Mil Millington - what kind of grown up does that to their hair?

(155 Posts)
filthymindedvixen Fri 20-Apr-07 19:36:23

Yeah tentypence, I kinda agree.

I will also join the ranks of wierdy's on here with a penchant for jon ronson and louis theroux. They fit in very well with my life list of floppy, confused young men i used to date who were actually not at all floppy and confused in the bedroom.

twentypence Fri 20-Apr-07 19:28:06

I actually like it - actually I think what I like most is the fact that he has a job where he can turn his hair bright red and it doesn't matter.

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:55:06

<bites>

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:48:11

<baits hook>

here fishy fishy

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:45:46

<bates breath>

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:45:09

OH hi Jan!

I have emailed you. Well, I am about to. Any minute now. Just need to ask you a quick Q

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:44:21

Top man Mr F&Z!

We are Navy-tastic. We live in quarters, DH's family are Navy, my sister is too... so apols if the odd bit of slang slips in. Don't be threaders

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:44:14

Ohhhh, chortle, sorry, the Admiral bit passed me right by.

(It's Janh <waves>)

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:41:23

Dp was going to join the navy but he met and moved in with me, instead

he completely aced the test

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:39:31

Oh right. Yes, he is! Hence "Admiral Lapin" (I have promoted him slightly as he was a little too low-ranking for a Viscountess).

He does look bloody lovely in uniform. Especially mess kit, with those short jacket... nice arse, phwoar...

WW, are you a changeur de nom?

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:39:27

Oh THAT'S why LL used a naval term at me the other day

I thought she was just being a bit giddy

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:36:44

M. Lapin is, isn't he? Or did I make that up?

You live in Portsmouth and know lots of sailors so he must be one, godammit!

I want brown bread ice cream, I will have to make it. Actually, I saw a recipe for brown bread semi freddo, should probably make that instead, less work.

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:35:32

WendyWeber, who is a sailor?

Ah, my father was a firefighter, butch jobs don't do it for me.

I generally, actually, personally, tend to date (relatively) femme men. I am butch enough for two, tbh. Lots of vegetarian exes.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:34:25

Ice cream with a machine and stirring

lots of stirring and grating tonight

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:34:08

real men make spotted dick

they don't faff with sorbet

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:34:03

...uniforms and stuff...saluting...

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:33:50

MP no

I was trying to point out that as well as being a mumbling butch Northerner with ear hair, he is also in touch with his feminine side

if I use anymore on this thread I think I may break it

WendyWeber Wed 18-Apr-07 21:33:41

Also he is a sailor, NQC - does that do it for you?

NotanOtter Wed 18-Apr-07 21:33:08

phwooar real men make puddings!

Does he make semifreddo? Or proper ice cream? With a machine? Or the stirring?

Gah, I made semi-freddo when we had that dinner party, and frightened the mad Irish woman who made her ex-boyf cook us tea, but it was Mexican food. I mean, come on. Irish Mexican food?!?! It was nice enough, but the refried beans were from a tin! My freezer is full of refried beans!

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:31:08

I can live with that

<snogs George-a-like>

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:30:25

hmm lemon ice cream not v. butch

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:30:02

VPL we do we do

but when you post a picture of G Clooney and say he looks like him we are all going to ostracise you, this is life

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:29:24

He is in the kitchen right now making lemon ice cream. He also makes exceedingly attractive children.

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:28:50

no-one cares about AdmiralLapin

Also, your DP knows how to fix bikes. It's very butch of him.

I do have some patience for the mumbly northern charm thing.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:24:24

If you lean in close you can see his ear hair

I wouldn't advise it

Northern blokes all mumble. I think it's a trick so you have to lean in really close. Or something.

I'm sure they don't all do that, I've just known a few who did.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:23:22

Yes mp you know

that mumbling northerner thing that everyone is so wild for

ViscountessPetitLapin Wed 18-Apr-07 21:23:14

Ooh ooh, my DH looks like a cross between this chap and (less impressively) this chap

NotanOtter Wed 18-Apr-07 21:23:12

i lurvve posy simmonds lulamama

LOUIS THEROUX however is a BORE in rl and loses all sex appeal when you meet him

Use References From International Culture Goddamn It! You local weirdos.

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:22:44

am lol @ gay mitchell brother

mumbling northerner "thing" ? hmm

Sobernow Wed 18-Apr-07 21:22:26

I'll tell him, thanks.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:21:40

"Mr Sober used to look like Bill Bailey, now he looks like a gay Mitchell brother"

that's working for me

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:21:12

<guffaw> you have summed him up there

Mr Greeny has very nice eyes as well

and he puts up with Greeny

Sobernow Wed 18-Apr-07 21:21:00

Mr Sober used to look like Bill Bailey, now he looks like a gay Mitchell brother.

Mr Franny has a sly charm about him. He's got that mumbly northerner thing going on.

