How long before the first "Google Street View" divorce?!?!!

(95 Posts)
morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 13:49:34

Google now has street view

This is amazing! So much detail - wow!

They are supposed to have blocked out number plates but you can read around 1 in 3 very clearly on my mother-in-law's street. I'm sure it won't be long before someone finds the wrong car outside the wrong house....!

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 13:55:59

You can see in peoples windows shock

I cannot believe this has been done, I am so far beyond shocked, who very dare they walk down my street snapping picks angry

I know I cannot do anything, but i think I may well stop opening my curtains from now on angry

morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 13:56:24

It's WEIRD isn't it?

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 13:59:04

YES it is MP [still shocked emoticon]

dragonbutter Thu 19-Mar-09 14:02:27

they don't walk kingcanute. it's a car with a tall futuristic looking thing stuck on top.
very modern wink

Housemum Thu 19-Mar-09 14:07:13

I'm torn between feeling that it's an infringement of privacy, and the Hilda-Ogden curtain-twitching side of me that wishes her town was on there to be nosey...

JackBauer Thu 19-Mar-09 14:08:48

Nice. You can see right into my kitchen and sitting room as the camera is higher than eye level so looks over the curtain. Twats.

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 14:08:59

Will I am very very unhappy about the infringment of my privacy - but I have just noticed that you can see the laundry hung in exs window - it looks ver ver chav. Every cloud and all that grin

EachPeachPearMum Thu 19-Mar-09 14:11:11

shock JackBauer I would be very unhappy about that.
I am cross enough about being on it myself, albeit blurred out.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 19-Mar-09 14:12:24

Can you contact them and ask to have it blurred? I'm sure they did this in some cases when the US one was released.

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 14:13:40

I am torn between it being what anyone could see (mostly) if they walked down our street and the feeling that anyone in the whole world can see this without even taking the effort to walk down my street. Sorry but it creeps me out!

Own up, how many are going to check out the perfect PTA mums house for a good nosey - imagine how something like that could be abused or misused... It just feels wrong to me!

What towns is it available for? Every one I look at it says "streetview unavailable"

dragonbutter Thu 19-Mar-09 14:15:33

i told my MIL that she was on google earth in her garden and asked her when she became a naturist.

tee hee.

JackBauer Thu 19-Mar-09 14:16:58

Although it's quite good fun nosing round.
I am just searching a junction near my house though as they cut me up when they were trawling round and I may have made a rude sign at them....

CrackerNut Thu 19-Mar-09 14:18:09

It apparently coves Birmingham, but every street I have looked at says there is no pic available.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 19-Mar-09 14:19:27

Nutty- I'm in B ham, though South.

SoupDragon Thu 19-Mar-09 14:21:57

How bizzare - they only got 1/3 of the way up my short side road.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 19-Mar-09 14:22:27

Meant to say, weirdly, because of the time lapse, my car is at a junction, and then parked as well!

SoupDragon Thu 19-Mar-09 14:25:09

I'm pleased to see that they visited DSs school in the summer holidays.

bronze Thu 19-Mar-09 14:26:36

I can't get on. Could someone please post me a direct link.
I just want to see what its like I don't think its a good idea if they can see into people houses

WilfSell Thu 19-Mar-09 14:29:36

oh my god. I've just looked at my dad's house and my friend's.

And there was a window cleaner on one house nearby. Wonder if he's still there. grin

Quite glad my street will NEVER be on it...

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 14:35:24
MmeLindt Thu 19-Mar-09 14:35:49

OOh, DD and I have just had a nosy at Granny's house.

She was most disappointed that Granny was not in the garden.

I can understand anyone being annoyed, it is very detailed.

MmeLindt Thu 19-Mar-09 14:36:41

It covers a fair bit of Dundee.

Not that I have been nosying around or anything.

Stretch Thu 19-Mar-09 14:39:17

I can see loads of numberplates!

Stretch Thu 19-Mar-09 14:39:48

Leicester is noy one of the places!

<<phew!>>

bronze Thu 19-Mar-09 14:41:44

thanks KC

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 14:41:48

There are 4 gas men I can see out in our town along with numerous pedestrians, none of whom are blurred out at all, you can zoom right in their faces <scowl>

KingCanuteIAm Thu 19-Mar-09 14:42:19

So what do you think bronze?

bronze Thu 19-Mar-09 14:46:13

Well it'll never cover here so it's not a worry for me. In a way its kind of cool and would be useful to get yor bearings if you're going to be going to a new place and are nervous but I can't imagine I would be happy if it could see in my windows. I think theres going to be uproar.

