So, it looks like Boris is going to win.....

(1003 Posts)
JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 10:53:20

Boris Johnson.
How the feck did that happen??

Hoping the BBC are just joshing with us...

limecrush Fri 02-May-08 10:58:29

has he actually won yet?? am scared

WinkyWinkola Fri 02-May-08 10:59:20

Record numbers of people voting in London.

We won't know until this evening.

I'll be gutted if Boris wins. He's a berk. He will be an embarrassment to London.

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 10:59:21

No. There is still hope.
I think it's announced 6pm ish.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 11:01:08

they can't possibly have a clue. So much depends on the 2nd vote and it's impossible to predict the voting for the smaller parties.

Yes, we had a huge turnout here I think too www.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 02-May-08 11:08:49

I wonder how much is pro-Boris, how much is anti-Ken and how much is anti-Brown...

My mum's opinion (from canvassing) is that giving Brown a bit of a kicking is a popular choice.

Does Ken regret coming back into the fold now I wonder?

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 11:09:11

OK. Am thinking positive. They have to make the next 7 hours a bit sexy, don't they?

Oh no
he is such a moron

Threadwworm Fri 02-May-08 11:11:39

Something similar happened up here in the north east.

I am so loving not being a Londoner just now.

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 11:15:01

Gosg. That is a very similar story grin

moondog Fri 02-May-08 11:17:45

I remember that monkey bloke.
How did he get on?

Our nationalist MP (good mate) really likes Boris. Bizarrely he collaborated on some stuff with Plaid Cymru.

I think change is no bad thing and, dare i say it, the utter lack of humous endemic in lefties is begining to grate.

Just don;t like the idea of the UK being run by a little gang of old schoolmates. Not good.

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 11:20:28

At least it has made the election interesting, which is why the turnout seems to be high.
Mrs BGD says she looked at both pamphlets for the candidates and said they both said the same thing. Does not surprise me really given it's pretty obvious what most people want. ie reduced crinme, better transport, cleaner streets etc etc.

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 11:22:02

Funny though how you have a right wing candidate called Boris?grin
I'm waiting for a Left wing candidate called Benito Johnson...

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:25:33

Well I'm all for competition in elections. Unlike last time (remember Steven Norris anyone? No?). Also, though I'm not convinced on Boris (unlike DH who has been feverishly campaigning for him and will be getting VERY drunk if he wins) I could not vote for Ken again. I just thing he's too laissez faire with taxpayers' money and has got complacent. Will be v depressed if we get 4 more years of the same...

of course, in true wussy liberal fashion I voted for Paddick, but he obv has no chance.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 02-May-08 11:30:16

LOL at lefties' "lack of humous"!

I know you take food issues seriously moondog...

moondog Fri 02-May-08 11:31:53

Ay,true enough.
Am also a humourless Leftie meself.
I recognize the species see, and it aint pretty. grin

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:33:16

Moondog: there is the (possibly spurious) argument that no-one really likes Ken (copyright Neil Kinnock) whereas (according to DH) Boris a surprising success on the campaign trail - people who are not keen initially end up getting on with him.

LOL at humous

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 11:36:47

Truth in that, I can see myself having a pint with Boris but not Ken.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 11:36:53

God almighty - the shame of having a mayor like Boris - I would have to pretend I didn't live in London!!!!

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 11:39:14

Results aren't announced until 6.30-ish (later if there has to be re-counts, etc).

I think that people are predicting a Boris win, because of the high turnout in outer London boroughs (traditionally more Tory supporting).

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 11:41:21

As much as I want Boris to win, one good thing about a high turnout is that it makes it harder for the BNP to get an Assembley seat. They only need 5% of the Londonwide vote to get an assembley member (they got 4.7% in 2004).

Clouds, silver-lining, etc....

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:42:01

High turnout is VERY good news. Am actually interested in the results this time round.

(I have found that I am invited to a party for Tury activists though, which I am rather hmm about. I don't think they realise I am not supportive Tory housewife. I will have to be tactful (hard) and keep gob shut (harder))

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 11:42:16

I can't dislike Boris.
I wouldn't mind buying shares and wheeling him out for dinner parties.
Not that I have dinner parties. But if I did.
There's no doubt he's entertaining.
Also I'm slightly disillusioned with Ken, but it would really get my goat for London to be presided over by a Conservative Mayor.
Then when that Conservative happens to be Boris.....

specialmagiclady Fri 02-May-08 11:43:42

I thought the Left was riddled with Humous. Right far more into British food than fancy foreign muck, shurely?

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 11:44:05

Effie!! How are you going to bear their gloating?? You're a stronger woman than me.

limecrush Fri 02-May-08 11:44:19

am wondering what sort of destruction Boris will wreak.

I have no idea what he actually wants to achieve other than self-promotion, but presume he wants to see the 80s relived... eek

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 11:45:01

Well, I vote Labour but I don't like Humous.
It's a conundrum...

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:45:40

I will be gnawing -- my-- fingernails smiling politely

Actually the local tories i have met so far are pretty nice, just a bit ineffectual (Labour heartland, not a chance in hell of local council changing). As opposed to the ones I grew up with (safe tory seat) who were vile

pooka Fri 02-May-08 11:46:27

Biggit - you're not posh enough to have a pint with Boris unless you wear this:

www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/mar2007/bullingdon_01.jpg

See you later.

PS I shall not be talking about the mayor unless Ken has won. If Boris has won I will be drinking copious amounts of wine, crying and generally snapping at all and sundry. So no change there.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:47:50

That's my problem. I do think we need a chance, but I grew up in the 80s and remember the working classes being completely shafted ... I know the Tories are supposed to have changed but I can see the smae old buggers there in the background and I want to run sharp things into them angry

so I end up in wussy Liberal territory with comfortable shoes and increasing neuroses hmm

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:48:01

change

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 11:48:01

'As much as I DON'T want Boris to win', I meant blush

marina Fri 02-May-08 11:48:25

I live in a politically very nondescript suburb in outer London and I have never seen so many people at our polling station.
Was at choir practice next door last night and all 20 of the choir had voted = 100% turnout
We are adjacent to Derek Conway's constituency, and in a formerly Tory constituency that turned in 1997, has a smashing Labour MP, but is definitely a marginal.
Boris may be more personable than Ken - but I still do not like his underlying political ideology and I think too much emphasis on personality politics may have given London a potential albatross Mayor if the predictions are right

Piffle Fri 02-May-08 11:48:30

so glad I'm not a Londoner. I'm not eloquent enough to defend all the faux pas Boris will make. Slightly xenophobic and classist. Great qualifications indeed.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:50:11

yes, but Ken has his fair share of faux pas...

I'm undecided about the personality thing. Because, for Mayor, you are voting for the person rather than the party, which is after all Ken's legacy.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 11:51:12

am watching coverage now (while working ahem).

1 in 10 has been counted they say. Boris in the lead atm (long way to go).

Worst news - BNP doing OK sad. BASTARDS.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:51:52

Oh lord

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 11:52:06

<considers self-immolation>

marina Fri 02-May-08 11:52:09

Effie, agree 100% with your 11.47 post there. Behind jovial Boris there is still a grand tradition of disregard for the lesser orders. All the bonhomie in the world does not alter the fact that he is in the same political party as have been Norman Tebbit, Keith Joseph and Enoch Powell.

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 11:53:24

What channel are you watching, foxy?

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 11:53:48

As the man put it, Lower Than Vermin.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:54:02

Yes, I sometimes think I should be charitable and acknowledge that parties change and adapt (wouldn't like to sign up to left-wing policies in the earlier 20th c for eg) but they could at least CHANGE THE PEOPLE. Because we are not stupid, we remember.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 11:54:52

lol marina. You are so fabulous you know.

Dh and I were saying this morning...what Cameron has to do and has been trying to do is distance himself from those type of Tories. To make it 'ok' to vote Tory again because it hasn't been ok for middle England to vote Tory for a while. Methinks the tide is turning.

but you know what? council results almost never bear resemblance to the votes people make when it comes to voting for MPs/parliament. People feel more comfortable voting for Tory councils than they do for Tory government.

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 11:55:01

And, mi, you saw the man in an " I heart Maggie" badge...
(another new name, fed up with the spongebob riff)

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 11:55:49

I did indeed. More than 25 years later, the image is still seared on my brain.

pooka Fri 02-May-08 11:56:02

Well what a wonderful day for London if BNP AND Boris do well. angry
It makes me ashamed to be a londoner. And sometimes I really hate where I live - should think that it'll be Boris all the way round here.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:56:57

was reading Matthew Parris' biog a few years backm, and not being partic. aware int he 80s (on the grounds that I was about 10) hadn't clocked that it wasn;t just Margaret Thatcher, there was the whole party machine generating these policies and implemeting them... we can't conveniently say that was Thatcherism and move on because I suspect they're doing the same things, just quietly .

What's your alternative though? God this is depressing me .

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 11:58:36

because I can't do social collectivism either

(sorry, misc political musings here)

talilac Fri 02-May-08 11:59:06

I agree with Marina re Boris.

We too have a very decent local labour MP, but our assembly member is the dreaded Brian Coleman, fingers crossed really that he gets kicked out. The mayoral thing is fascinating and potentially terrifying but there is a lot more at stake here.

Going to be watching later with bated breath..

seeker Fri 02-May-08 11:59:16

<seeker packs revolver and bottle of whiskey>

"I'm going out, I may be some time"

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 12:00:03

Seeker, can I come too?

