So who will join me in promising to boycott all israeli products from today?

(240 Posts)
seeker Sat 17-Jan-09 08:11:50

Seeker.

compo Sat 17-Jan-09 08:13:21

can I be the first to be dim and ask what are Israeli products?

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Sat 17-Jan-09 08:23:15

I can only think of oranges, sorry for being incredibly dim.

Piffle Sat 17-Jan-09 08:25:12

Avocado
Nuts dried fruits some exotic fruits
I've been avoiding for decades
Check carefully on labels

ssd Sat 17-Jan-09 08:25:52

and oranges are crap just now anywayblush

what do you recommend seeker?

spicemonster Sat 17-Jan-09 08:30:04

Dead sea salt stuff

M&S

seeker Sat 17-Jan-09 08:31:13

There is an extraordinarly long and detailed list here

I'll try to find an easier to handle version.

Important to read the small print on all fruit and vegetables in particular.

FAQtothefuture Sat 17-Jan-09 08:31:58

I'm afraid I won't be.

I did (at a young age) help my parents check that they weren't buying SA products (during the latter years of Apartheid). However that wasn't just a government that was being targetted, it did directly affect the people who were reponsible for helping apartheid live as long as it did. Those that were producing the products were benefitting at the expense of the people they were oppressing.

I'm not fully convinced that the majority of the Israeli people are behind the government in the same way as in Apartheid, and as such I don't believe that boycotting their goods is truly going to impact the people that we want it to impact. Yes it would impact on the governments exports, but the real people affected are those who produce the goods in the first place, and employer the workers.

Havind said that I don't buy any of the products listed anyhow.

seeker Sat 17-Jan-09 08:44:46

I will

sarah293 Sat 17-Jan-09 09:24:49

I already am but like FAQ am unsure as to whether ot works or not. But I suppose it might send a message cos right now they are ignoring UN orders and going completely OTT.
Course, finding bloody non-israeli advocados is not easy. dd requires 2 a day for her high fat low carb diet.

seeker Sat 17-Jan-09 20:57:57

I am so disappointed to come back to this thread to find 2 more posts. Hopeful bump - assuming people missed it first time round.

Piffle Sat 17-Jan-09 21:05:44

WItrose today
Sage and thyme fresh herbs

winterblues Sat 17-Jan-09 21:12:46

I certainly will not and and wish this forum was not being used for dubious political means. As we have free speech I can't stop you but I do wish some of you were better informed and less prone to sweeping generalisations. I shall not be checking back as I have no desire to bump this post any further.

orangina Sat 17-Jan-09 21:13:10

I have been boycotting since I was 18... yes, keep an eye out for citrus fruits, sweet potatos, avocados, and fresh herbs. Nearly always from Israel. I have palestinian friends who won't buy from m&s or go to starbucks as well.....

Bubble99 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:14:29

spicemonster. Why are you boycotting M&S?

AFAIK it is a British Company founded in Leeds. What connection does it have to Israel, other than selling some Israeli goods?

twinsetandpearls Sat 17-Jan-09 21:14:53

My computer is freezing when I clink on links can someone explain the M and S thing for me.

iheartdusty Sat 17-Jan-09 21:21:38

I have been trying to avoid Israeli products for some time, but TBH the only ones I would be tempted to buy are the fresh herbs. I had a look at the long list on that website, but the specific products are ones I never come across anyway, and some of the other connections are rather tenuous - boycott Estee Lauder because the chairman is a Zionist? I deplore Zionism, but the connection is just too remote, I feel.

Someone told me that Tescos directly finances Israeli state activities, because it still belongs to Shirley Porter's family who give enormous contributions to the israeli govt. Anyone got info on this?

Bubble99 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:23:05

Why would Shirley Porter's family give contributions to Israel?

twinsetandpearls Sat 17-Jan-09 21:23:22

I have managed to open the long list, dp said he would cut back on his ecstasy intake.

Bubble99 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:24:26

grin TS&P

Better ease up on the Calpol, too.

mysterymoniker Sat 17-Jan-09 21:24:31

M&S and Tesco are both famously Jewish companies

(I'm not joining the boycott by the way)

Bubble99 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:27:08

Why would boycotting Jewish companies be appropriate for an anti-Israel boycott?

(Not to you, mysterymoniker. A general question.)

twinsetandpearls Sat 17-Jan-09 21:27:20

I know that M and S is a Jewish company but are people boycotting them because they are Jewish? Surely this is not right. Has it been proven that there money is funding the Israeli attacks.

I am willing to say I do not know enough about this which is why I am not boycotting or on any protests.

Eniddo Sat 17-Jan-09 21:28:15

"Dead sea salt stuff

M&S "

LOLOLOLOLOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now