JackBauer Thu 19-Mar-09 14:54:06

You can't see much, but if the DD's curtains or my bedroom curtains were open you would be able to see straight into our bedrooms.
As it is you can see shadows but I know what they are.

Luckily I am not on there making obscene gesturesgrin

JackBauer Thu 19-Mar-09 14:58:52

Am rather surprised that they drove down teh pedestrianised high streethmm

There don't appear to be images of any of the sctreets around my DD's school, which is good.

Portofino Thu 19-Mar-09 15:06:00

How bizarre is that! My nan's garden looks nice!

LouIsAHappyLittleVegemite Thu 19-Mar-09 15:11:25

This was released in Australia a fiar while ago and there were so many complaints as they had captured people being arrested, pulled over by police, fights etc...All that is wrong with my house was that my housemate hadn't taken the bins in.
It is so interesting to look at places you used to live etc

Hassled Thu 19-Mar-09 15:55:56

Ha! You can see the Mad Old Witch next door coming out of her house to check for signs of people having fun

ABetaDad Thu 19-Mar-09 16:06:22

Where can I get this service... obviously I only want to look at my own house? hmm

roomforthree Thu 19-Mar-09 16:08:55

FFS - you can see into my lounge & kitchen. There are street views front & back, so if the curtains weren't closed, there would be views into all our bedrooms too! Not only do I now have to contend with the workforce of a large government agency staring into my house when they are going home, but the whole internet-world can rubberneck if they choose. Bloody ridiculous.

ChippyMinton Thu 19-Mar-09 16:11:14

OMG my PIL are walking down our street shock

Ooohh this is funny, it covers my city but not my area, am looking at my dad sat on front step doing something to my parents front door though. I just rang him and told him, he thinks it's cool, and asked if he's famous now grin

ChippyMinton Thu 19-Mar-09 16:24:26

And my car is outside my sister's house about 12 miles away. Must've been a Sunday.

I read something in the paper that one shot was taken that showed a drunken man in a heap outside his house. Clear view of him slumped in the gutter which loads of people saw before it was removed.

MerlinsBeard Thu 19-Mar-09 16:34:30

i can't get it to work ..

theDreadPiratePerArdua Thu 19-Mar-09 16:40:00

Wow. Have just had to take a virtual walk down usual streets to make sure it hasn't caught me having a fag doing something I shouldn't...

MerlinsBeard Thu 19-Mar-09 16:42:10

This is really bizarre. I SAW the google car on streets nearby, why can i not use street view?!

I've also seen the car months ago in our town but no street view available. sad

Hassled Thu 19-Mar-09 17:19:07

Judging from the flowers in our garden, they shot our city early last Summer. So if it was only a few months ago, presumably it's still a work in progress.

I think it must take a while to get them on, the views I've looked at were all obv taken during summer time, so well over 6 months ago. They might be putting more up bit by bit

morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 18:39:42

If you were having an affair you would be SHITTING yourself, wouldn't you?!!!!

Love the drunken australian!!!!

Ledodgy Thu 19-Mar-09 18:49:42

I don't understand how you get it I clic k on the orange man drag him then he pings back to where he was does that mean im not covered by streetview?

Wallace Thu 19-Mar-09 18:57:40

the oads with stret view have blue outlines. If there was nowhere round you with street view the orange man is not even orange

LadyMuck Thu 19-Mar-09 19:00:02

But it isn't as if it is realtime is it? You could already see the tops of cars in Google Earth.
Was a bit spooky to be able to go down my road though.

TheCrackFox Thu 19-Mar-09 19:01:14

Bloody hell, you can see into my living room. shock

morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 19:22:40

It's AMAZING isn't it

It's a great social record - I mean, imagine if you could zoon around streets like this photographed 100 years ago! It would be fascianting.

I think it's great

serenity Thu 19-Mar-09 19:25:43

They've got the DCs school on sports day - I can identify people, but only because I know them, and I've spotted my very embarrassingly bird shit covered car parked outside.

Once again I am eternally grateful that I'm paranoid about my privacy and have the impenetrable net curtains of doom. Can't see anything through our windows smile

bluebump Thu 19-Mar-09 19:30:36

No streetview where I live yet.

angrypixie Thu 19-Mar-09 19:43:31

I have had a bloody great skip outside my house, classy!

morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 19:46:24

I might start looking up potential client's houses before I decide how much to charge them... wink

Ledodgy Thu 19-Mar-09 19:50:48

Some of Liverpool is on it but not all I need to clean my doorstep before the cameras come!