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 12:01:21

Pooka like someone posted earlier if ther is a big turnout it will mean BNP will have les chance of being elected to the assembly as they need 5% of the vote.
I actually think politics has changed away from ideologies and more towards opinion polls etc. Politics now seems to be about the preservation of power and as such the Tories and Labour seem to be fighting over the middle ground where the votes are. So saying that can you really say there will be a great deal of difference between the two parties?
Anyway pooka you love it here, all the best people are in this area!!grin

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:02:09

I am prepared to give Boris the benefit of the doubt if he gets in

(see? Wussy liberal to the core)

Anyway, better go and vacillate somewhere

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:03:16

Effie, I've got Sky on in the background (who seem to have poached all the Beeb presenters! When did that happen!).

I really enjoyed Matthew Parris' biography (esp the Africa stuff).

I don't think the BNP will do well once all the votes are counted. I blardy well hope not anyway.

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:03:48

Indeed Effie
Bow Group
Adam Smith Institute
Centre for Policy Studies (now giving house room to the lovely Ruth Lea, formerly of the IoD)
Civitas

All propagating variants of "every person for themselves"

Actually, I am starting to feel too glum to post anymore on this thread....

seeker Fri 02-May-08 12:04:51

motherinferior - I'll share the revolver, but you need to bring your own whiskey

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 12:04:59

Effie there is no comparison between the Thatchrite party of the 70's and the Tories of today. The ideologies and the political situations are totally different. All the hardliners have gone with age and Thatcher. Even Heseltine would look fairly right of the agenda now compared to David Cameron.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:05:37

but Marina, people have voted

they are interested in the result

Democracy In Action

<brightens>

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 12:05:45

I still can't understand why Boris wants to be mayor - to be more in the public eye, what?
Which makes me think he has some really very sinister indeed plan to advantage overprivileged arses like himself at the expense of other people in London.
Which makes me very afraid.
Can I join the whisky and revolver crowd?

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:06:24

I think on this thread though they are mostly very pissed off with the result Effie wink

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:07:06

well then they should try harder next time

<sniffs>

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 12:08:23

<packs vodka>

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:08:23

My heart would sink more at the thought of Ken being back in than Boris. I wish Brian Paddick had made more of a go for it because I reckon he would have been quite good.

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 12:08:40

Verde- The word on the street is that he sees it as a stepping stone to a seat in a Cameron cabinet (hence him deciding not to give up his Henley seat if he wins and instead do both jobs part-time).

I can't believe so many people fell for the affable, nice-guy routine. He actually seems very ambitious and ruthless.

Too late now sad.

cosima Fri 02-May-08 12:10:27

It could only be worse if "the Lord" got the casting vote!

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:11:33

we could always start a campaign for next time

BARRY HUMPHRIES FOR MAYOR

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:12:17

Well, he has hardly made it beyond the backbenches in the House of Commons, I suppose, o worm.
He has been fuelled by a couple of ideologies including a worryingly trainspotterish obsession with Routemasters
If HIS PARTY had not forced privatisation of bus services and thereby allowed private firms to cut corners on driver safety and back-up, his plan to wipe out ASBO antics on buses would be a lot easier to implement.
I think it is a bit rich to expect drivers who are sometimes rostered so tightly they have to park up for a pee mid-journey, to put his completely unrealistic sanctions in to place.
And unlike Boris, I'm sure, I know two bus drivers socially.
The likes of Arriva will laugh in his face, I bet

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 12:12:20

Interesting fact: if its a draw, the monitoring officer (who is Anthony Mayer, chief executive of the GLA) draws lots to decide who wins.

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 12:13:06

Ah, I was wondering ignorantly whether he could / would be allowed to do both jobs p/t. So people have been going out to vote for a shaggy self-ggrandising arse who is planning to run London *part time*.

Boggle

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 12:14:13

That should be bold p/t - it never works for me...

pooka Fri 02-May-08 12:14:31

Part-time! Insanity.

is the lefties lack of humous a Pit(t)a?

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 12:15:10

It's a shame the London Assembly has no powers to speak of

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 12:16:11

But isn't there a member of the labour cabinet working part time? Also with a job in the Scotish parliament? Cannot remember who?

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:16:56

and you think Ken is better marina? Ken and his cronies and his jaunts and his complete disregard for London west of the city? We've had bus routes cut under Ken and no improvement at all to our transport. I did support his bid to get London overground under his wing though.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:18:09

ah yes. The small matter of defence...

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:19:24

anyway if anyone wants to get cross, may I suggest moseying along to this?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/66/522595?ts=1209727120306&msgid=10651430

blood pressure BAD

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 12:19:35
AitchTwoCiao Fri 02-May-08 12:20:11

he is a clever chap, old boris. but yes in general the country is laughing at london today. ROFL. grin

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:24:21

blardy scots wink. Is your dp a Rangers fan?

It's mad London at the moment. Just mad.

I think you'll find that what Boris intends to do is keep being an MP until the next election, to avoid forcing a by-election in his constituency.

Which is exactly what Ken did when he was elected in 2000 - he stayed on as the Brent East MP after he was elected as mayor, and then stood down at the next election.

Double standards much?

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 12:27:53

is rachel johnson his sister

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 12:29:11

Yes, she is.

hana Fri 02-May-08 12:31:07

Ken should have backed down and a fresh new labour candidate in his place. He's been around far too long - a bit like fish.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:31:18

they look quite similar I think (maybe it's the hair)

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 12:32:19

well they are pretty similar sufficient to put me off completely

i think it is insane realy all this personality stuff
especially when it is such a self serving personlaity

i just dont think he is credible

it would be ok if it was just a powder puff position but it is actually a real big job

if people had to apply for it in the normal way then he would never even get shortlisted

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:44:14

fox, no he's not significantly better. The recent financial scandals associated with Lee Jasper were a disgrace and I don't like the man's public persona much tbh
But, he has done a lot of good things for London as a whole. Boris does not have much of relevant substance in comparison.
I can see why people see the W London Congestion Charge as a punitive measure and I think Ken is going to rue the day he implemented it in the teeth of the consultation results

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:45:53

zippi, your last line sums the whole thing up entirely
There must be Tories out there who might be able to cobble together an application to be Mayor based on experience and skills (Chris Patten for example) but Boris would be straight in the circular file in any normal recruitment process

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:48:03

they just said (on the news) turnout is 45% (for the mayoral vote)

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:49:37

But marina, nobody has anything of substance compared to Ken purely because Ken has been around so long. Can you remember how awful Frank Dobson appeared? I also think they should have come up with another Labour candidate but of course, they haven't got one!

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:51:09

Touche
I wish Labour had fielded someone different
And I do think someone like Chris Patten would have presented a much more credible alternative because of his HK experience
Frank Dobson shock

morningpaper Fri 02-May-08 12:51:53

DEAR GOD

the Standard is unpacking it's champagne

I WANT TO CRY

where's my valium

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 12:52:22

well yes

im not actually convinced he is intelligent

i think they could have had an equally edifying election if they had made it into

a satruday night tv programme

i just cant think of a suitably ridiculous title

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 12:52:24

lol

I always thought that beard would cause problems with the small children and baby photo opportunities

AitchTwoCiao Fri 02-May-08 12:53:04

he most certainly is NOT, foxy. shock

marina Fri 02-May-08 12:53:05

<hands MP Valium and copy of Eats Shoots and Leaves>
There there MP

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 13:00:39

is he a green scot then Aitch (lol at the shock)?

(WHY is mumsnet so SLOW)

morningpaper Fri 02-May-08 13:04:29

oh dear I leaked an apostrophe

see the depth of my mourning

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 13:06:59

you can change your name to mourningpaper <you know, for a second, my day brightened at the thought of the Standard handing out real champagne>

still a long way to go...(with the counting)..

AitchTwoCiao Fri 02-May-08 13:07:28

no, he's from fife. they don't let the green ones in. but he's not a teddy bear, fgs. [horrified]

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 13:10:50

Dobson was Unvoteable For purely for his comments on redheads angry

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 13:15:00

aah was following your holiday thread at one stage last week and wondered what footie he was worried about

scottish fans make me lol. I once got cornered by a drunk Kilmarnock fan at a wedding shock and by the time the wedding was over, I had a place to stay and guaranteed drinks all night if I came to watch the Killies play (long past are my days when men were after a shag).

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 13:15:40

<<offers solidarity>>

castille Fri 02-May-08 13:26:49

Just thought you might like to know that today is St Boris's day

(so it said on the chalkboard outside my local florist)

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 13:29:34

I was sad enough to google St Boris

he has a sidekick called Gleb

this has cheered me immensely

www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/saints/boris_gleb_prince.htm

marina Fri 02-May-08 13:38:26

He also has a sidekick called Marina
I wish to point out that I am not she

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 13:38:44

He was the son of Vladimir...

serenity Fri 02-May-08 13:39:46

If I ignore it all, d'you think it will all go away?

BJ as mayor? Oh bollocks.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 13:39:58

ho ho

marina Fri 02-May-08 13:40:10

It's like Six Degrees of Separation with Vladimir in Russia though MI
It might or might be significant
Michael Howard, on the other hand...

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 13:42:58

marina, did you take your name after Boris' wife? Really, all these protests and you actually pine for him wink

marina Fri 02-May-08 13:44:04

It's about as likely as you being named for that dire maroon-clad Bingo mascot missus wink

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 13:46:22

lol

I thought she was quite foxy actually wink.

Gawd, the Lib Dems have done badly nationwide. WHEN will they learn to run a council?

prettybird Fri 02-May-08 13:51:03

Not in or from London, but do think that ken made a mistake re-joining the Labout party. I am sure that he would have been more successful as an Independent and wouldn't have got coaught in the anti-Brown/Labour backlash.

LittleMy34 Fri 02-May-08 13:51:48

Boris is SO bad that the Guardian actually stuck their neck out yesterday and nailed their colours firmly to the mast with their G2 lead feature.

here

Never seen them come out that firmly on one side or t'other.

Hope it prompted some people to vote. sad

Blu Fri 02-May-08 13:52:11

I feel physically SICK at the thought of Boris as Mayor - or ant tory - but I am also really angry with Livingstone.

