Anyone else reckon that the powers that be MUST have known about the effing volcano?

(100 Posts)
blinks Sat 17-Apr-10 18:25:17

surely they must have had word before we officially found out... imagine the fallout if we had known earlier- no-one would have booked airline tickets and companies would have gone into meltdown.

now they can declare it an act of god and not pay out.

interesting that.

GypsyMoth Sat 17-Apr-10 18:29:40

Volcanos can rumble away for years, as many others are doing now.......surely you know that???

BariatricObama Sat 17-Apr-10 18:30:37

don't be a nob of course it is an act of god.

Rockbird Sat 17-Apr-10 18:32:20

How would they have known? And even had they known a little bit before, how much difference would it have made?

"let's not go to Spain for our hols in case a volcano flings ash out into the atmosphere and prevents all planes from flying..."

Not everything is a conspiracy y'know.

Goblinchild Sat 17-Apr-10 18:35:20

Few peoples in the world are as experienced at co-existing with volcanic activity as the Icelanders, and it caught them by surprise.

Did you also look out of the window and say
'I can't see any ash, they're lying and in cahoots with the ferry and rail companies?'

blinks Sat 17-Apr-10 18:35:25

i find it suspicious

<fondles beard>

and baraitric- if you're going to call me a knob have the good grace to spell it correctly. fanny.

blinks Sat 17-Apr-10 18:41:36

there was an eruption on the 21.3.10 and hundred were evacuated. there was talk of it triggering a bigger eruption soon. domestic flights were cancelled etc. funny that a plan of action wasn't implemented, no?

itsybitsy08 Sat 17-Apr-10 18:41:41

I doubt it really.
Maybe they did know, but didnt think it would be this bad?
We will never know probably.
it is an act of god. Even if they had known its not like they could have done anything about it! Sadly!

SoupDragon Sat 17-Apr-10 18:42:18

What sort of plan of action? Stick a large cork inthe top?

TheFallenMadonna Sat 17-Apr-10 18:44:36

So there was talk of an eruption?

So no cover-up then?

What kind of action plan?

Rockbird Sat 17-Apr-10 18:46:25

Soupy

Meglet Sat 17-Apr-10 18:47:09

blinks shall we get mulder + scully onto it hmm.

LetThereBeRock Sat 17-Apr-10 18:49:13

Thankyou for making me choke on my chow mein Soupdragon.angry

Goblinchild Sat 17-Apr-10 18:50:45

So Iceland has around 130 volcanoes, around 22 of which are currently active. Sounds like an action plan would involve emigration for all.

BariatricObama Sat 17-Apr-10 18:51:15

i spell it nob, nob

BitOfFun Sat 17-Apr-10 18:53:17

<passes blinks a tin-foil hat>

I wouldn't put it past them though. Y'know- them...

BitOfFun Sat 17-Apr-10 18:54:11

ROFL at the Nob Controversy- I use both. One for Pedants' Corner?

blinks Sat 17-Apr-10 18:54:27

you're thinking of hob nobs. penis.

blinks Sat 17-Apr-10 18:55:20

<makes shelter from tin foil>

Coolfonz Sun 18-Apr-10 09:25:00

Gnob.

CoteDAzur Sun 18-Apr-10 09:27:45

Goblin - Even without the volcanoes, who in their right minds would live that far north, anyway?

amidaiwish Sun 18-Apr-10 09:35:36

many insurance companies are calling it "adverse weather conditions" and are paying out. because it is the adverse weather (wind?) which has caused the ash cloud to hover causing the airspace to close.

i think that is quite good of them actually. am amazed the companies are able to cover it. my sister got a full refund on the holiday she was due to go on today (but she's still moaning)

skihorse Sun 18-Apr-10 09:47:55

soupy Some rocket scientist on the Daily Mail comments section has suggested that as Iceland is surrounded by water they could hose it down. <snigger>

pooka Sun 18-Apr-10 09:52:06

Think the idea of there being some international coverup with collusion between Iceland and other european countries AND the met office and other volcano watching agencies is risible.