And Mr Greeny has nice hair.

I don't think I know who Ray Winstone is . Looked at him on imdb, he looks rugged, which is a popular look, isn't it?

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:18:00

I think Sobernow means Mil Millington

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:17:29

Mr HC is very handsome too

it is Mr Greeny and Mr Franny who are more for the niche market IMO

Oh, yes, he writes. I'm not a fan of his writing, tbh. It seemed overdone. Like Oscar Wilde on steroids.

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:16:14

no no he is HILARIOUS

mh DH looks like a pocket-sized Ray Winston

that's not really in demand, is it?

Shall I practice leering at Mr HC? Or do I have to do it in person?

No no, he's not taller than Stephen Fry, I've looked it up, Stephen Fry is 6'4.5". DH is 0.5" shorter than Stephen Fry.

Sobernow Wed 18-Apr-07 21:15:09

I think he overwrites really badly. He's like Adrian Mole, be honest.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:14:20

HC is about, shall we get her to come and say nice things about our spouses?

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:13:55

Hmm your DH really DOES sound tasty

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 21:13:42

He is like a handsomer, taller, less annoying Stephen Fry, yes

He's not a famous actor, like Stephen Fry, obviously. Probably not as funny? I'm not sure Fry is funny, recreationally. Does have a similar accent though.

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 21:06:53

Hmm I quite fancy Stephen Fry

Obviously he'd be a bit of a challenge though

I think he looks rather a lot more like Stephen Fry. Although less gay. Obviously.

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:50:36

(well he kind of has that floppy haired I am charming and harmless thing going on)

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:50:07

We have said a bit MP

NQC's is v v tall and looks like Louis Theroux

morningpaper Wed 18-Apr-07 20:49:12

Excuse me but all this leering is a bit mean if you are not going to SHARE what your DH's look like

We saw Malory's on YouTube and he was quite tasty

hmm have a feeling I might have spelt YouTube wrong on account of being old and decrepit

You'd be surprised how many men are frightened by me, even without me doing much about it.

Oooh, I once terrified a traffic warden, sexually, by accident. I can scare anyone!

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:47:07

Hmm not sure

Greeny's dh does have that rabbit caught in headlights look from time to time

HC's dh copes with her ffs

he is not going to be thrown by a big ol bald Canadian lady giving him the up and down

So whose husband am I meant to be leering at then? Is Greeny leering at harpsis and I need to leer at Greeny's? Or do I have to leer at harpsi's? He looks easier to frighten than Greeny's, probably ...

Wouldn't calling you normal be an insult to you?

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:29:23

LOLOL

are you trying to say HC and I are not NORMAL??

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:28:59

No I might have slipped her a fiver

I don't remember, but that's nothing new...

<<ponders starting thread about whether it's normal for english women to go around menacingly leering at each other's husbands and cackling about it>>

You were there at the time! I don't remember you trying to punch her. :-P

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:25:18

DID she?? [alarmed]

or maybe just [amused]

Or is the point to alarm the partner in question? I've seen harpsi do it to your DP, too.

Hmmm, I think I really don't understand this aggressive leering thing ... it is gay chicken, really, isn't it?

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 20:21:37

What would be the fun in leering at my own spouse?

<confusion>

Well, from his writing, it sounds like his DP likes the squabbling. I don't think I could cope with living with someone who wrote professionally about our squabbling (or, tbh, someone who enjoyed squabbling quite as much as he seems to), but I expect it works for them.

Frances, you get a gold star for lecherous effort, so early in the morning. Why aren't you off frightening your DP at this hour, if you can work up that much energy?

anorak Wed 18-Apr-07 08:13:35

Question: what kind of grown up does that to their hair?

Answer: No kind of grown up.

Mil Millington = overgrown schoolboy.

Very funny writer but not someone you could seriously live with, surely?

FrannyandZooey Wed 18-Apr-07 07:53:14

No no I didn't assume that's why you were with him. I am sure he has many other advantages [leer]

no sorry can't quite manage it this early in the morning

Ooooh, the mullet! Business at the front, party at the back! Sexy!

It is, isn't it.

I am just largely indifferent to the whole height thing.

Suddenly I am understanding my old work colleague who was dating a woman with freakishly large breasts (on a tiny tiny frame, it was a wonder she could didn't fall over) and was fed up of people assuming that was her appeal to him.

Well, except this is less offensive.

WendyWeber Tue 17-Apr-07 22:16:26

He used to have a brown mullet - I found the pics yesterday but can't now. The red is probably preferable.

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 22:14:08

well that is a ruddy waste isn't it

Ah, you like the height thing. It does very little for me, strangely enough. I mean, it's nice enough, but I don't get giddy about it.

fairyfly Tue 17-Apr-07 22:09:50

One with his own mind, one not trying to conform, one who knows he can do what the fuck he wants with his hair as at the end of the day it means sod all?