I have spent all morning in Brixton with organisations in the same sector as Jaspers fraudulent Brixton Base project. How could Ken have continued to defend Jasper? It shows total contempt for the people of London who can SEE - because they work right by the building or in the same sector - that Brixton Base did NO activities etc etc etc. And the sector most damaged is the black business sector, who feel that Jasper co-poted areas such as Brixton as his personal fiefdom in which to weild power for power's sake.

I have been working towards a development with spotential support from the LDA - if Ken loses this election 5 years of my work will eveporate - and ken let that happen with his stupid stance, and misguided loyalty on the basis of faux anti-racism.

But Boris would be a terrible blot on the landscape and Paddick pointless.

I have not felt so depressed about politics since that dreadful bleak dawn when I woke to hear my downstairs neighbours weeping in the garden because Major was in...the last time the tories got in.

orangina Fri 02-May-08 13:52:34

I don't know, there was a big anti ken backlash too.... especially from the west london cc extension haters (lots of those out there...). Not sure independance would have saved him (assume he has actually lost, not yet confirmed...)

orangina Fri 02-May-08 13:56:36

know how you feel re: depressed at the whole business blu... I spent half of my day yesterday on here saying what shall i do, boris or ken? hate them both. boris or ken? hate them both....
how did we end up with such a rubbish selection of people to choose from?

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 13:58:06

Oh god I remember that last election, yep, dreadful, wasn't it.

<hangs head in hands>

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:00:38

well quite - peach position, how come all the candidates were so crap?

I mean even the Green party could have sported someone more credible than her? No political weight, and much as I might rant about urban 4x4s I really think an entire campaihgn directed at them is student politics.

Left List etc were touting issues which are hardly in the remit of the mayor anyway...and the rest were nutters.

Where are the GOOD people??

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 14:00:54

well if Ken loses, he has only himself to blame. I don't think the Labour party backlash has much to do with it. He's never associated himself that closely with them at all (and vice versa!). The corruption, the cronyism and the pissing off of W/SW London (and let's face it - we get good voter turnout our side).

That turnout (45%) is the highest they've had - first time more than 2 million have voted in the London elections.

AitchTwoCiao Fri 02-May-08 14:01:14

i'd campaigned for glennie in hampstead the day before, imagine my horror when major got in...

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 14:03:25

The thing about London is that it IS such a hugely mixed, multicultural city, and having a posh elitist like Johnson at the helm is going to be a fucking disaster in terms of racial and religious relations

I feel the need to get drunk for 4 years

I am starting to feel sick at the thought of a Tory win at the next general election

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 14:05:16

I do agree, FIS. Ken is loathsome. And I say that as someone who would rather have him than Boris.

MissingMyHeels Fri 02-May-08 14:05:20

Paddy Power are already paying out bets on Boris! http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/05/02/paddypowers-pays-out-on-boris/#comments

CatIsSleepy Fri 02-May-08 14:05:57

oh god am so so depressed at the thought of boris winning

Cannot see it as anything other than bad news for london.
I think some people see him as a harmless buffoon and thought they'd take it out on the labour party by voting for him. I actually don't think he's harmless at all, buffoon or not.

dh works at City Hall. he reckons alot of people will lose their jobs or be sacked . am a bit worried about dh's job too tbh.

MissingMyHeels Fri 02-May-08 14:06:59
CatIsSleepy Fri 02-May-08 14:07:26

MP a tory win at the general election next time is starting to look more likely isn't it?
I can't bear the thought of it.

LittleMyDancing Fri 02-May-08 14:08:16

He is definitely not harmless. He's one of the most dangerous people in politics, exactly because he LOOKS harmless, and I'm chain eating Revels at the thought of him being mayor.

Thank goodness I moved out of London.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 14:08:54

Blu, so sorry this may cause real problems for you.

I can only assume that BJ has picked up votes from BNP supporters.

CatIsSleepy Fri 02-May-08 14:09:28

exactly littlemy

am in denial actually-I can't believe Boris will end up our mayor
It can't happen, surely!

LittleMyDancing Fri 02-May-08 14:12:16

I got an email from Boris' campaign the other day which made me hopping mad. REALLY wanted to send a snippy reply pointing out that:

- I wouldn't vote for him even if the alternatives were Hitler, Pol Pot and Saddam Hussein
- that I REALLY resented him contacting me directly and demanded he take my email address off his list pronto
- and his campaign was obviously not working very well if he was emailing people who don't live in London for votes

But it was one of those Do Not Reply email address. [sulks]

sfxmum Fri 02-May-08 14:13:49

Good grief!

is it all about celebrity and how 'funny' you are?

orangina Fri 02-May-08 14:15:05

i got a phone call from someone on boris's team yesterday. They left a terribly pleasant message. But I hate the way they say "I hope we can we count on your vote..." as if there is no way one would do anything else...

LittleMyDancing Fri 02-May-08 14:15:09

Is what about celebrity? The election?

FairyMum Fri 02-May-08 14:16:10

What a depressing day for London.

limecrush Fri 02-May-08 14:16:38

what is going to happen when the Tories get in nationally I wonder

we have been complacent for a while I think- Labour may not have been good enough but for sure the Tories will be worse...don't know how yet though, which is the frightening bit. I just see them as generally (even) more inhuman.

Mercy Fri 02-May-08 14:18:00

I feel the same as you Motherinferior.

Blu, that's very interesting re Lee Jasper etc. I had no idea.

I'm feeling rather sad and angry at the moment (and embarrassed at my ignorance of politics these days). Does anyone know when the results will start to come in?

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 14:20:51

well I stil think Boris is a better option than Ken. Really. But I would have liked a credible alternative to vote for

susiemj Fri 02-May-08 14:22:07

I cannot believe that Boris Jonson may be going to win a position of responsibility. It's incredible.

There seems to be a consensus that we're not governed by an Eton/ Oxbridge elite as in the first part of this century anymore but we certainly are. IF he's elected, as the pointed out on Radio 4 yesterday, the leader of the Conservatives, their Chairman and the mayor of London will all have been members of the Bullingdon (sp?) club. I'm not given to swearing, but FFS!

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:22:15

yes, I daresay BJ will have picked up BNP votes. And will (if he gets in) operate knowing he has that backing . ugh ugh ugh.

And cabbies, fgs. I have had cab receipts with BJ stuff printed on the back. Of all people to have benefitted from Congestion Charging and bus lanes (which black cabs can go in) you would have thought it would be cabbies.

I don't know - from Ken's glorious days of Thames days and the Fares Fair policies, how can he have become so loathesome and slithery? Bloody man. And, like MI, that's from someone who voted for him. Because i think the labour London Assembly have operated well. Would just have liked a different personality.

VersdeSociete Fri 02-May-08 14:22:32

Can we have an undertaking from MNHQ that Boris won't come on for a webchat? That would be salt in the wounds...

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 14:26:20

Message withdrawn

JeremyVile Fri 02-May-08 14:27:18

I feel similarly, Blu, re Livingstone.
I' pissed off that his good record doesn't seem to be enough.
He has been a fool over the Jasper episode, sgouldn't have been so bolshy in his defence of something that is, whichever way you look at it, wrong.
Also being caught out last week, lying about there being no increase in public transport fares. He's been an idiot.
I'm so annoyed that he has allowed this to happen. If, indeed, it has happened. (My fingers are still crossed).

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 14:27:24

I think this bringing up of his background is pretty abhorrent actually. Lots of the Labour lot were privately schooled.

I also think the BNP lot voted for themselves.

I am as liberal as the next champagne quaffing socialist but I can't STAND people having a go at others purely because of their upbringing, no matter who they are.

And if Boris gets in, it will be because a majority of Londoners voted for him. And he still may not. In that respect, mumsnet is just not representative of London opinion then.

sfxmum Fri 02-May-08 14:28:08

all those declarations of class is over there is no divide hurrah for meritocracy hmm
clearly just justification for greed

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 14:29:49

<quietly applauds FIS>

it isn't a straight dichotomy here. The Labour London assembly and a Labour government has frankly failed the (Labour controlled) borough I live in. Violence against young men is rife, as is casual cruelty from officials. Of course, according to Ken, this is a local problem.

foxythesnowfox Fri 02-May-08 14:30:20

He chaired 'Have I got news for you' more than once.

He had an affair.

Not much of a track-record for running for Mayor of London is it?

sad sad sad sad

pooka Fri 02-May-08 14:31:27

You can be white, male and go to public school and not be an arse, a buffoon and pal of Darius Guppy. Am thinking of my dh, my father and all others who have managed to avoid turning into Boris Johnson, who to me represents the worst possible example of a white man who has been to public school.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 14:33:09

Well the BNP definitely told their voters to give their second vote to BJ.

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 14:33:20

Excellent post foxinsocks.
I agree completely.

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:34:58

swc - as far as I am concerned, it isn't what BJ IS it's what he says (and will do) that is threatening to diversity.

Comments re his N ireland talks fair enough if that's your stand - but he was upfront about it.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 14:36:18

New Statesman on his track record:

"Boris Johnson is a dishonest, incompetent clown, whose life has been a story of contemptuous, self-serving privilege.

He is a man who has lost a number of jobs for lying: he was sacked from The Times for making up a quotation from his godfather, the Oxford historian Colin Lucas, and lost his front-bench role, under Michael Howard, for lying about his four-year extra-marital affair with his fellow toff journalist, Petronella Wyatt. (For men like Johnson, with friends in high places, serial sackings are no bar to advancement.)