Metella Thu 19-Mar-09 19:51:41

They've missed out my tiny bit of road - I can see the houses a couple of doors away either side but not my house!!! Strange.

Ledodgy Thu 19-Mar-09 19:52:08

In fact since they haven't arrived yet I wonder if I put a huge poster advertising MN in my window MNHQ would pay me? grin

CherryChoc Thu 19-Mar-09 20:19:07

So far they have put up: London, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bradford, Cambridge, Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Sheffield, Nottingham, Derby, Bristol, Coventry, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Swansea, York, Newcastle, Dundee, Southampton, Norwich and Scunthorpe.

Not all places in all the cities have been covered yet though, mainly just the city centres.

MmeLindt Thu 19-Mar-09 21:31:32

The drunk Australian man is a bit of a sad story though, he had been out drowning his sorrows after the death of a friend.

I think that Dundee must have been taken last summer, as I remember the Audi ad on the way to my brother's house. I was in Dundee last July.

tiredsville Thu 19-Mar-09 22:51:11

Gated community where I live, ha the bastards can't get in

tiredsville Thu 19-Mar-09 22:51:46

No I don't live in Holloway prison by the way grin

tis making me nostalgic for when i used to live in london.
current location not accessible,

<<sticks tongue out>>

wannaBe Thu 19-Mar-09 23:27:40

it's all a bit big-brother though isn't it? Even google earth to an extent, thinking that we're being watched at any given moment...

Agree that being able to look at all this a hundred years from now would be fascinating, but I think that because it's the here and now makes it quite creepy iyswim.

LouIsAHappyLittleVegemite Fri 20-Mar-09 10:58:53

I've just looked at where I live now and certain photos are blacked out. Any idea why? No spies here that I know of.

beanieb Fri 20-Mar-09 10:59:52

I heard that the people taking the photos got very arsey if people came out of their houses and tried to video or photograph them!

ChippyMinton Fri 20-Mar-09 12:38:03

Lou - tha blackouts are where people have requested changes eg number plates to be blurred. My sis had to do this and now she's worried her neighbours will think she has something to hide grin. I expect the pics will come back eventually.

LouIsAHappyLittleVegemite Fri 20-Mar-09 13:14:51

ohh ok I was getting all excited there for a minute, don't know why, nothing happens on my street. Thanks!

beanieb Fri 20-Mar-09 16:19:04

I have found my house, my car and my numberplate!

How odd - the house they reckon is my MIL's clearly isn't hmm. Right number, right street, right town - wrong house and the surrounding houses aren't here neighbours' either. Looks like they've got their house numbers wrong.

Let's hope courier companies don't start using this!

wobbegong Fri 20-Mar-09 20:34:14

Fuck me, I can see my husband walking into our house with a rucksack on his back. He is turning around to the camera presumably wondering what the van is with a big camera mounted on top!

Thank god I am not having an affair or it would be clear for the world to see.

For some reason I am outraged that someone has taken a picture of my husband and my flat and my window boxes and my dustbins and posted them on the internet. Can I ask them to block it out or do I need a "good reason"? other than, I don't like it, it feels weird, you never asked me.

worley Fri 20-Mar-09 21:13:18

is this not the same as microsoft virtual earth ??

worley Fri 20-Mar-09 21:18:13

some the pictures are quite out of date, they have my sils house as waste ground in USA even though her house was built a few years ago, it is the right area as can see all other roads correctly,

Rosieglow Fri 20-Mar-09 21:25:11

The google car came round our road about 6 months back when we were all (me, DH, DS & DD) out on the drive. Of course we all stared gormlessly at the weird car with camera on top....can't wait to see that picture on streetview now.

Actually, will be pretty P-off if they show us (& especially the kids) not blurred.

It's not showing up yet so will have to keep checking.

Has anyone asked their picture to be taken down? DO you have to have a reason?

LEMAGAIN Fri 20-Mar-09 22:10:16

its a bit much really - i have a friend on the internet, i managed to look into his garage!!!! describe his house to him - oh yeah!! he looooved that hmm. We dont have it around here (thank god - fecking state of my house - note to self: do the front garden!). Looked in my MILS front window.

I no like it

nooka Sat 21-Mar-09 04:29:38

I think it's fab. the pictures are mostly from a long time ago (our street was done with my To Let sign up so last March-May). Faces should be blurred out, but the software they use isn't perfect. Anyone can ask for their face to be blurred and number plates too. It wouldn't be much good for finding out if someone had an affair - a couple of images from at least six months ago is highly unlikely to cause that many problems. It's been running in the States now for a while - great for finding your way to places I find because you can spot the visual landmarks in advance.