So many variables. When will it blow? Which direction will the wind be blowing in and at what force? Could have completely missed us depending upon weather conditions. Don't think that many people would have cancelled holidays if there had been some wooly statement about "there is a volcano that might erupt but we don't know for sure, and if it does there may be a cloud of ash, but only if the weather is in the right direction".

theyoungvisiter Sun 18-Apr-10 09:53:14

Wow - you really are a conspiracy theorist aren't you?!

I expect it's Barack Obama with a ginormous fan blowing the ash across Europe to try to put European airlines out of business.

Or maybe it's the evil climate change lobbyists trying to put people off flying. Their East Anglian email scandal was exposed, so this is their fallback.

Or perhaps it's Mr Dyson trying to increase the European dust coverage to increase vacuum cleaner sales. He has set up a bagless vacuum cleaner in Spain and is sucking the dust across the UK in the hope that some of it will fall on suburban homes and have to be cleaned up.

And the powers that be are aiding and abetting in this because... er... because... well, because they are all BASTARDS. And they love to read the news and stroke their white cats and say "we knew you know, he he he he"

Actually my family are holidaying in the UK this year to avoid flying. Co-incidence? Or maybe something more sinister...

pooka Sun 18-Apr-10 09:54:56

I blame your family theyoungvisitor. They obviously have prior knowledge of this event. Who have they been talking to? HOw did they know this was going to happen? They're in the thick of it.

skihorse Sun 18-Apr-10 09:55:02

I heard Princess Di was living in a cabin near the volcano site but she upset the locals a la Liz Jones in Devon. <taps nose>

Nancy66 Sun 18-Apr-10 12:59:10

I do find it amusing that so many people refused to fly because of the risk of terrorism - but now when there actually is a genuine and serious risk to their safety they're clamouring to get on planes.

MmeLindt Sun 18-Apr-10 13:05:41

Don't you think that if the powers that be had known in advance, they would have made sure they were all tucked up at home safely.

Germany's Chancellor Merkel has spent days getting back from an overseas visit, flying via Portugal to Italy then driving up to Berlin.

Other world leaders have had their travel plans disrupted.

MrsGubbins Sun 18-Apr-10 13:30:55

I blame President Obama as well... he just couldn't be arsed to goto President Kaczynski's funeral so arranged for errant volcano eruption and yy to the big wind fan to blow volcanic ash all over Europe to make oh dear cannot travel noises when we all know that airforce one can fly in space or go underwater or somet, eh, eh... wink

skihorse Sun 18-Apr-10 13:41:49

I notice nobody's put blame where it belongs: Thatcher! grin

MerlinsBeard Sun 18-Apr-10 14:42:53

its been spewing ash for a month before it actually erupted.

ShowOfHands Sun 18-Apr-10 14:49:34

I blame bono. But then I blame bono for everything. Probably his expanding head causing a tectonic shift, causing lava movement, causing ash clouds, causing pollution that he can blether on about at a later date for a small fee and accompanying television exposure. Gnobb.

RunawayWife Sun 18-Apr-10 14:52:08

Sometimes God just likes to show us we are not as clever as we think we are,

theyoungvisiter Sun 18-Apr-10 14:52:32

well there's a lot of slebs in Iceland. In the 90s it seemed like you couldn't go a week without reading about some britpop band member buying a flat in Reykjavik.

So Bono seems like a fairly likely culprit to me too.

What do you expect Gordon Brown to do about it anyway? Stand on the side of the crater and command all the ash to get back inside?

Well there you go theyoungvisiter, lock Bono back into the concert lemon and the volcano will stop erupting and all will be right with the world.

Can I have any new friends for my 'Bono is really the Antichrist' facebook page?

I blame reality TV
"I'm magma, get me out of here"

If the powers that be could really accurately predict seismic activity then they would have been able to warn the residents of Haiti about the earthquake, not to mention China and Chili.

Or should they just be concentrating on warning air travellers when it would not be a good idea to buy tickets?