As well as being a famous liar, Johnson has skirted the borders of criminality when it has suited his interests or those of his foul, larcenous and over-privileged friends. In 1990 he agreed to give the home address of journalist Stuart Collier to Darius Guppy, a narcissistic Old Etonian convicted fraudster, who wanted to have Collier beaten up in revenge for some perceived slight. On being asked how badly Collier would be beaten up, Guppy informed Johnson that it would involve “a couple of black eyes, a cracked rib … or something like that”.

It is beyond satire that the man campaigning for the mayoralty of London by stoking up fear of violent crime should once himself have been involved in the attempted commission of an instance of GBH. Despite his new found enthusiasm for the Metropolitan police, did he alert the authorities to Guppy’s intentions? No."

I'm interested that Boris' membership of the Bullingdon keeps coming up - does anyone actually have any experience of the Bullingdon, or are you just repeating what you've read in the papers?

As far as I remember from university, these were just a group of boys with an inflated sense of their own importance who liked to get drunk and break windows (which damage was always paid for in full afterwards!)

It's not like they were some secret evil society, hell bent on taking over the world. For God's sake, Ruth Kelly is a member of Opus Dei, which I find much more disturbing!

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 14:38:28

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 14:39:02

isnt it odd tho that the best people for the top jobs in anorganisation all come from the same tiny place out of all the possible diverse backgrounds in the uk they could come from

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:40:33

I mean he wasn't meeting them secretly and lying about it.

Boris Johnson comes out with a sucession of comments ranging from downright racist to tactless.

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 14:40:34

the problem being of course that it isnt odd

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 14:42:20

Oxford isn't that small.

I went there. So did loads of other MNers.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 14:43:09

> And what on earth is Boris Johnson proposing to do that will threaten diversity?

well apart from the fact that he has no respect for black people, gay people or Muslims, I'm sure he will make a GREAT leader of a diverse population of a city such as London

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 14:46:33

Message withdrawn

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 14:47:02

well mn isnt really that diverse either is it

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:49:37

Did ken 'champion the IRA'? or did he allow voices to be heard / people to speak?

onebatmother Fri 02-May-08 14:49:56

PennyBenjamin "
As far as I remember from university, these were just a group of boys with an inflated sense of their own importance who liked to get drunk and break windows (which damage was always paid for in full afterwards!)"

If you can't see what's repulsive to many people in that sentence, then sheesh!

Actually, I will tell you because I'm not patient enough to see if you work it out.

The destruction of the property of other people - particularly that of one's social 'inferiors' - is NOT OKAY AS LONG AS YOU PAY FOR IT!!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I find it more morally repulsive if one has done so with the the confident intention of being able to pay one's way out of trouble, than not.

Grotesque.

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 14:50:39

Anyway if Ken is not re elected he will have to think about how he lost the election. Did he alienate Londoners with his policies? Sounds like the congestion charge westwards was a failure and the constant increases in Council Tax and rates must go against him.
I think the election was his to lose as generally he is a pretty popular politician.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 14:52:15

Message withdrawn

johnso Fri 02-May-08 14:52:38

As an ex Londoner I will be ashaammeed id Boris gets it
Ashammmeedd

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 14:52:41

I seem to remember the Bullingdon was universally loathed among the sort of people I hung out with, although admittedly I'm not sure Boris remembers me.

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:54:03

And whereas I would agree that the 'watermelon smile' quote is probaby a parody (probably...) why would the other stuff be? Or his views on Civil Partnership?

I'm not wildly supporting ken - I think he is a power-mad unpleasant man. But I think what he has done for London has often flown in the teeth of popular opinion (bringing in the CC) and been good. Public Transport has been improved inestimably, all sorts of general 'clean-ups'.

I felt grubby voting for him.

But Boris hasn't even mooted any actual policies except shallow reactionary (anti-bendy bus) ones and platitudes.

Onebatmother - my point is not to defend the breaking of other people's property, it is to point out that this behaviour is no different than what a large proportion of people do at university, or indeed outside university, when they are young. And then people grow up.

And who said they were breaking the property of their "social inferiors"? What a ridiculous thing to say.

My point is that this isn't some evil top toff organisation, it's just a group of boys getting together to get drunk.

Blu Fri 02-May-08 14:55:23

I was asking a question, actually swc.

FairyMum Fri 02-May-08 14:55:45

I live in West London and support the congestion charge. I think this was a brave and necessary move by Ken.
But then we don't have a car and only use public transport to get around. Don't really understand why you need a car if you live in central London
to be honest. I think the transport system in London is fantastic.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 14:56:17

Message withdrawn

onebatmother Fri 02-May-08 14:56:59

imo, it's a group of evil top toff boys who will go on in later life to be CEO of evil top toff organization.

motherinferior Fri 02-May-08 14:57:53

But most of us didn't smash things.

(Admittedly I did once throw up in the front quad of one of the More Ancient Colleges (having been out for dinner with no less than Evan Davies, ahem) but I was on the way to my NonViolent Direct Action Group at the time.)

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 15:01:53

As a non-driving, public-transport dependent parent living in an inner-city borough, I can honestly say that life for us has improved considerably during Livingstone's tenure as mayor. I really do find it depressing to think that the clock may be turned back sad. I really dislike Johnson as a personality but much more than that I am very concerned at his lack of experience and the fact that he has not articulated any policies that make any sense during his campaign only heightens my uneasiness.

Last one out turn off the lights, really sad.

FairyMum Fri 02-May-08 15:02:17

I am also confused about what people think they are voting for when they are voting for Boris (or the Tory party in general). I have made a huge effort to try to understand Cameron and his policies, but I haven't a clue. Have even less of a clue (if possible) about Boris. Very puzzled. I think people are voting against Ken and not really for Boris and I think its a massive massive mistake.

BigGitHamsterKillingDad Fri 02-May-08 15:05:27

FairyMum you are dead right, I think Ken has alienated part of the electorate and I think he may lose as a result of it.

Well, to be fair I don't think that anyone is saying Boris smashed anything either! But he is being tarred with the same brush as those people who did. It's like saying that because someone supports Millwall, they must be a hooligan.

I totally agree that I came across some very objectionable people at Oxford too, but these were certainly not confined to the Bullingdon Club, or even to the Right Wing!

And I didn't smash anything either, but I don't necessarily hold it against those who did stupid things while they were young and drunk.

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 15:11:28

Well, if Boris gets in, we can only hope that he makes such a hames of it all that it really redounds on Cameron come the General Election.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 15:13:45

Message withdrawn

soapbox Fri 02-May-08 15:15:05

I am sickened by the whole bloody lot of them quite frankly! The real issue that in London, this magnificent city, we had a choice of crap, crap and more crap as mayor!

Why on earth does running this fabulous city not attract the very best of politicians? Why are we left to choose between the dregs and the outcasts - fools and bufoons?

It is outrageous that it should be this way!

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 15:15:59

C'mon, swc - tell tell - which college? smile

talilac Fri 02-May-08 15:19:57

Soapbox - I agree with you completely. A choice between the stupid and the corrupt is no choice at all.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 15:22:21

Message withdrawn

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 15:23:11

Oh <disappointed>

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 15:24:00

well manifestly there are plenty of tossers in all parties

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 15:25:27

I do think you have to have certain tosser-ish elements to your personality even to want to run for office in the first place.

SixSpot - I completely agree. The inherent problem with politics is that the type of people who would put themselves forward are, almost by definition, not the people you would want to vote for. Ho hum.

soapbox Fri 02-May-08 15:37:51

I agree to an extent - but there is mainstream tosserish and off the scale tosserish!

And I think we should not have to make do with off the scale tosserish!

donnie Fri 02-May-08 15:38:46

Trevor Phillips would have made a great mayor,as I've said before.

It is beyond comprehension that anyone could listen to Boris Johnson speaking - or ranting should I say - for more than 30 seconds without concluding that he is an utter twat. I do think there is a clear movement towards the right in the UK anyway, including London. Hence the apparent success of the Tory party candidate for the Mayor's position. I also think it is entirely possible that the Tories will win the next general election.

I notice that on the other mayor thread some posters are trying to suggest that KL is anti semitic because of the Finegold incident - the man was doorstepping Ken and thrusting a camera in his face at the time. That's a bit like saying people are anti black if they dislike Mugabe or Idi Amin.

talilac Fri 02-May-08 15:39:01

I'm depressed.

DH is laughing at me, cos he was rooting for Boris. But I'm miserable.

Bloody Boris and his stupid bloody hair.

(Yes I know thats Hairist, but I don't care)

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 15:40:32

i hope this isnt going to be one of those threads where zippi simultneous ly lowers the tone and drags it off the main topic

luckily i will be off soon as i have to dye my hair pack buy a waterproof jacket a map and toreches and be in london by 8.30

when are the results announced?

aDad Fri 02-May-08 16:05:57

Think results are at 8.30pm.

Simply cannot believe that many people would vote for him. I don't get what he has to offer anybody?

Blu Fri 02-May-08 16:13:14

Zippi - a map and torches? We're not in a State of Emergency here in London YET, you know!

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 16:15:11

yes, I've heard they are this evening. I imagine, if they need the second vote, it will take a bit longer.

I also think a HUGE amount of Boris votes were purely anti-Ken votes (and no doubt, vice versa).

zippitippitoes Fri 02-May-08 16:15:12

lol it sounds as though i am coming in disguise too

SixSpotBurnet Fri 02-May-08 16:15:43

Snort! Be prepared to encounter long columns of people marching OUT of London!

Nagapie Fri 02-May-08 16:17:58

With all this venom about, let's just hope tht those responsible will keep the mayor in his place and not allow a repeat performance ...

onebatmother Fri 02-May-08 16:18:36

zippi - are you dyeing in emulation of or protest at BJ?

I think the thing I loathe the most - more even than the 'comedy' face hiding a soul of coal, the lack of any articulated policies, the sheer freaking Toryness of him (in that if you boiled all of them down into a liquid, and put that liquid into a mould, you would get BJ) - the thing that I loathe the most is the pink rabbity inner eyelids. Even more than the liverlips.

onebatmother Fri 02-May-08 16:19:21

mold. damn. The rot is already setting in.

