'Career women make bad mothers' ad to run on side of buses

(1056 Posts)
mrsbaldwin Mon 04-Jan-10 15:48:03

Brand Republic the advertising industry trade mag and the Independent media section are reporting that the Outdoor Advertising Association are to run ads featuring the slogan 'Career Women Make Bad Mothers' on the side of buses and elsewhere. This is to promote the power of outdoor advertising - gets people talking innit. Here is the link - bit.ly/4VQ1Z8 - to the Inde item, which itself links through to the Brand Republic item. No doubt the person who thought this catchy campaign up (an 80s adman, one Garry Lace) will even as I type be wetting his pants in glee that someone has posted about it on Mumsnet. But does he really think the mass of the population will suddenly be moved to ruminate on the utility of outdoors advertising when they see the ad ... or will they just think 'ha! career women are bad mothers, I always thought so - it says so on that bus!'. Click here to find out more about Garry Lace and his firm www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/09/garry-lace-campbell-beta I must say I'm tempted to take a few dirty nappies down to Garry's offices which are at 36-38 Carnaby Street www.betalondon.com (0) 207 734 2949 Nappies - symbolic, as in ... Garry, your ads are a load of s*

MrsChemist Mon 04-Jan-10 20:56:40

We may be proving his point in a way, but I think general consensus is that anything controversial put out in the meeja is going to get attention, so it's not the fact that the ad is outside, it's the fact that it's upsetting people. So unless all their subsequent clients intend to alienate and offend customers with their advertising then they simply aren't going to see the same sort of numbers of people reacting to their adverts.

This sort of controversy works for admen advertising advertising space, but it won't work for advertisers advertising to customers IYKWIM.

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 20:56:45

Response from Boris, below. No response from the ASA yet

Subject: Sexist advertising campaigns on London Buses

The Mayor would like to thank you for your interest in his work and he is keen to answer your query as quickly and fully as possible. As you will appreciate, he receives very large amount of correspondence but he is committed to responding to your query within 20 working days.

However, the Greater London Authority (GLA) will only respond to queries that relate to its work and will refer relevant queries to the appropriate functional body for them to reply e.g. transport related queries will be referred to Transport for London (TfL).

Please note that the GLA does not accept unsolicited job applications or C.V's. Information on current vacancies is available on our website at: http://www.london.gov.uk/jobs.jsp

Thank you for taking the time to write to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.

Yours truly

Public Liaison Unit

foxinsocks Mon 04-Jan-10 20:56:52

lol wahwah

we might need to wrap that round the bus on both levels

morningpaper Mon 04-Jan-10 20:56:58
morningpaper Mon 04-Jan-10 20:57:59
WineBeforePearls Mon 04-Jan-10 21:00:41

I wonder whether we could start a fundraising thread to pay for one bus with 'Gary Lace, for example, is a ...' on the side.

<muses>

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:01:38

'Gary Lace has a small one'

wahwah Mon 04-Jan-10 21:01:49

Agree with Mrs chemist-perhaps we should find out their clients and email them.

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:03:41

What we need is a facebook campaign

'Gary Lace, for example ...'

Will someone techno literate start one?

SydneyScarborough Mon 04-Jan-10 21:05:03

I'm for financing a rival campaign, but torn between slogans like the suggested "Gary Lace, for example.." or something more positive on the lines of "Mumsnet makes women good mothers" or summat.

I am totally up for emailing his clients. Anyone fancy writing a form letter / email?

Northernlebkuchen Mon 04-Jan-10 21:05:42

but foxinsocks - people would also talk about 'Beat up somebody who annoys you today' or 'Gay people should be <<insert nasty thing - I can't bring myself to>>' or anything about the holocaust....but they don't use that do they? No - because it's offensive. So why does that arguement that they want people to talk about it make it ok to attack women - because that's what this shit is. It's an attack and it makes me sick. Why isn't everybody offended by it - admen included? There's still a fucking long way to go sad

sushistar Mon 04-Jan-10 21:05:56

What a nasty advert. I am a sahm, it's what I believe is right for my kids, but to say ANY group are 'bad mothers' is a ridiculous generalisation. I'm sure some career women are bad mothers- as are some people with blonde hair, or some people who like Marmite.

Equally ridiculous are some of the comments on this thread that 'all admen are...'. Some of them are very nice and ethical I'm sure!

SydneyScarborough Mon 04-Jan-10 21:08:10

Target adwomen? Is that even a title? I wonder why not...hmm

Surely there is a Women in Advertising type organisation who should be targeted?

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:08:27

The thing about financing a rival campaign

Is that it costs money. Around £1.2m if figures are to be believed

The internet is the solution, I tell ya

SydneyScarborough Mon 04-Jan-10 21:12:04
Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:12:08

What would really spell the death of the outdoor advertising campaign, eh?

An internet advertising campaign mobilising all the anti-chauvinists ...

It worked against Simon Cowell (and he is relatively attractive, which I'm betting Gary Twatface isn't)

SameAsYou Mon 04-Jan-10 21:14:08

I saw the billboards too its shocking

Dare him to do a webchat on here then you can eat him alive!

dittany Mon 04-Jan-10 21:14:56

The client is Alan James of the Outdoor Advertising Association:

"The two-week ‘Britain Thinks’ initiativ, led by the Outdoor Advertising Association, will include ads that read; ‘Career women make bad mothers’ and ‘1966- It won’t happen this year’ in reference to this year’s World Cup, in a bid to prove the impact of outdoor advertising.

The campaign hopes to demonstrate the power of outdoor advertising as a direct response medium with the ability to drive people online, according to Alan James, the chief executive of the OAA.

It aims to show an alternative to digital advertising and is based on research by Google that reveals offline activity is essential to driving people online.

The ads, created by Garry Lace and Robert Campbell’s agency Beta, also encourage individuals to join the discussion on dedicated microsite Britainthinks.com.

The campaign has been backed by leading outdoor media owners JCDecaux, CBS Outdoor, Clear Channel, Titan and Primesight."

SydneyScarborough Mon 04-Jan-10 21:15:32
Katz Mon 04-Jan-10 21:16:19

As others have said this statement with pretty much any other word before the 'make bad mothers' would have been banned so why was this statement acceptable?

foxinsocks Mon 04-Jan-10 21:16:28

well that's his point though surely northern - anything offensive will get people talking on line. There were the gay slurs by dear old daily mail mad woman recently.

He's got a bit of a dodgy past Lace. Always leaving companies under a bit of a cloud.

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:18:50

Linky not working - try this man with small penis

TheOldestCat Mon 04-Jan-10 21:20:42

What about 'Admen lie for a living'?

Harriedandflustered Mon 04-Jan-10 21:22:34

I really don't want to diss admen

after all Salman Rushdie coined 'Naughty But Nice'/ And didn't DL Sayers have a career in advertising?

Can't we just get specific about these admen?

SydneyScarborough Mon 04-Jan-10 21:24:25

there has to be some mileage in pointing out that he's no Don Draper, and that times have moved on..Sadmen, not Madmen...

<clutches at straws and searches for rhyming dictionary>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now