IUI- anyone else?

(189 Posts)
Artesia Thu 21-Mar-13 12:15:35

After 18 months ttc with no joy, DP and I had a full battery of tests, but came back as a very frustrating case of unexplained infertility.

Given DP's age, we decided we didn't want to just wait and see if we got lucky naturally, so we're now in our first cycle of IUI- had my trigger shot yesterday, and going in for insemination this afternoon. Am ridiculously nervous - way more than I thought I would be- but trying not to get my hopes up as I know the stats for IUI.

Anyone else going through IUI at the moment and fancy some mutual support and hand holding?

Artesia Thu 16-May-13 22:59:43

Had an early scan at 6+4 and saw the heartbeat, which was hugely reassuring, but the last one was more "real" in a way as it actually looked like a proper little person. S/he even gave us a little wave.

Just counting down to 12 weeks now, with everything crossed.

How are the 2ww'ers doing? Hope the days are flying past

BlindKitty Fri 17-May-13 02:42:32

artesia just re-read your post and noted you've already had an early scan duh! Did you get offered it or did you have to pay for it?

ScarlettInSpace Fri 17-May-13 07:26:46

kitty I think early scans are the norm with all assisted conceptions wink that's when the fertility clinic will discharge you to midwife/GP care...

art I can't believe it's been a week today, halfway there! Just need to sit on my hands for another week... Trying very hard to prepare for disappointment whilst thinking positive and believing it could work!

BlindKitty Fri 17-May-13 08:27:04

scarlett never got that far to find out but hoping for next months iui bfp (unless of course today's dh's swimmers hang around as ovulating on plane home from Thailand tomorrow). What happens if you're pregnant? do you just call the fc or does gp do it? Really praying for you.

Artesia Fri 17-May-13 10:14:03

Time seems to be flying Scarlett. Fingers crossed the next week goes quickly too. Are you going to wait the full two weeks to test? I swore blinding would, then caved on day 12!!

Kitty I had my iui done privately, so unfortunately had to pay for everything. They do a 6ish week and a 9ish week scan as standard though.

ScarlettInSpace Fri 17-May-13 12:53:57

i have to call the clinic then they will book me in for a scan 4 weeks later, if also is ok then they discharge me to gps surgery i guess... thanks for the positive thoughts x

Happilymarried155 Fri 17-May-13 15:20:29

I'm not going to able to start iui this month as period is going to arrive on a Monday! Trying not to be annoyed about it, it's only a one month delay!

BlindKitty Fri 17-May-13 15:31:31

artesia was it positive at 12dpo? Bet your so pleased you decided to fork out for it though!

happily how come it can't be on a Monday? Sorry , I'm very new to this whole iui thing!

Happilymarried155 Fri 17-May-13 16:13:09

At my clinic cd1 has to be on a fri, sat or Sunday. If it comes on any other day I have to take some drugs to ensure that it comes 28 days later on a fri-sun. It's all very complicated! Had got myself all prepared to start this month but never mind!

BlindKitty Fri 17-May-13 16:29:26

Oh that's rubbish! Maybe my clinic is the same?

Happilymarried155 Fri 17-May-13 16:33:57

I'm not sure, I think it's a pretty general thing in the West Midlands. Although on the plus side I have a lot going on in June and would probably be good to wait until July when I have a quiet stress free month!

ScarlettInSpace Fri 17-May-13 17:17:04

art I think if I make it to Weds I will be doing well, that will be 12pdiui, I really am impatient & want to know but on the otherhand I want live in the bubble of not knowing for as long as possible... Also have some big social plans for the Bank Holiday weekend so feel like the sooner I know the sooner I can plan my outfits [or, more hopefully, my excuses ggaaaaahhhhhhhhh]

happily personally I think I would stretch a Monday back to Sunday to be honest, but I think you said you OH may struggle with timings this month? take it as an omen, relax stop thinking about it [hahahahaha] and you might get your ironic BFP wink

kitty make sure you dtd the deed before you leave Thailand [last holiday quickie] and as soon as you get back [home sweet home quickie] and enjoy the fact you can still have quickies apparently they disappear once kids are around lol you will be covered on the mile high ov!