Ivykaty44 Sun 18-Apr-10 15:07:25

Even if they had known they wouldn't have realised that our normal south westerly winds would change at the same time and become northernly winds - would they?

As soon as we get our sourthenleys again everything will be ok - regardless as the wind will blow the ash north

franke Sun 18-Apr-10 15:07:43

Maybe "they've" found Osama and are smokin' him out.

RunawayWife Sun 18-Apr-10 15:12:28

Headline in the sun tomorrow will read....

Elvis alive and well, found BBQing in a volcano.....

Ivykaty44 Sun 18-Apr-10 15:17:42

I think the daily Mail organised this as they were getting bored of their other garbage headlines wink

This thread is hilarious!

I wonder how many aetheists will be demanding their insurers pay out - surely they would regard acts of God as a spurious excuse grin

RunawayWife Sun 18-Apr-10 15:22:04

Ok I admit it it was me I did it...so there

Ivykaty44 Sun 18-Apr-10 15:28:54

aetheists insurance is not valid if you are not god fearing grin

Aha - good double bind! grin

JackBauer Sun 18-Apr-10 15:58:16

I think the volcano just needs a sacrifice, and in solidarity with SOH I think we should sacrifice Bono, if only to shut him up.

Then we could get Simon Cowell to organise a public vote for people to decide which celebs we can sacrifice to the Great God Eyjafjallajokull.

blinks Sun 18-Apr-10 17:09:13

i hereby sacrifice amanda holden.

MintHumbug Sun 18-Apr-10 17:13:42

"now they can declare it an act of god and not pay out."

erm - even if they knew 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years in advance its still an act of God or am I missing an even larger conspiracy theory here? hmm

They should drop Chuck Norris into the volcano. He would eat the lava instead of salsa and pronounce it 'mildly spicy'.

If you think this idea won't work then you are not aware of the facts about Chuck Norris. www.chucknorrisfacts.com

OrmRenewed Sun 18-Apr-10 17:21:44

Aha! I knew someone would want to blame someone grin

OrmRenewed Sun 18-Apr-10 17:24:45

I blame mum actually. Her elderly sister flew out to Spain at Easter to spend time with her son and is stuck there now. I reckon mum just fancied someone else looking after her for a while. She probably 'seeded' the volcano with dad's home-made gooseberry jam.

Oh yes....I can see it all.

grin

prettybird Sun 18-Apr-10 17:28:09

If you want to talk conspiracy theories, eruptions at Eyjafjallajökull have always (well, at least its last two eruptions) been followed by an eruption of Katla (which is 5 times larger) within a year.

And what is more, Katla usually erupts every 50 years - and the last time was in 1918. hmm

itsmeitsmeolord Sun 18-Apr-10 17:29:41

grin yes,tis all a mahoosive conspiracy dreamt up to take the heat off Gordon Dead in the Water Brown just before the election.

GentleOtter Sun 18-Apr-10 17:39:03

It is not an Act of God. It is an Act of Loki. <Jedi knight emoticon>

It is not a volcanic eruption but millions of expense sheets being hastily destroyed.

thumbwitch Sun 18-Apr-10 17:44:26

ha - amateurs. Can you not see that this is part of Iceland's cunning plan for world domination? First off they persuade people to invest large sums of money in their banks, which then fail spectacularly, causing global financial disruption - then their volcano erupts and causes global disruption in air travel, putting further pressure on global economy - it's OBVIOUS.

In fact, the ash is probably because they were using the volcano as a giant incinerator for all the foreign money...

All this is laying the path for Bjork to be World President.

grin

5inthebed Sun 18-Apr-10 18:01:21

MadameDeathstare I love Chuck Norris facts. Chuck Norris sleeps with the light on. Not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris.

I wonder how many people will be phoning in sick in the next week because of ash inhilation?

TheCrackFox Sun 18-Apr-10 18:08:53

I am tempted to blame the Pope as it has certainly taken his troubles off the front page.

