Hydrosalpinx, Essure sterilisation or tubal drainage prior to IVF?! Help!(11 Posts)
I have been diagnosed with one faulty tube today and told I need laparoscopy to ensure that IVF has better chance of success.
Mumtonoone how have you been getting on? How long did you have to wait in the end to have IVF after the procedure you had?
Thank you so much for your messages and for sharing your experiences.
It gives me hope to hear that even after your hellish experiences some of you have gone on to have your longed for babies! For those still trying I feel for you.
Laparoscopy was not an option as I have had several abdominal surgeries and they said it was too high risk for me. Every doctor I approached refused to do this procedure. Tubal drainage or Essure were my only option.
Well after a heck of alot of thinking I decided to go for the Essure sterilisation and had it yesterday!
It was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make but realistically my hydrosalpinx meant that my fallopian tubes were redundant and if anything they were hindering my chances of pregnancy. After months of being totally confused and torn as to what I should do, it was such a relief to make a decision an go ahead with the procedure.
I had a general anaesthetic - due to my own complicated history - and today I feel tired and sore - like a heavy period. Now I have to wait for 3 months to see if the Essure has blocked the tubes and therefore eradicated the hydrosalpinx. If it has then we can start IVF.
Thank you so much primafacie. Knowing that people can go on to have children is exactly what I need to hear! You have articulated exactly what I've been thinking and feeling. We found out after a year of trying that dh has very low sperm count, so I've known for a while that we have to have icsi. That was a trauma at the time because this was not the way I imagined getting pregnant. I got my head a round it though and just before Xmas I went in to have the pre ivf scan and then i was told that my right tube looks to be filled with fluid. I'm booked in to have a lap and it is likely the dr will remove it. I know it has to go if it is damaged. I don't need it anyway for ivf, but it still feels like a big thing. I also feel that because we already have severe male factor, and now we've added tubal issues to the mix that our chances are so much slimmer. So, it's lovely to read that you have had two successful pregnancies.
Thanks Mrsden. I am sorry you are feeling down. In case this gives you a bit more hope - I have a really awful history, including male and female infertility factors on top of the hydrosalpinx/removed tubes. I also suffered a placental abruption and lost a twin in my last pregnancy.
I remember very vividly the darkness that surrounded the diagnosis, treatment and complications. I also remember that despite the fact that my tubes absolutely HAD to go, and the circumstances were very dramatic because of the burst tube and internal bleeding, I still "mourned" the loss of my (useless, damaged) tubes after the salpingectomy. I didn't like the fact that a part of me had been taken away. And despite the fact that I already had fertility issues, I also had to accept the very black-and-white fact that I would NEVER get pregnant naturally, that there was zero hope for this unlikely-but-still-remotely-possible natural pregnancy. I was also very angry against the expensive private clinic who did not advise me to stop my IVF treatment when they saw the hydrosalpinx - this was totally the wrong decision and, in my view, a very clear cut case of medical negligence.
However, I did go on to have two successful pregnancies (out of 4 IVF cycles) and my family is now complete. All this to say, eventually you do come out of this dark place, and life becomes normal again. Please don't despair, there is light at the end of that tunnel!
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Congratulations on your baby girl rayofsun. It's lovely to hear of a positive ending because I feel a little like there is no light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.
I'm so sorry that you had to go through an ectopic primafacie my dr did say that this would be more likely with hydrosalpinx. His view is that if the tube is damaged then it should go in order to give us the best chance of ivf working.
Hi, I had IVF in spite of the IVF clinic having identified I had a hydrosalpinx in one tube - they did not suggest interrupting tx. As a result, I ended up with an ectopic pregnancy in my (other, previously heathy) tube as the fluid from the hydro washed the pregnancy away. My tube burst and I needed to have emergency surgery because of a massive internal bleed, as well as both tubes removed. Our next IVF cycle after tubes removed was successful.
Since then, I have read a lot on hydros and IVF and I don't think that just draining the fluid is a good option as the fluid tends to build up again. I think the safest option is to have your tubes removed prior to IVF. The ectopic was really hellish - I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Sorry for delayed response. Yes, I was very fortunate and now have a beautiful baby girl. I was advised to take 2 weeks of work but I felt fine after 6 days. . I think you just have to be conscious of internal healing as although I felt pretty good But ended up lifting something heavy in an emergency and definitely felt like I 'pulled' something which I think contributed to my delayed recovery. It was a short op, less than an hour, but I was advised to stay overnight which I was glad for. My consultant uses this fluid to wash out your pelvis and although he warned me about it leaking, I was not quite prepared how much it would leak both vaginally and also from the laparoscopic incisions! I was like a soggy sponge!
It sounds like you were told the same as me rayofsun. I was only given two options, do nothing or remove the tube. The doctor said leaving the tube was not a good idea because it's not a good environment for the embryo. Can I ask if your ivf was successful? Also, how was the operation to remove the tube? How long did it take to recover?
Hi there. I had a r sided hydrosalpinx and was advised tube removal prior to ivf. Had tube removed in Jan followed by ivf in July ( to give you timeframe). Was told that possible fluid leakage could be detrimental to ivf. No nothing about other option so sorry can't comment!!!
I've only recently found out I have fluid in my right tube, so I'm no expert but would it not be better for you to have the tubes removed via laparoscopy? Was this given as an option? We need to have ivf anyway because of male factor. My doctor is of the view that the tube should go because it can negatively effect the success of ivf. If you need ivf anyway and the tubes are damaged, would it not be better to be rid of them and to give yourself the best chance of ivf working?
I need some advice please! Think I am driving myself mad trying to make the right decision and getting nowehere fast!
I have bilateral hydrosalpinges from previous abdominal surgery. IVF is my only fertility option.
Doctors won't tie the tubes laporoscipally as too dangerous so have offered either tubal drainage at the time of egg collection or Essure sterilisation to block the tubes. I don't know what to do? I'm 38 so time is running out! There is a 3 month wait after Essure but I've heard tubal drainage doesn't have great success rates. Essure is still very new in the realms of IVF and hydrosalpinx and little information on it.
Anyone else looked into this and had to make such a decision? Anyone know which has a better success rate? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Join the discussion
Please login first.