Izzywhizzy Fri 02-May-08 16:23:07

It's bound to go to second preference votes, so we won;t know for sure until quite late tonight.

Ok, I'm really head-in-the-sand about this (yes, I voted), but is Boris really talking about getting rid of the congestion charge? Could he do that?

staranise Fri 02-May-08 18:09:01

Deeply deeply depressed. When I heard he would be the Tory candidate, I actually laughed and thought they'd really shot themselves in the foot this time...

Cannot believe that anyone would seriously think that overgrown schoolboy could actually run our amazing, complex, multi-cultural, high-profile city of London.

I will be joining the queues marching out of London...

dinny Fri 02-May-08 18:12:05

God, at least he'll get rid of sodding K:L's zillions of quangos

onebatmother Fri 02-May-08 18:40:53

I have reservations about democracy which are, I fear, about to be rather spectacularly confirmed.

We will be governed by a children's entertainer.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 18:44:52

It's so depressing. And apparently there will be a BNP member on the assembly. It's as bad as bad can be.

staranise Fri 02-May-08 18:55:56

Who are these people who voted for him? My friend's mother (v elderly) put him down as 2nd choice by mistake, because she didn't understand how the system works...maybe it's all been one big mistake?!

Is the result definite now?

southeastastra Fri 02-May-08 18:57:18

omg he hasn't got in has he?

southeastastra Fri 02-May-08 18:57:18

omg he hasn't got in has he?

LittleMyDancing Fri 02-May-08 19:05:36

It's coming down to the second choices - story here

WideWebWitch Fri 02-May-08 19:06:06

Oh what a shame. he really is a tosser.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 19:06:51

No sea, no results until 8.30-ish. There is still hope <deludes self>

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:09:11

<cries>

I'm going to get fucking drunk and then shit myself until the general election

This is terrible

LittleMyDancing Fri 02-May-08 19:11:14

I'm with you on the drunk thing, mourningpaper sad

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:11:45

I mean I know everyone hates Livingstone but at least he KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING

BORIS JOHNSON????????????????????

I wouldn't leave him in charge of my PURSE!

<weeps>

PerkinWarbeck Fri 02-May-08 19:11:52

gosh, this is so depressing sad.

I sectioned a Tory yesterday, so I some ways I had 2 votes for Ken.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 19:12:08

won't come in till FAR later than that I reckon. 11ish, midnight.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:12:31

BORIS JOHNSON????????????????????

London in the greatest city in the WORLD

WHY would anyone hand it over to that right-wing IDIOT?

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:13:03

IT'S LIKE MR. TUMBLE WINNING!!!!!!

(except at least he is sensitive to children with special needs)

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:13:26

(good work, Perkin)

staranise Fri 02-May-08 19:24:09

Perkin, can you section BJ for his delusions of grandeur?

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 19:25:00

Message withdrawn

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:29:13

MN has a lot of families, who recognise that they are better off under a Labour government

Also people who like the idea of children being brought out of poverty, and disabled people being given equal rights, and mad revolutionary ideals like that

Callisto Fri 02-May-08 19:31:25

You're not wrong on either count Smallwhitecat.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 19:31:55

ahh but they've screwed a fair few people withe the 10p thing. And let's not mention the war.

I also think you'll find a fair few of those liberals on here admitting that Cameron has appealed to them.

in fact, there was a freudian slip on Sky earlier when the presenter said 'and here is Mr Bl...err I meant Cameron'.

I agree and have said it further down, a LOT of people voted Boris not because they were Tory but because they wanted Ken out. Tis a different thing mp.

And that's why council elections/majoral electoins normally bear no resemblance to how people vote in General elections.

Do you still live in london mp?

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 19:32:39

I am so, so gutted that a racist homophobe has been elected to represent Londoners.

If people can elect Boris, they can elect Cameron.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 19:33:02

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 19:33:57

the votes aren't counted yet!

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:34:33

smallwhitecat <pats on head>

you need worming

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:35:21

no I don't live in London now, I live in a Lib Dem stronghold in Somerset... (he is very NICE)

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 19:37:05

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 19:39:11

ahh summmaaaaaaarset. We got horribly lost there in half term and ended up at a Chinese restaurant in Trowbridge (is that in Somerset) at about 8.30ish with the kids with lots of people asking us why we were out so late with them. It's beautiful round there though.

Are you in David Laws bit (he's somerset isn't he)?

Libdems haven't done well in the council elections. I imagine they'll be quite pissed off. You'd expect them to do better I think.

sprogger Fri 02-May-08 19:39:23

Oh crap. I don't live in Kensington, Chelsea or Richmond. In fact, I'm pretty sure Boris can't find my area of London on a map.

Revealingly, my MIL (who lives in rural Cheshire) was happily asking DH last night if he'd "done the right thing and voted for Boris." I mean, Christ. You know things are bad when London's mayor is the Cheshire set's choice.

cockles Fri 02-May-08 19:39:45

oh god it's all my fault i voted green first & ken second. fingers crossed...

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 19:42:39

I am a Tory too smallwhitecat.
I tend not to join in these threads too much as I get wound up by the "all Tories are evil racist homophobic bastards" brigade. Those who argue about policy (like MP and Policywonk) I happily read and disagree with, but I am not evil/racist etc. I don't read the Daily Mail either.

I don't know what my actual point is, just wanted to add my support to your gallant one woman defence..grin

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:45:13

YOU IDIOT COCKLES

I blame all my friends who are Nice Gays and voted for the fecking Lib Dem chap

I want to slap them TBH

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 19:45:32

Message withdrawn

Nagapie Fri 02-May-08 19:45:49

Just how effective would/could Ken be with a Conservative majority in the assembly??

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 19:46:51

Well Tories aren't racist but they've never been on the side of the marginalised

The REAL racist people LIKE Tories because they are nearest they can get to Proper Racists

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 19:49:19

I think many (not all) people here use "I hate Tories racist etc" line as a short cut to demonstrate their moral superiority.

It is possible to hold wildly differing political opinions and still have mutual respect for those your disagree with, in real life I have many left wing friends who do not consider me scum because I am right wing. Which is not the same as being authoritarian btw.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 19:49:45

I voted Lib Dem <offended>

and Boris for 2nd choice <sticks tongue out and RUNS>

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 19:50:46

Message withdrawn

Tinker Fri 02-May-08 19:51:57

LOL at "sectioned a Tory". For being a Tory?

Am so glad I don't live in London.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 19:52:03

thinking about it, I have voted Tory for local elections before

but cannot see myself voting for them in a national election

which I think is fairly common

and I don't think all Tories are X any more than all Labour supporters are X. That's just lazy mindedness.

Who said all tories were racist?

Boris Johnson on the other hand...

"No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird."
· In 2002, on Tony Blair's visit to the Democratic of Republic of Congo, Daily Telegraph

"Right, let's go and look at some more piccaninnies."
· Reported remark, while visiting Uganda, to Swedish Unicef workers and their black driver, the Observer, 2003

"It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies."
· Daily Telegraph, 2002

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 19:55:24

Iorek, the assumption on here OFTEN is that all tories are racist and homophobic etc.

Boris is not someone I am about to defend.
But I don't think Ken is an advert for the Labour party either.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 19:55:27

Boris Johnson's dad has just been on BBC News trying to claim that Boris is fit to represent London's diverse population as he has a culturally mixed background.

Er, having an ancestry that shagged its way around the colonies does not make him any less of a bigot. hmm

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 19:55:57

SixSpotBurnet made a valid point further down - Ken's stance on the rising amount of knife crime has verged on the callous. He has massively underestimated the strength of people's concern about this.
I guess he has lost himself the election. It's a bleak day for London .
Thanks for that reminder of the whole disgusting Guppy affair MP.
Let's hope Boris' first job as Mayor is to confiscate his own Oyster Card and get litter-picking hmm
Blu, that's a devastating blow after all your hard work

sophable Fri 02-May-08 19:56:05

oh fark. channel 4 news thinks that boris has won.

fark.

and i like him ish until i read his odious horrible quotes that is.

but he just doesn't seem to have any policies!

staranise Fri 02-May-08 19:58:51

I don't hate Tories. I just hate BJ. And the fact that Cameron seriously considered him as a sensible, credible choice to run London, IMO, has wiped out any credibility that David Cameron (and hence the Tory party) might have earned in his own right.

Mind, I'm sure that DC will live to regret the day that he did choose BJ, and it will serve him right. Labour notably always tries to maintain some distance between themselves and Ken.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 19:59:50

I hate Tories. grin

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 19:59:54

exactly marina: we have two young men stabbed within 5 mins of our flat in the space of a few weeks

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 20:00:32

LOL at perkin

Dunno whether Boris is racist or not really. The Grauniad was doing vox pops with anti-Boris Londoners yesterday, and one of them (a black fella as it happens) said that he didn't think BJ was racist, just that his comments betrayed his upbringing, which is deeply unsuitable to running such a diverse and potentially tense city. I doubt that BJ thinks that non-whites are inferior to him; I'd guess that the non-whites he encountered at school and university, or writing for the Spectator, are just fine with him. He's just the sort of public school nonce who thinks that 'picaninny' is an amusing word that demonstrates his puckish sense of humour, rather than his roaring insensitivity.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 20:01:06

Message withdrawn

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:02:09

Excellent. A fan of a racist homophobe is telling me not be be prejudiced. grin

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 20:02:20

see - I just agreed with Policywonk again. I am sure we are on wildly differing sides of the political divide though grin

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 20:02:23

Ah but constance, wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall if Boris and either of these Two Nice Gays (tm MP) met in the gents?
And PMSL in a slightly hysterical fashion at sprogger's revelation that Greater London could be morphing into Cheshire!