JackBauer Sun 18-Apr-10 18:12:39

Bjork as world president is scary thought.

Although I feel the need to point out that in a fight between Jack Bauer, Superman and Chuck Norris, who will be the loser? Norris! Because Superman can fly away faster than a speeding bullet.

sarah293 Sun 18-Apr-10 18:31:14

Message withdrawn

skihorse Sun 18-Apr-10 18:48:00

lol @ prettybird - and if Katla goes up the last thing anyone will be worrying about is 2 weeks in Magaluf! grin

I'm afraid I'm going to come across as a right insensitive bint again hmm, but I am reading around on interweb absolutely fucking astounded at how bloody useless some people are at finding an alternative plan. E.g., no names/sites mentioned but I've seen someone wailing that their partner has been sleeping at an airport less than 500 miles from calais for 4 days. Wtf? Somebody should do something. I was thinking of maybe inventing a massive repository of information available to all. I'd call it the world wide superhighway or something like that.

prettybird Sun 18-Apr-10 18:51:39

At least the reporters and politicians will be able to pronounce Katla! grin

JackBauer Sun 18-Apr-10 18:59:50

ski, but from what I hear there are no hire cars, no coaches, no space on trains. 500 miles is a leetle too far to walk, no?
And if you are in an airport you might not have a laptop and all the 'free' pc's will be used by everyone else. Is impossible to find or do anything.

thumbwitch Sun 18-Apr-10 19:05:02

Is GB going to the Polish State Funeral? Or has he wimped out because of the air travel situation? Cos he could have got there by boat and train/car/taxi/cavalcade.

skihorse Sun 18-Apr-10 19:06:54

Jack Well if the person in question had put their brain in to gear on Thursday they could've caught a train/bus and been on a ferry. I believe the internet holds quite a lot of information. Trouble is, too many eejits only think Dover-Calais and TGV. If only these stupid foreigners ran public transport systems. <rolls eyes>

If the person in the airport can whine at their partner for hours at a time and the partner in question can access the internet to post their woes, you'd have thought a brain cell between them would've popped up with the idea of using fucking google. hmm It wouldn't have taken a bloody rocket scientist to look at the webcam of the volcano and realise it wasn't dissipating any time fast. It wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to catch a train to Brussels, OK, maybe not the TGV/fast trains but c'mon...

I'm not ranting at you grin - just genuinely stunned by the inability of so many to actually get a bloody grip and deal with this stuff. I could understand tbh if someone said they were 1000 miles south of Santiago, but when you're that close to the UK? It's baffling.

fluffles Sun 18-Apr-10 19:11:43

can you even IMAGINE if the geologists had predicted the eruption and started saying three months ago that people shouldn't buy plane tickets grin

it would be like the start of EVERY disaster movie ever when the 'powers that be' refuse to listen to the handsome, earnest scientist expert person - and yet the situation would be no different at all grin

MmeLindt Sun 18-Apr-10 19:12:07

The no trains, boats, cars available is a bit weird though, Jack.

DH managed to hire a car yesterday to get to Munich (or his company did) and I spoke to a woman today who booked a TGV ticket to Paris from Geneva today, travelling tomorrow.

Which site, Skihorse? G'wan. You can tell me, I won't tell anyone else.

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 19:16:15

Oh, I do like a nice dust cloud.

Ponders Sun 18-Apr-10 19:16:38

Plenty of people are managing to get to Calais I believe, but then the ferries already have max foot passengers so they have to hire a car (if available) to get on that way. Or ditto bike.

This is a busy weekend for the Channel anyway, being at the end of the Easter holidays. There would normally be more capacity once we get past tomorrow.

Ponders Sun 18-Apr-10 19:17:08

DESI!!!!!!

Where you bin????

sarah293 Sun 18-Apr-10 19:20:58

Message withdrawn

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 19:21:06

Ponders, I got bored.

