the sperm. This is a separate issue to the DNA damage, (which is when the DNA in the sperm head is broken up). Also if you have fewer sperm to pick from then you have less chance of finding a good, healthy sperm.
Genetic abnormalities are far and away the most frequent reason for embryos growing poorly in the lab - they can arise from the egg or the sperm but with MF infertility it is more likely to be the sperm. Generally ICSI embryos are more likely to arrest in culture - either because of problems with the egg or sperm, or because of the invasive nature of the procedure itself.

Please also remember that it has been estimated that only 1 in 10 of all embryos created (after assisted conception or 'normally' ever become a live birth)

Londongirl84 Sun 09-Jun-13 20:35:31

Thank you so very much freelancescientist. This is so interesting. Can I ask what you do? Are you an embryologist?
So how can you get round the chromosome issues? X

Londongirl84 Mon 10-Jun-13 08:54:10

I find all this advice so useful. Anyone else with words of wisdom? x

Londongirl84 Mon 10-Jun-13 16:20:24

Sorry freelancescientist- another question...! How quickly could my morula and early blast have turned into a fully developed blast once inside? X

rattling Mon 10-Jun-13 16:48:00

SET - single embryo transfer. I was worried about the additional risks of a twin pregnancy.

And we were doing ICSI too, due to MF issues.

freelancescientist Mon 10-Jun-13 21:28:16

I'm an embryologist, yes. Only way round chromosome issues is donor gametes I'm afraid. Morula and early blast should have grown to blast within 12-24 hours and implantation begin around day 6- day 7, but the levels of pregnancy hormone is not reliably high enough to detect until 14 days post egg collection even in blood.

Londongirl84 Tue 11-Jun-13 05:20:03

Thank you again for your replies. It's so touching that people that you all take the time to help me like this.
Freelance- I pray that we won't need donor gametes, that just seems like such an awful option sad I hope at least on of my two are snug and very keen to stay!! X

Lolapink Tue 11-Jun-13 06:03:21

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant after ICSI, 8 eggs collected 6 fertilised. Only 1 made it a 5 day early blast. Best of luck!

Londongirl84 Tue 11-Jun-13 06:45:07

Thank you Lolapink- I hope I have the same amazing result as you. Congratulations! A lovely story x

Londongirl84 Tue 11-Jun-13 07:35:55

DH did have some sort of genetic test after we discovered his low count, low motility, low morph...but because the results came back fine we never found out what it was all about. I wonder if this test tested chromosomes within the sperm x

Londongirl84 Tue 11-Jun-13 07:36:22

It was a genetic blood test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now