Russell Brand, Jonathan Woss and Andrew Sachs

(1003 Posts)
JoolsToo Mon 27-Oct-08 15:26:53

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3263328/Russell-Brand-and-Jonathan-Ross-joke-radio -phone-calls-just-werent-funny.html

Have we not had a discussion about this? I'm surprised.

Seedy, sordid, unfunny little men pad obscene amounts of money to be obscene.

What's your view?

needmorecoffee Mon 27-Oct-08 16:08:52

pair of them are talentless overpaid morons.

Nagapie Mon 27-Oct-08 16:12:21

Listening to LBC earlier today, it transpires that the show was pre-recorded - meaning that some BBC d*ck actually signed off this show and approved the transmission of this insulting load of tosh masquerading as humour .... he should be the 1st in the firing line...

mrsmaidamess Mon 27-Oct-08 16:13:12

I've just listened to the whole sorry/unfunny episode online and it is really pathetic. They are amusing each other but no one else. I like Johnathan Ross on his own show, I think he's funny and witty but something about being with Russell Brand here (who I also like ) makes them both sound like right prats. The only one to come out with any dignity is Andrew Sachs.

ahundredtimes Mon 27-Oct-08 16:13:21

Oh I think Ross is talented, he makes it look easy but I think he's talented.

Brand just seems witless to me.

I think the difference is, I don't find teenage boy humour very funny. It's usually cruel and a bit thoughtless. At least Bart Simpson thinks of funny names when he does prank calls.

rolledhedgehog Mon 27-Oct-08 16:13:31

I would have thought that once someone was Jonathan Ross's age and had daughters of they would see that this ceases to be funny enough to outweigh the nastiness. Could he not see as a parent how offensive this would to a grandad in his 70's.

Andrew Sachs comes over as being a dignified and well respected gentleman.

I fail to see how an obscene phone call can be interpreted as entertainment.
Imagine how you would feel if this was directed at your own daughter or grand daughter.

LouMacca Mon 27-Oct-08 16:16:39

agree totally with rolledhedgehog.

expect this pathetic behaviour off Russell Brand but am disappointed with Jonathan Ross as I do like him.

JoolsToo Mon 27-Oct-08 16:20:24

yes, not very good article. I was going to link to the DM one but I know what you all think of the DM so tried to keep your blood pressure down!

Jonathan Ross is often referred to as Wossy - can't see what you're getting your knickers in a twist about amwhatandwhy and I certainly don't see how it could be construed as 'making fun of speech imediments'

but I digress - I'm very heartened that the majority consensus is that it was a crass and nasty thing to do.

PenelopePitstops Mon 27-Oct-08 16:27:09

russell brand is not funny at all, everything he does is 'shocking' and not actually funny

i actually read his book, in my defence it was at my sisters and i was bored, it was ridiculous. It made me dislke him even more.

the phonecall was disgusting, they acted like two school children

ahundredtimes Mon 27-Oct-08 16:27:17

Russell - badly done, though we didn't expect much better from you, go brush your hair and work on your craft, being lippy isn't cutting it any longer.

Jonathan - we are disappointed in you, you have not only let yourself down but the whole school and we expected better and funnier.

[sucks teeth, looks disapproving, smells of cabbage]

Popzie Mon 27-Oct-08 16:49:15

Why is it that when you have standards and a proper sense of humour we all apologise for being old and prudish?

Those two should've grown out of this sort of thing by the time they'd left school. It's not us who are prissy - it's RB and JR who are crass and showing a complete lack of respect for someone who is probably a gentleman.

This is exactly why it's in the news today that society has totally lost its respect for old and young alike. How many bird brained listeners were thinking it was really funny - funnier still because it was JR and RB? As a result there'll be thousands of lemmings going to school and work taking the piss out of people about having sex with members of their family.

needmorecoffee Mon 27-Oct-08 17:04:26

with you there popzie. manners and good behaviour should be for everyone.

Popzie Mon 27-Oct-08 17:05:49

Thanks.. thought I'd killed the thread!

ramonaquimby Mon 27-Oct-08 17:13:14

can't stand Jonathan Ross - I've caught his show a few times (often has great guests) and I can see some of the cringing they do when the talk gets dirty and suggestive.

JuxBackFromTheDead Mon 27-Oct-08 17:13:48

They're obviously both having mid-life crises, which, as we all know, results in older men behaving like silly little boys. Give'em another 20 years and they'll be disco dancing at parties.grin

TotalChaos Mon 27-Oct-08 17:17:25

vile foul-mouthed gits.

You are absolutely right, Popzie.

filthymindedSixSixSixen Mon 27-Oct-08 17:34:52

100 - I'm turning into my mother. She used to describe people in the 80s as ''looking like a right clip''. (usually pop stars I was in love with grin

When I was reading your posts below about bRAND, the words ''A right clip'' popped unbidden into my head.. And I'm not 40 yet!

Would it be juvenile of me to call them dickheads?

Turniphead1 Mon 27-Oct-08 17:37:37

In terms of use of the word Wossy making fun of people with speech impediments - well, Mr Ross uses the term Wossy himself all the time. He is actually in RL incredibly kind and generous with his time. Have direct experience of it although don't know him well. But won't have a word said against him grin.

muminthecity Mon 27-Oct-08 17:48:19

I adore Russell Brand and always listen to his show, but this was clearly over the top and unfunny, though I don't think at the time there was any malicious intent. Russell phoned Andrew Sachs for an interview, which had already been arranged, when there was no answer, he started to leave a normal inoffensive message when Johnathan shouted "He fucked your grandaughter!" It then became some sort of ridiculous and childish competition of who could say the most contraversial, outlandish thing. It was obvious that they were both just thinking of their egos and neither had considered that their behaviour would impact negatively on a 70 odd year old man and his family. Very disappointing, but without excusing this awful behaviour, I must say I have met Russell a few times and he is truly lovely, kind and generous and very, very funny.

SunshineSmith Mon 27-Oct-08 18:11:21

I wish someone would call Jonathat Ross and said the same about his daughter! Sure he would be pleased to hear that on his answerphone!

God knows I am very relaxed about swearing, a bit of innuendo etc etc but this is just atrocious!

Tortington Mon 27-Oct-08 18:18:36

i like jonathon ross.

cocoleBOO Mon 27-Oct-08 18:22:08

JR's saturday show on Radio is great. Russell Brand is a bit meh.

southeastalien Mon 27-Oct-08 18:24:09

i like both of them, but it was a stoopid thing to do.

i think they probably bring out the worse in each other

Liffey Mon 27-Oct-08 18:24:21

That is outrageous. How dare he????? I hope both of them are fined and punished.

Jonathan Ross has two dds. i bet it wouldn't seem so funny if it was one of them who RB 'enjoyed' bent over a sofa.

He was forced to rescind the comments he made about Kimberley stewart as they weren't true. Can't believe this is all he's got up his sleeve. trashing people's names. I used to think he was funny. Now I think, one trick pony.

This thread is not accepting new messages.