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 20:05:03

lol - don't suppose Boris will be invited to their wedding. David is going I see.

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:05:18

DC, for all his annoying DC-traits, had a v similar background to BJ and yet I'd feel much more confident if he was in charge of London. At least he seems like a genuine Londoner who actually likes the city and the people who live here.

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 20:05:33

Message withdrawn

constancereader Fri 02-May-08 20:08:29

I agree about the career politician thing too. Did you read about the seminars they are running for MPs to inform them of the way in which the City operates, as the level of understanding was so poor?

smallwhitecat Fri 02-May-08 20:14:09

Message withdrawn

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:14:55

Have just had my parents on the phone and my dad said 'good job you're moving out of London soon if that Boris gets in'. Didn't dare mention that DH has been campaigning to that end for weeks...

(he already suspects us of betraying our roots by a) moving to London and b) giving DS two middle names)

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:15:15

He has no policies and he is wrong wrong wrong for London. He probably doesn't even like the place. Londoners were given a rubbish choice. Perhaps there is something about the way the post of Mayor has been consstructed that it only attracts derelicts.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:15:39

The trouble with Paddick is that he is a one trick pony. Londoners were crying out for a viable alternative to Boris or Ken and the Lib Dems let them down, big time.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:17:49

I suspect there was more to Paddick than meets the eye. He's interesting in some ways but the Lib Dems are feeble and couldn't run anything which explains why they consistently lose.

Would it be totally silly to get drunk and maudlin?

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:18:20

The whole coverage also made me realise how rubbish London news media is. That awful awful Standard.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 20:19:32

I like paddick, but I think he just got crowded out. BJ and KL are two big personalities; BP is less of a showboater.

constance, you can agree with me any time you like grin

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:21:46

Paddick did come across as a bit of an idiot (and no real competition) - remember the bit about getting bus drivers to break up fights? Like that would work on the 149 through Dalston grin

BUT he has held down a Proper Job and would, I think, have made a better go of it than Ken or Boris.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 20:22:24

wayhey policy! haven't seen you for ages

I thought Paddick was ok..knows his way round london for sure. Paddick/libdems remind me of the Nice Boys at school. Everyone pines after the naughty more exciting boys and then a few months down the line realise they should have given the nice boys more of a look in. (libdems policies often don't add up though).

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:22:47

O my god - just watching bbc news as Boris jogs about flapping his man boobs while his dad says he will be great for london becos he can read greek and latin. Dark days ahead!!! This is the man who also uses the word piccaninnies! But official results not until midnight?!

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:23:05

and there is the fact that 2 or more lib dems fight like cats in a sack

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 20:23:54

hello foxy, you bloody Tory wink

I always like the nice boys, myself.

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:24:13

Would love to get drunk and maudlin but am pg so will just have to get maudlin.

Oh, and I live in a Tory-run London borough with the lowest council tax in the country and a lovely active young female Tory MP. But my DD1 has not been offered a place at ANY of her local seven schools (because all are 35-70% over-subscribed, thanks to lovely cheap Tory council having closed ten schools over the past ten years). So we are moving out as well sad.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:24:21

see, this might be our problem. We have a great history of dissent, which SHOULD mean that parties like the Lib Dems are successful. But dissenters also tend to schism at the first opportunity, so to busy fighitn each other to win anything

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 20:25:23

lol I may be Blue but only for my football wink. Can't stand Ken though.

Did you really always like the nice boys? How very mature and impressive.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:25:32

star: am in Labour run borough which is crap. And lots of children without any place at secondary school AT ALL.

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:29:03

270 kids without a primary school place AT ALL where I live. The LEA assumes we will go private (they told me). That, for me, is one typical example of Tory political reasoning.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:32:06

And their dumb politics usually leads them down some line of "well, if you were clever/hard working/thrifty enough, you'd be able to send your kids private. And if you can't then you belong in the gutter. And probably your genes are wrong because breeding always shows." Gah!

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 20:33:44
policywonk Fri 02-May-08 20:35:42

foxy - no it was worse than that. I secretly yearned for the nice boys but ended up going out with the naughty ones. I've been out with some right arses in my time.

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:37:26

I can't fucking believe it! Boris really has one!! I keep hoping this is a surreal episode of Have I got News for You...one that runs for 4 years

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:38:05

I'm talking about primary school places, though excuse my narkines Effie, am pg and hormonal and have no school place and now a racist homophobic twat is likely to be running London, which makes us all look like idiots for voting him in.

We moved back to London from barcelona 2 years ago (what fools we were! What were we thinking?!) and I actually thought that in the time we had been away (5 years) London had really improved and we seemed like a credible city again. Now I feel like a fool. especially as one of the reasons we moved back was for the schools...

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:38:38

I meant won. The last post looked like I had enjoyed a somewhat inimate moment with the straw-haired bugger

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:39:26

Maybe we'll wake up tomorrow and appreciate the funny side of having BJ for Mayor. At there should be some interesting news stories coming up...

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:41:16

ARGH

WHY did anyone vote for the Lib Dems? They split the left so we end up with BORIS in charge

am drunk

talilac Fri 02-May-08 20:42:11

Because of Ken.

Ken or Boris. Boris or Ken.

Like choosing between vomit or poo.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:43:35

Or the Greens, she muttered darkly. Didn't they realise this was a keep Boris out situation?

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:44:23

Yes I know people hate Livingstone

But there WASN'T a third option

THERE NEVER IS IN POLITICS IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:44:23

Thanks to Boris, I too am now well on the way to becoming drunk. And I intend to stay that way for as long as he is mayor as a protest

PerkinWarbeck Fri 02-May-08 20:44:35

GLR (as was) is counting in the votes, and they already have someone on making Boris jokes. This is going to wear rather thin over the next four years.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:45:23

grin at Bluewolf

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:46:37

Good for you, Bluewolf. It's nice to know that in these degenerate times, a woman can still be counted on to do the right thing. Cheers. I do hope the blue in your name doesn't hint at any possibility of learning to love that buffoon.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 20:46:44

Wasn't BJ's father extraordinary! After 5 minutes of talking about himself (big egos run in that family) he then thought BJ was qualified to run London as he was good at Latin and Greek. FGS!!!!

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:47:27

Latin - very blardy handy. FFS.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:48:59

Yes I might stay drunk for 4 years too

good idea

although if he follows his previous record, he'll be fired pretty soon

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 20:49:03

good, I hope you all fark off out of London and lower property prices for the rest of us grin

talilac Fri 02-May-08 20:49:53

Ken got my second vote, and it looks like it will go to second votes, phew.

I have to admit, I thought it would be closer than it looks like being.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:50:19

So hasn't Boris definitely won?

Beetroot Fri 02-May-08 20:50:36

has he won?

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:50:50

It's a good job London doesn't have anything important on in the next few year, like the Olympics or anything. Phew!

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:50:52

the blue is more likely refering to dubious reading matter than tory leanings. Boris's dad is a classic, wittering on about missing a few days of campaigning as he was writing about elephants - theyre like a colonial simpsons mash-up

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 20:50:57

Ken's stalwart supporter the evening standard reckon it is Boris hanging in the balance say the Telegraph and vote put back til midnight

talilac Fri 02-May-08 20:51:02

We wont know til 10ish

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 20:51:03

Maybe we could change all the Tube signs to Greek?

Or you could get your Council Tax bill in Latin?

What do you think?

Beetroot Fri 02-May-08 20:51:07

what is London comining to

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 20:51:34

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP POSTING AS THOUGH THE RESULT HAS COME THROUGH

I'd like to reserve my outburst of tears, snot and vitriol for the actual result

I'm looking at you, Bluewolf

<pours White Grenache down throat - mmm, syrupy>

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:52:20

race riots and more terrorism

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 20:52:21

stop SHOUTING! where is it confirmed?

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:52:53

I'll be smashed by then. I think I'd better go and do something productive.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:53:02

lol at colonial simpsons mash-up!!

That has almost cheered me up!!! grin

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 20:53:09

But will the race riots involve Greek? This is obviously v. important to BJ.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:53:21

I'll be unconscious by midnight

Not sure I'll even make it through Peep Show

talilac Fri 02-May-08 20:53:58

Look, lets face it, we're here all night.

(settles down in her seat, pours a glass of wine and prepares to wait it out)

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:54:06

I'm so drunk I'm going to eat a MULLER CORNER

FairyMum Fri 02-May-08 20:54:14

Did Boris-Daddy really say those things about Greek and Latin? Nooooooo?

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:54:28

Am SO fed up, new Peep Show on tonight and I'm too depressed to watch it.

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 20:54:38

bbc reckon midnight result

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 20:54:44

His initials seem so appropriate.........

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:55:02

Indeed he did. And something about elephants.

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 20:55:14

lol

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Fri 02-May-08 20:55:27

FairyMum - yes!!!!!!!

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 20:55:36

So is there an actual deadline or are they going to keep dragging it out? It's a blooming rollercoaster ride innit

nkf Fri 02-May-08 20:56:55

The thing is the father probably doesn't really mean it. People like him just like baiting the oiks. They like the sense of superiority and they like making people feeling inferior.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 20:57:32

Ahem, do not tar the wonderfulness of the Classics by association
Mr Johnson Senior's insane bibbling on about how Boris will make a great Mayor because he knows Latin and Greek does not mean these great languages have nothing to teach us wink
<goes in search of an amphora of finest Falernian>

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 20:58:16

well that's it

I ate a Muller Corner with Vanilla Choco Balls

I can't sink much lower

FairyMum Fri 02-May-08 20:58:22

Like father like son I think.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:58:47

Oh blimey MP, you are in a bad way.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 20:58:49

beansprout, even if we are falling down drunk here we are still watching Peepshow. The parallel universe of Super Hans never looked so appealing

staranise Fri 02-May-08 20:58:52

It ain't over til the Fat Lady sings... (in Latin?)