But now I'm bored of being bored, and having scrolled through the gamut of MN threads, I decided that a volcanic ash conspiracy theory was my kind of thread wink

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 19:24:19

Riven! I haven't been on MN for over a year, so I don't know what's been going on .. but I sincerely hope that all is well at your end?

frasersmummy Sun 18-Apr-10 19:28:55

I think all those being told its an act of god should get together and write a huge document about the earth's plates, fault lines etc therefore proving the volcano was caused by a force of nature and not an act of god. And then tell the insurance co's to get their cheque book out

keerrrist

Desi

good lord

how the devil are you ??

Ponders Sun 18-Apr-10 19:36:33

they covered this on Moneybox on R4 yesterday:

podcast

European airlines are responsible for flight costs (but getting that out of eg Ryanair is another matter)

and some travel insurance companies are cheerfully accepting liability but others (inc John Lewis's - green something? - shock) aren't.

So take notes for next time you buy insurance hmm

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 19:39:14

Hey, Boys!! I'm really good, mate.

It's nice to see some old faces on here smile

MmeLindt Sun 18-Apr-10 19:42:33

Aha!

It all becomes clear to me.

It was a conspiracy to lure Desi back to MN.

RunawayWife Sun 18-Apr-10 19:44:23

Don't Panic

JackBauer Sun 18-Apr-10 19:44:54

<<holds hands up palm out>>

woah now, grinI don't really give a shit having got myself across europe with no net access after my flight was cancelled years ago and I needed to get to work. Was playing devils advocate!
But still, I do know of one person stuck in transit in a stop over country with no visa, so they can't leave their hotel and the airport has their passport, that's gotta suck!

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 19:45:45

Ha ha!

<twirls nipple hair>

Quite so, Lindt grin

blinks Sun 18-Apr-10 20:26:33

<forcibly removes nipple hair for future cloning>

well i don't give a shit. something weird is going on.

the lights in russia and norway. orbs over volcanos.

i'm joining costco to bulk buy tin foil.

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 20:54:57

And there's that fucking great nebula in the penusventura trajectory currently hovering over the gulf of Benin.

D'ya know what, Blinks? I think you might be on to something.

SethStarkaddersMum Sun 18-Apr-10 20:57:00

woohoo! Desiderata is back! (she won't recognise me as I've been namechanging.)

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 20:58:26

You naughty cow!

And don't even think about asking me to guess who you once were.

SethStarkaddersMum Sun 18-Apr-10 21:00:38

have you yet been filled in on everything that has happened since you left? you know all about Riven and David Cameron I take it?

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 21:02:26

No! Is Riven his secret lover?

I still blame Sportacus. All those vegetables are bound to lead to eruptions grin

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 18-Apr-10 21:06:16

Desi!!! Long time no see!!

SethStarkaddersMum Sun 18-Apr-10 21:06:40

ask her Desi.

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 21:09:49

Puss !!! We should meet up soon. My boy's in school now, so I've got a bit more time.

Seth, I know that she spoke to Cameron on a live MN thread a few years back, and that he promised to visit her.

I don't know the outcome of that.

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 18-Apr-10 21:13:07

Desi - he did visit her - the other week grin ...she's practically royalty now our Riv!

My boy starts in Sept <wibble>

Desiderata Sun 18-Apr-10 21:15:15

Don't wibble, Puss. It's a fantastic new phase, and you'll love every minute of it.

Honest smile

sarah293 Mon 19-Apr-10 07:31:02

Message withdrawn

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 19-Apr-10 09:15:00

Lol Riven!

It has been manic here..off to Syria end of the month, Insha'Allah but am having kittens at volcanic ash...I want at least a week of clear flights before I go but my mother is freaking out and its rubbing off on me!

playground is finished. smile Weird how this thread started about volcanos and has gotten to playgrounds hmm

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 19-Apr-10 09:22:35

Ilove - yes I went there last week! T'was packed but DS loved it and the chocolate cake bars in the cafe are yummy...coffee blardy vile though but hey, can't have everything grin

amidaiwish Mon 19-Apr-10 18:14:44

is there a list of insurance companies who are/are not paying out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now