Couldn't do HSG

(6 Posts)
Buttercup01 Tue 07-Aug-12 15:40:19

Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this....

We have been TTC for over 2yrs, finally got referred to a fertility clinic & got HSG booked in all ready for Clomid.

Have just been to get HSG done and they couldn't do it due to my cervix being too small...they hinted that the next stage would be a lap & dye.

Anyone else had this with an HSG? And gone on to concieve??

Thank you!

Buttercup01 Tue 07-Aug-12 16:04:38

I forgot to add I have PCO.

I'd be asking them some tough questions as well as now seeking a second opinion. Have never heard of them not being able to do a HSG test due to cervix being too small. A lap operation is surgery albeit keyhole surgery but its surgery all the same.

Clomid is often given to women who present with PCO but you should be monitored whilst on it as it is really quite powerful stuff. No monitoring is not acceptable.

Buttercup01 Thu 09-Aug-12 18:26:56

Thank you for replying!

They spent a very undignified 45 minutes trying to do it and said they couldn't get even the smallest tube in so I will need to have GA to have my cervix dialated alongside a lap & dye. She said how small my cervix is may be part of the problem.

All very very frustrating!

Do you know if I'll need to wait for AF before lap & dye like HSG?

Thank you!!

freelancescientist Thu 09-Aug-12 18:35:12

This very occasionally happens with ladies having embryo transfer when the catheter won't pass through and they need a dilation before another attempt - hence why most clinics do a dummy transfer before starting treatment. The canal through the cervix can be very narrow or very twisty and difficult to get a tube through without causing you a lot of discomfort.

Not sure how quickly you'll get your date for a lap and dye/cervical dilation and hope it doesn't delay things too long for you.
Good luck.

rabbitonthemoon Sat 25-Aug-12 16:30:55

Hi, I just saw this and hope you find it. This happened to me and it was pretty distressing being fiddled with to no avail having worked myself up to the HSG. They weren't sure why they couldn't get the catheter in so I had a lap two months later. The lap showed a fibroid blocking the way and they still weren't able to get a catheter in! Mine is a very long story but what happened was the fibroid (or actually they now think it was a cyst) resolved a few weeks before I had surgery to remove it, the surgery went ahead because it had been there 5 weeks previously and when they opened me up it has mysteriously vanished... Downer! But, they dilated my cervix during the op and i finally got to hear i have lovely open tubes but an awkward bugger of a cervix. With all this palaver, I've not really been able to try much this year but I'm back on the shit train now. I have a tilted uterus which also contributes to making the cervix tricky, yay me! BUT I've been reassured I can still have ivf now my cervix has been dilated (with a small chance I may need another dilation) which has made me feel marginally better.

I'm sure things won't be anywhere near as complicated for you, but I thought it might help to have the contact of someone who has been through something similar. I've no idea if this is why I haven't conceived in 17 cycles, my cons isn't entirely sure either. I have no other probs. I'm going it naturally til Xmas, looking to start treatment in January.

freelance is it rare that you can't do ivf? This has been a big worry for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now