SamJamsmum Sat 21-Mar-09 06:20:08

My son and I are standing outside our house but luckily a tree is hiding our top halves. The van taking pics must have been quite tall.
The BBC report some of the pics asked to be hidden immediately were a bloke entering a sex shop and someone being sick.

DebInAustria Sat 21-Mar-09 06:42:29

We found mil putting her bins out, you can see her very clearly but her face is blurred.

Idrankthechristmasspirits Sat 21-Mar-09 10:30:56

this is wrong on so many levels in my opinion.
For example my dd's father has a court order stating that he is not allowed to know dd's or indeed my address and is not allowed any contact. In reality we think he is probably dead (long complicated story) but at the time of the case we had many mutual friends/acquaintances.
All he would have needed is a town name......

There are many others in the same position as me.

And aside from the safety issues for individuals, i don't want to be part of the big brother movement. What happened to my right to choose where and how images of me and my famiy are used?

I feel the whole thing smacks of arrogance and complete inconsideration tbh.

edam Sat 21-Mar-09 20:45:07

Good point. Could be very dangerous for some people.

It's a huge invasion of privacy. And why the hell should people have to waste their time on Google's website in order to protect reclaim the privacy that should be theirs in the first place? Just a way of generating traffic.

I work in publishing - we have to get consent forms from every case study and model. Can't see why Google can publish this without seeking permission. Blurring faces is not enough, anyone who knows you will be able to recognise you.

If you live in one of the cities covered, hope you weren't pulling a sickie yet out of doors on the day Google came past...

nigirl Sat 21-Mar-09 20:51:36

Totally irresponsible. Over here in Northern Ireland they are kicking off, understandably given the recent situation, of how much detail of police stations, barracks etc google are showing and the number plates that are recorded going into and out of those places.

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 21-Mar-09 21:12:59

Nigirl, not just police stations - imagine the thousands of people whose personal security can be compromised by this - if someone was planning an attack they don't even need to leave their home to target an address.

angry

Very arrogant. Huge invasion of privacy. I don't think you should be allowed to publish images of someone's private property without their consent.

winnithepoor Sat 21-Mar-09 21:20:27

My adobe flash player needs an update so I don't do a link right now but I was nosing at expensive streets in London earlier. Apart from noticing how many poncy white stucco houses had "For Sale" signs up, there was real actual bunting up on the railings in Holland Park grin

noonki Sat 21-Mar-09 21:26:47

I work with people fleeing domestic and other types of violence. I find it very worrying.

I just looked around my neighbourhood and recognised to 'blurred' people. Would take much to recognise your ex partner and kids.

GypsyMoth Sat 21-Mar-09 21:30:54

Noonki. I just viewed the refuge I stayed in when fleeing dv!! Zoomed right in too. But strangely enough, I can't view any of the police stations I've worked in!

noonki Sat 21-Mar-09 22:28:45

Ilovetiffany that's just the sort of thing I am I dreading [Sad]- would you be happy to contact google or the refugee and ask them to remove the house?

I will ring all the places I know around here and ask them to do the same. And even though it was taken six months ago it can take far longer than that to be rehoused.

edam Sat 21-Mar-09 23:00:16

Isn't there a danger in explaining to google why you want the building de-listed though? Because then people at Google know where all the Refuges are... Damn blasted Google and their stupidity.

nigirl Sun 22-Mar-09 00:54:47

Theyearofthecat I totally agree. We were one of those pepole whose security was compromised. I dread to think how easy it is to track someone now.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 22-Mar-09 21:36:45

OMG shock...I'm just looking at my house and apparently my friend was visiting that day as her car is in my drive. They must have been taken a while ago though as I changed my car nearly a year ago.

I had no idea this was even on the cards <luddite> let alone live.

pecanpie Mon 23-Mar-09 11:47:21

I am on there - hee! My face is blurred but dd's isn't really. The pic was definitely taken last summer. Not bothered about me being on it, but really don't like that my house is there.

Squirdle Fri 27-Mar-09 19:01:11

Wow, I can see my old house in London! How wierd!

Can't get my house here though, but tis obscured by a big hedge so I will be safe when they do come round!

I can understand people getting upset by it, we can't do anything now!

<Squirdle peeks out of the windows to see who is watching>

Squirdle Fri 27-Mar-09 19:08:36

And you can look right at my friends house in Southampton, she won't be pleased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now