I was convinced I was going to come on on the Monday this time but the wicked witch arrived in full force the Sunday so didn't have to bend the truth in the end..

Happilymarried155 Fri 17-May-13 18:33:10

Yes in all fairness timings are not great this month and I'm going on holiday so would have had to do first injections abroad. I think it's probably fate and I'm glad the decision was taken out of my hands. Like you say you never know it might still happen naturally!

Scarlett I bet the waiting is driving you mad! It's so hard! I do so much symptom spotting!

BlindKitty Sun 19-May-13 04:56:42

happily I go to the Birmingham women's so quite possibly. You never know you might still have an ironic pre iui holiday bfp (that's what I'm hoping for)

scarlett dtd before we left but neither of us could face it when we got home yesterday. We were so tired we couldn't even face driving for the cat! Don't think I've ov'd yet anyway. How you feeling?

WeeNoggi Sun 19-May-13 08:13:49

Good luck Scarlett I'm 12 days past IUI on Tuesday. I can't bear POAS and seeing any more fricking single lines though so will take doc's advice to wait till Thursday.

May have to ask DH to confiscate the tests though smile

ScarlettInSpace Sun 19-May-13 10:12:02

Oooh good luck to you too! I find so long as I get past the first wee of the day I can tell myself doing a test any later in the day is pointless!

I said to OH about confiscating the tests, all I got was this face --> confused and 'Why don't you just not test until you're late?!' honestly, they have no idea!!

BlindKitty Sun 19-May-13 14:31:28

scarlett and wee dh only just realised I've started buying pg tests in 25 off amazon!!!

ScarlettInSpace Tue 21-May-13 10:59:14

Well I got a bit of spotting last night so looks like I'm out this month, now just got to hope it takes the usual 3-4 days and doesn't arrive fully until Thursday night/Friday so I can try again...

Artesia Tue 21-May-13 13:33:56

Sorry to hear that Scarlett, but don't give up hope- spotting doesn't necessarily mean is all over for this month. Fingers still crossed fo ryou

BlindKitty Tue 21-May-13 21:06:17

scarlett what artesia said! If it does arrive when can you do another iui?

My iui apparantly won't start until aug sad so fed up with waiting

ScarlettInSpace Wed 22-May-13 08:51:53

kitty that will be here before you know it, we're nearly in June now as it is!

Well AF has landed in full force, even I can't kid myself it's implantation, unless I'm implanting an elephant.

Am annoyed it couldn't wait until tomorrow when I could've pushed it to Friday for the clinic angry but I think I'm going to have a month off anyway.... My head needs a break!

art I'll be checking in to see how your 12week scan goes!

Good luck guys, see you in a month or so x

BlindKitty Wed 22-May-13 19:35:47

Scarlett left a message on the brooking thread. I'm really gutted for you. You take a (well deserved) break xxxxx

WeeNoggi Fri 24-May-13 02:17:35

sorry to hear that Scarlett

WeeNoggi Tue 28-May-13 05:22:31

OK, no digital tests in my part of the world but 7 progressively darker cheapo tests over 6 days makes a BFP, I reckon gringringrin

I'm really glad I've been on this thread. I was feeling really low up to this cycle. I also got cramps like Artesia - as if I was being stabbed in the gut. Feeling much better and less windy since finishing the revolting progestrone bullets though.

Now just a bit nervous because I took drugs to stimulate two follicles / eggs

Artesia Tue 28-May-13 11:56:11

Oh that's great news WeeNoggi- am so pleased for you!!!

And try not to panic too much - I had two follicles, but only one baby showed up on the scans not that you'd believe it if you saw the size of my tummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now