IVF overseas

(8 Posts)
buzzybee123 Thu 30-Aug-12 21:11:24

We are looking at our options for IVF and have been given information on clinics overseas, one in Poland and another in the Czech Republic. I am weighing up the pros and cons but wondered if any of you have had/thought of IVF overseas and if you did could I ask where??

Thank you

colafrosties Mon 03-Sep-12 14:04:26

Hi buzzybee123 - we went to Reprofit in Brno in the Czech Republic. We found them well organised and professional. I've written a bit more about it on this other thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/infertility/1475646-Treatment-abroad-experiences-please but am happy to let you know more if you would like any further details.

Jackie

buzzybee123 Mon 03-Sep-12 17:24:50

thank you so much its a total mind field and I feel so out of my depth with it all

colafrosties Mon 03-Sep-12 22:40:10

We felt like that too - ended up with information/stress overload, trying to compare details of clinics from several countries when the information provided by them wasn't always directly comparable or complete, regarding costs, success rates, waiting times etc.

Reading the fertility friends international message boards helped a lot (it took us a while to come across them), and also in the end the feeling that whatever we did was going to be a leap of faith. So when I had an email from the clinic we did eventually choose, offering me a definite date as there had just been a cancellation I just decided we'd analysed and agonised enough and now was the time to go with the flow.

Anyway, good luck with it all, and if I could say one thing it would be to read about people's experiences and ask around on fertility friends if you have questions specific to the clinics you're interested in or questions about the particular type of treatment you're looking for.

buzzybee123 Fri 14-Sep-12 17:56:05

colafrosties thank you I have had a quick look at the fertility friend website, you are right about the info overload, we have a spread sheet for it all hmm

Phineyj Fri 14-Sep-12 18:15:46

We went to Thessaloniki in Greece (first of the two links below -- the other clinic is in Athens and run by the same people). The clinic was recommended by our UK consultant and we found them very helpful, and not that expensive. I got pregnant on the second try. Their success rates are higher than in the UK.

www.iakentro.gr
www.genesisathens.gr

It is a leap of faith but there's no need to believe all the gloomy stuff on the HFEA website -- other countries have modern health systems too. You're not taking your life in your hands if you go outside the UK.

That said, I feel it is very unfair that people like us are forced to travel thousands of miles for an outpatient procedure that could be done in the UK if the legislation wasn't so restrictive.

Also, if you do go abroad, be prepared for friends & relations to treat it as a bit of a jolly, just because it is abroad (WTF is that about -- I would MUCH rather have done it in the UK if that option had been open). I did, at times, feel like I needed a press officer as people were so interested in the ins and outs of it, so to speak, and the ethics. I just felt it wasn't like they'd been in our shoes having to make the decisions we were faced with, and appreciated the people who offered support rather than sending me links to information about alternative treatments (because it worked for them/their friend/some random person they met once).

Good luck!

buzzybee123 Sat 15-Sep-12 20:12:20

phineyj thank you for your post, I have been ill in Prague and received excellent care so I am more than happy to go overseas but I agree I feel pi**ed off that I have to go overseas to get the treatment. I'm not sure how many people I would tell, the only ones I have are people who have been through similar and people I feel I can trust hmm. I was amazed at times at some of the comments I received when I miscarried, some people really just don't think.

Cathy347 Wed 05-Jun-13 11:50:56

Hi all!

I went to Reprogenesis in Czeh Republic too and I can recommend it. Clinic staff speak perfect english and even I was really nervous (really afraid of going to this country i have never heard of before my research about IVF abroad) everything went fine. They were really helpful with whole process.
My reasons why I went there were financial and also time. Now I am pregnant with boy and already sure I will want to have another baby in future, anybody here has experience with two IVFs??
Thank you for your answers! Hope I ve helped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now