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 20:59:25

I don't drink so am having to sit here and feel every painful fecking minute of this.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 20:59:48

Cheese string, MP? Billy Bear "ham" sandwich on Sunblest?

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:00:17

Peep Show is genius but I am just too depressed. George Clooney could turn up and I wouldn't have the energy to answer the door atm.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:00:29

Did you read that David Mitchell said that Russell Brand was intervieded for the position of Super Mans but didn't get it?

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:00:45

oh, i rather like the idea of BJ being blamed for making a hash of the Olympics.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:00:51

And is there really going to be a BNP candidate?

I feel quite ridiculously upset. As if London has been polluted and I do love the place.

I'll be blubbling into my beer next.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:00:59

RB as Superhans would have been fab.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:01:13

I might smoke a Cheesestring after my next beer

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:01:44

Brian Blessed on HIGNFY might be a good bet?

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:01:58

But when he messes it all up he won't care because he doesn't care. Because he's rich and self satisfied and selfish and a journalist for God's sake! A hack in charge of London. It's appalling.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:02:17

Do you know, I'd forgotten what it was like to lose an election. I mean, I'm no fan of New Labour, but since 1997 I haven't felt sick at an election result. (Well, apart from US elections of course.)

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:03:00

I know JUST what you mean PW

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:03:11

Oooh Marcus Handsome is on HIGNFY

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:03:44

Same here. The last time I felt like this was Thatcher's second win.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:03:50

It's like 1992 all over again.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:03:51

HIGNFY it is

HMmm I thought I was going to watch Dr Who but I've seen this episode

<sigh>

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 21:04:00

so was it a Pro-Boris validation or Anti-Ken labour sentiment?

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:04:04

Ooh theres a LA result in. Conservatives hold Bexley and Bromley.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:04:49

Worthless places.
I think the suburbs should be banned from voting. Bromley isn't London anyway. It's Kent.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:05:07

As I said earlier, if people can vote for Boris, they can vote for Cameron. That's what is truly depressing about this.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:05:20

Ah, Marcus would've cheered me up a tad, but DP is watching South Park.

Are election nights on MN always this much fun? I'm having quite a nice time, despite the whirling pit of despair opening up beneath me.

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:05:43

I can't believe anyone actually voted for that buffoon

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:06:36

What were they thinking of? I suppose they hate Ken and the congestion charge and the Labour govenment.

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:06:39

ditto Policy..

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:06:58

Yes we must meet here in November

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:07:44

Oh its all the Ken sleaze I think thats put people off - plus the Evening Standard ran a really good campaign for Boris.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:08:05

Perhaps BJ will instantly become enmeshed in a notorious scandal involving money, elephant guns, farm animals and half the Shadow Cabinet <looks on bright side>

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:08:10

spit

staranise Fri 02-May-08 21:08:13

Agree, it's a 1992 rerun, except worse because Brown and KL have thrown it away

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:08:25

at evening standard obv

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:08:44

I can understand people being sick of Ken but how could we possibly have BJ representing London on the international stage. It's all rather blush

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:08:53

the Evening Standard is the tool of the devil

Brian Blessed v. funny

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:09:14

staranise i know where you live, cause i live there too. but you know they are the most responsive council i've ever lived under. although lived in lambeth for a long time and that was SHITE±!

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:09:25

ES-That bloody tory rag

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:09:54

<wipes Soph's sputum off face>

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:10:02

i wouldn't mind if it was just tory, but it is pile of auld pants too

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:10:07

Riz Lateef (BBC London journo) described the ES's campaign as "pro-Boris" earlier on. Am seriously thinking of complaining to the BBC. Talk about misrepresentation.

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:10:14

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:10:22

They have already printed BORIS IS MAYOR front page for tomorrow.
Is there a tiny chance they could be wrong?

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:10:39

Apparently the ES is about to go under. So that's something to look forward to.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:10:56

The Evening Standard is pitiful. It's just a joke of a newspaper. And when you think what a London paper could be. And all we get is that dreary stuff.

Does anyone remember the London Daily News?

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:11:05

wouldn't that be wonderful mrs r

staranise Fri 02-May-08 21:11:09

according to the guardian yesterday, editor of the ES made Cameron pick BJ for mayoral candidate because she's bestie mates with him (and Andrew Gillighan - sp?)

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:11:17

Really? ES is going to fold?! There is a god!!!

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:11:19

yeah well maybe, just maybe, the ES knows stuff about Ken that it couldn't print. Stuff that paints him in a really bad light.

anyway, it's all done now <sits back and waits>

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:11:56

yes all we need is for him to smite the daily hate too. followed by torygraph (except the sport shout all the menfolk)!

sophable Fri 02-May-08 21:12:27

foxy do you work for ES????\\

spill dem beans

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:12:52

There is an anti-Ken strand at the ES though. Personally, I thought the line up of candidates was terrible but it looks like London selected the worst of the lot.

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:12:58

Do you know something we don't foxy? Cos I hear that Mn is quite a safe place to post libellous stuff. No one reads this crap, you know grin

donnie Fri 02-May-08 21:13:39

Oh God I cried my eyes out in 1992. My friend and I wrote a long drunken and very maudlin letter to Neil after he lost the election and we declared war on Kelvin McKenzie.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:13:52

"an Anti-Ken strand"???? They've run a smear campaign for the last few years!!!!!

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:14:31

ES is hateful.

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:14:42

So, can anyone tell me what Boris stands for?
Apart from NOT BEING KEN

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:14:49

That's true MP. I know. I know. I don't know why I sounded so mild. Time for more beer.

donnie Fri 02-May-08 21:15:06

if the ES collapses then I will be happy....

staranise Fri 02-May-08 21:16:24

Soph - yes, I lived in lambeth too and it was also rubbish. But that doesn't make our council any less rubbish. They have completely washed their hands of us and told us to go private: not what I'd term responsive. Plus, they are chopping down down all the trees opposite me despite the TPO. And they're unbearably smug. I'd rather pay double the coumcil tax and have a school place and some trees grin

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:16:27

Boris is better than George Galloway. Trying to look on bright side.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:16:35

Boris wants to rid London of poofs, Muslims, black people, poor people, people from comprehensive schools and children and kittens

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:16:49

I refuse to do a morningpaper wink <zips lips> but he's an odious character, that's all I'll say.

Brian Blessed is making me LOL.

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 21:18:04

What was the muck that ES didn't print? By the way Donnie you have made me recall with misty eyes the moment that Neil really lost the peoples vote (when he fell over at the seaside)

donnie Fri 02-May-08 21:18:14

boris stands for PICCANINNIES donchaknow?

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:18:33

yeah, Mp, he may WANT, but he is to inept to DO. So no worries...

mrsruffallo Fri 02-May-08 21:18:34

LOL MP

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:18:40

and you know what, there are PEOPLE with JOBS on the standard you know so less of that wishing it gone away. Though I remember it fondly in its hayday. Mr Paul Dacre has a lot to answer for imho.

MP, Boris is not THAT bad. If he wins, hopefully he'll have good advisors!

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:18:46

honestly, do you REALLY THINK that Johnson is going to be LESS corrupt and dishonest??!?!??!?!?!

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:18:55

He stands for the betterment of Boris.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:19:47

Neil really lost the people's vote when he stood at a prematurely triumphant rally in Sheffield and shouted, "AWRIGHT!!!!" several times. Like a twat.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:20:25

I'd heard that too policy. Dragging Andrew Whingepot Gilligan all the way to Hades with it I sincerely hope
Revolting paper
Foxy, I am sure there is loads more to Ken that makes for insalubrious reading, sadly

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:21:21

The thing with Ken is that he was at least effective, so I could put up with a lot from him.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:21:22

I hate Andrew Gilligan. I don't know why really but every time I see his smug little face I feel fury.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:21:35

<cough> x-posted there foxy shock

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 21:21:47

He stands for hair and it's impact on global buffoonery

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:21:56

I think it's pretty easy to be less corrupt than Ken tbh.

Ken still might win you know. It's not all over yet MP.

You can't pass out before the result woman. Have a fag or somefink.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:22:18

Now, I'm not a violent woman but Gilligan has an extremely punchable face.

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:22:31

Yes but Ken is corrupt and people say "OH DEAR GOD GET RID OF HIM!" and Boris is corrupt and people say "Oh he's such a card, let's elect him"

weirdy class suckers

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:22:46

Does anyone really think that Ken could still win?

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:23:28

oh you can wish the paper away if you like. I think it's sad it's in such a state.

scottishmummy Fri 02-May-08 21:23:43

nah just ken and his accolytes

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:23:49

agree beansprout. as i said to someone yesterday: i wouldn't want to be married to Ken, but he does get things DONE (which is no mean feat in the public sector) and mostly they are good.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:23:53

Is Ken so corrupt? What has actually been proved?

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:24:13

I think it's because he bleats on about "still being a Socialist" nkf, although I would like to point out here that not all of us suburbanites are responsible for Boris. UKIP are big round here too hmm and I would hazard a guess that the twerp obsessed with Edinburgh stealing our pennies got a good showing as well hmm
Bexley and Bromley say..."Flat earthers? To stop Ken? No problem "

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 21:24:13

that's cos Ken's corruption was located in Brixton whereas Boris's will be in some la-di-da club that doesn't let the ladies in

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:24:19

Isnt the whole Standard / Ken problem that he hates them and the whole group (Daily Mail, Metro etc) as much as they hate him, as a result of which he wouldn't have renewed Metro's contract in 2010 if still in power? Thus the Standard and their corporate owners going to such extreme lengths to get Boris in..

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:25:24

That's Gilligan's reason for being so slapworthy btw
Fast-moving thread with a lot of drunken women on it...

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:25:38

I'd like to see all those free papers go down. Just pr puffs leading to litter.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:25:58

Quite MerryMarigold, and Ken has spent his whole life working for London and Londoners and Boris..... <starts weeping bitterly again>.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:26:00

NO.

They said 'Ken is corrupt and runs consultations, then totally ignores what they said, he's a megalomaniac. How do we get rid of Ken? The only way we can do that is vote Boris'

and err that's it I think.

and a few Tories think 'ooh Boris. Let's vote for him. Our party's having a resurgence and it means we can get rid of Ken'

and that's that.

I don't think many people thought what would happen if he'd won LOL <holds head in hands>.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:26:25

Though I suppose they are the reason for the Standard going under. So out of good comes bad. Is it really going under?

mourningpaper Fri 02-May-08 21:26:49

My laptop battery is running out and I need to paint my toenails

I put pink on 4 nights ago, but I need to be red for tomorrow? Should I just put red on top of pink? OR should I remove the pink first?

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:27:19

grin at Marina and the drunken women.

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:27:48

NKF - Bromley is London acksherly. I bloody wish it wasn't right now though (and that I didn't live here).

I get very very cross with all the letters in the local paper going on about it being in Kent. I mean, why say that you live in Kent when you could lay claim to being a Londoner? And why would you want to claim to live in Kent anyway?

Is madness.

Bubble99 Fri 02-May-08 21:27:58

Stub that cheestring out before you do either, MP.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:28:04

no, it's not going under. Circulation is pretty woeful though. But all papers are struggling a bit I think. Big push to do more online. When the economy turns, advertising drops...always affects papers.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:28:26

Hurrah!! This is where I live!! grin

Brent and Harrow

Labour gain from Conservatives

Navin Shah (Lab) 57,760 (37.29%, +7.29%)
Bob Blackman (Con) 56,067 (36.20%, +2.21%)
James Allie (Lib Dem) 19,299 (12.46%, -5.24%)
Shahrar Ali (Green) 10,129 (6.54%, +0.60%)
Zena Sherman (CPA) 4,180 (2.70%, +0.37%)
Sunita Webb (Ukip) 3,021 (1.95%, -4.18%)
Pat McManus (Left List) 2,287 (1.48%)
Arvind Tailor (Eng Dem) 2,150 (1.39%)
Lab maj 1,693 (1.09%)
2.54% swing Con to Lab
Electorate 367,337; Turnout 154,893 (42.17%, +6.88%)

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:28:33

'He stands for hair and it's impact on global buffoonery' LOL

Surely he stands for a well-stocked tuck shop and ragging the master during prep

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:28:34

MP, dig out an old bottle of Leichner electric blue

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:29:25

Show me a politician who is not a megalomaniac (especially once they reach any position of power). It's the nature of the 'calling'. Ken's just more upfront about it.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:29:28

It's like people in Chingford wanting to be in Essex. Marvellous.

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:30:24

beansprout, where d'ya get the results from?

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:30:26

Pooka, I feel your pain
Bloody Garry Bushell lives down the road from us
They want to be in Kent so they can have green road signs and round up Trotskyites with pitchforks

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:30:49

That's the problem with Bromely. It's where Londoners who don't really like London live. I'm sure you're an exception though. [smille]

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:31:27

God bless Brent and Harrow.

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:32:05

Oh lucky you Beansprout! Think we have 52% for the tory guy. The bbc haven't bothered putting the other results up. Not much point really.

donnie Fri 02-May-08 21:32:14

am liking your posts bluewolf.

The seaside collapse incident was not good for Neil's PR!

Paul Dacre is a repugnant little Zionist who allegedly calls all his staff 'cunt' several times a day ( so says Christina Odone and she's cool). So no tears for him round this way..

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:32:55

Grauniad website (but of course!! grin)

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:33:51

nkf a large swathe of Bromley is also where public sector workers who can't afford Hackney, Southwark, Islington etc end up
Ditto Bexley "the brighter borough" apparently hmm

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:34:22

See I love London, thing being a Londoner is way preferable to being from Kent. My mother is the same (and makes full full use of the lovely freedom pass).

I have no choice about living here - was born here and DH has a local business 10mins away. But I did get away for 5 years of university.

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:34:55

oh an upfront megalomaniac. That's ok then!

not in my book it aint.

Where's MP? Has she passed out?

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 21:35:08

I love the way everyone is getting edgy about whether they live in london properly or not. Now it's Boris's manor we'll all be claining to live in Inner Kent

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:35:28

I think her battery died.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:35:32

her liver battery conked out foxy

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:36:05

Actually that's very true Marina. Is easy to forget.
Is Bexley really known as "the brighter borough"? Better than "Bromley, Clean and Green" I suppose.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:36:18

LOL Bluewolf. We already have that, it is called Gravesend.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:36:27

I shall live in a virtual London, a parallel universe London where no-one has ever heard of Boris.

I think I shall have another drink. Meant to be working but too miserable.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:36:29

I live in Ken's manor. No doubt he'll be up the library next week then.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:37:07

"Bromley, Clean and Green". Are you having a larf?

talilac Fri 02-May-08 21:37:28

In actual fact, I seem to remember I live in Middlesex not London at all.. I think we should have our own Mayor.

nancy75 Fri 02-May-08 21:37:43

donnie, can i ask you to clarify what you meant by
"Paul Dacre is a repugnant little Zionist "

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:37:46

LOL at MP and her battery. Took me a while to realise you meant laptop (where is my mind tonight).

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:37:49

Fraid so pooka. Whoever came up with that has clearly never spent quality time in Sidcup High St.
But I do love the fantastic open spaces across outer SE London (was also brought up here like you)

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:38:14

HURRAH for City and the East. (Not really a surprise, but I'm still glad I live here and can look people in the eye as I walk down the street)

Labour hold

John Biggs (Lab) 63,635 (34.69%, +5.59%)
Phil Briscoe (C) 32,082 (17.49%, -0.65%)
Hanif Abdulmuhit (Respect GG) 26,760 (14.59%)
Robert Bailey (BNP) 18,020 (9.82%)
Rajonuddin Jalal (LD) 13,724 (7.48%, -6.46%)
Heather Finlay (Green) 11,478 (6.26%, -0.38%)
Tom Conquest (CPA) 7,306 (3.98%, +0.57%)
Mick McGough (UKIP) 3,078 (1.68%, -12.07%)
Graham Kemp (NF) 2,350 (1.28%)
Michael Gavan (Left List) 2,274 (1.24%)
John Griffiths (Eng Dem) 2,048 (1.12%)
Julie Crawford (Ind) 701 (0.38%)
Lab maj 31,553 (17.20%)
3.12% swing C to Lab
Electorate 470,863; Turnout 183,456 (38.96%, +9.03%)

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:38:16

Why don't you all come and live in deep-blue Surrey with me. I voted Labour last night while on some mad nostalgia trip. My ballot paper probably finished off at least two of the elderly, blazered tellers.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:38:18
foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:38:49

so Ken wins 1 tpref

NE, City and East, Brent and Harrow

Boris 1st pref in

bexley and Bromley
havering and redbridge

MerryMarigold Fri 02-May-08 21:39:33

though that's a lot of George Galloway and BNP votes on closer inspection

policywonk Fri 02-May-08 21:39:59

Can I ask a shamefully basic question: is the mayoral vote going by constituency, or just plain old London-wide, vote-by-vote?

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:40:01

Perhaps Boris will bring back Middlesex?

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:40:14

Nope. Clean and green. Sounds a bit like betty ford's clean and serene.

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:40:55

We had to vote for the Mayor on one ballot paper and on another for the Assembly Members.

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:40:59

What is the appeal to anyone of George Galloway? Can someone explain? I know I live a rarefied life but in what world does a person think that man is suitable to be in power?

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 21:41:06

I see North East a Labour hold. Sigh. And I was votes for the only candidate who lost votes on last time (this is about par for the course). She did have mad hair hmm

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 21:41:25

was votes? voted

nkf Fri 02-May-08 21:41:27

Boris will probably bring back Ruritania.

EffiePerine Fri 02-May-08 21:42:19

nkf: the Galloway Love Bus passed our office the other day - glaring music, chap with megaphone - thunderstorm started and we were going misty eyed with the thought of a well-timed bolt of lightning

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:42:20

grin

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:42:23

no policy, we voted for the Mayor direct, plus also named London Assembly representative for our patch (am still reeling at news that the National Front came fourth in B & B shock), plus generic party vote for the PR element of the London Assembly

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:42:29

it's vote by vote but they are reporting the results by constituency I think

they had the total votes up (boris was ahead) but they took them off pretty quickly

one of the Ken problems is that the Tory strongholds normally have a greater turnout than the labour ones

bluewolf Fri 02-May-08 21:42:50

Love the sarcky 'Bromley clean and green' -Does anyone know the catchphrase/motto for lambeth where I currently reside. Maybe Boris will rewrite them all in his lovely latin once he is settled in the throne

staranise Fri 02-May-08 21:43:32

But if BJ has 1st pref in 8 constituencies and KL has six, and there's still a fifth of the vote to come in, doens't taht mean it's still pretty close?

^clutches at straws in lieu of being able to have a large G&T^

beansprout Fri 02-May-08 21:43:38

Lambeth - Cor, what a shit hole? grin

Or Brent - Guns and Posers?

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Fri 02-May-08 21:44:57

I'd hazard a guess that if he does rewrite your motto it may translate loosely as "Into the dust, proletarian rabble"

foxinsocks Fri 02-May-08 21:45:51

at the moment, Boris has 45%, ken has 41%

pooka Fri 02-May-08 21:46:10

Oh my god! The NF got more than 5% of votes in B&B. That is APPALLING.