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 22:06:36

Ooh get you with your fancy Gay Chicken metaphors

I will tell you one thing and this is no joke:

there are not many men who are really that much taller than me that I have to actually look up at them

having to look right up to talk to MrNQC makes me feel exceedingly girly and skittish

bang goes 100 years of feminism

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 22:04:23

gay chicken ahahahahhaahaha

new to me, very funny

I meant it metaphorically. Surely you can play straight chicken, too?

beansprout Tue 17-Apr-07 22:02:48

So you don't play gay chicken then?

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 22:02:11

NQC

I am sorry to have to point this out but DH and I are NOT THE SAME SEX

apologies if this has come as a shock to you

MrNQC? Mil Millington? Jon Ronson? Louis Theroux? The Gay Chicken?

Seriously, if it's Mil Millington, there's a link below.

Ponce Tue 17-Apr-07 21:59:45

who is he?

(I too think you are playing Gay Chicken, I don't think you are pining for Mr NQC.)

He reads MN, so he sees the comments. And if he didn't, I'd tell him, because he believes nobody ever fancies him, ever.

Gay Chicken . It happened on Scrubs.

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 21:57:22

I always go to bed at a decent hour. And I have never made advances to him. Unless you count third hand compliments via his wife as making advances to him?

(WTF is Gay Chicken?)

Mr NQC also adds: if he was going to have an affair, he'd have an affair with someone who wasn't on MN, so it would be someone who went to bed at a decent hour. (He clarifies: he isn't at all likely to have an affair.)

Um, it's not Mr NQC who's an evil lecherous etc. At least not as far as I know - just the Barefoot Doctor.

I was so so happy when it turned out he was a lecherous evil self-justifying charlatan. Does that make me evil?

Oh now, he's saying he's impervious to your advances, as he is still deaf from the drumming party. He says you'll have to move on to sign language and actual assault for him to notice.

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 21:53:14

ah well, NQC, hating the barefoot doctor is really just due to a lack of kidney or qi energy.

it was always the sodding kidney energy...

Apparently he doesn't get Very Frightened Indeed. He claims he was Confused.

I have explained that you are merely playing Gay Chicken, and he's become much more comfortable.

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 21:51:02

"he sometimes briefly thinks you are and gets Very Frightened Indeed"

oh dear. I don't know whether to be insulted or ashamed. Shall I stop?

I am also offended that my liking for J Ronson doesn't make Aitch think I am less funny. The inferences I am drawing from that range from Bad to Really Very Bad

I can stand those, and even sorta like American Psyche and Love By Numbers. Oh, I used to hate Barefoot Doctor, too.

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 21:36:56

A lot of the new columns are v. annoying

I hate the American Psyche, This Column Will Make you Happier, Love By Numbers, What MEn Don't Know About Women

Basically I just read Ronson and look at the gardening pages

I read the (weekend) Guardian/Observer religiously, so when I don't enjoy a columnist, I really can grow to hate them. So far it's just Ronson and that Ewan something bloke, but boy do I hate them.

Frances, MrNQC sincerely refuses to believe you are leering at him, by the way. As is his wont.

Well, he sometimes briefly thinks you are and gets Very Frightened Indeed.

(Oh, DS1 kept calling the mad Irish stalker friend/employee type person 'Frances' and said you two were much alike. I think he's just going by hair colour, though?)

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 21:27:14

he would be nice on the end of a key ring

you could press his head and he would say something funny

Nightynight Tue 17-Apr-07 21:27:03

this shade of dyed hair was really popular a couple of years ago in north germany and parts of france.
I havent seen so much of it lately, but that may be because I moved.

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 21:25:53

you can get pets put down, can't you?

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 21:22:22

oh no

I do like his though

he would make a lovely pet

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 21:17:18

morningpaper, your affection for weedy wonson is making me find you less funny...

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 21:15:03

I have all his books

I have several copies of them in fact because eveyrone knows I love him so they are always sending me his books

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 21:14:22

Oh yes I love Ronson's investigative pieces

He is FABULOUS and I love love love love him

I loved the McKenna article

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 21:10:35

i once wrote a letter of complaint to Time Out when they replaced the god-like Victor Lewis-Smith with Ronson. so i've loathed him for near enough twenty years, now. [sigh]

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 21:06:02

I only read the Guardian about once a month, so I still find it funny

I have enjoyed him for over 10 years now I think

peanutbutter Tue 17-Apr-07 21:04:38

I used to find Ronson funny too but find his Guardian column very irritating.

I'd also gone from loving Louis to finding him smug and mocking in a not altogether amusing way until I watched his latest documentary about The Most Hated Family in America, and found him to be offering a mature, sympathetic and balanced view of this group of people, and he redeemed himself in my eyes.

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 21:04:14

i think he thinks that he's sending himself up, certainly. but i don't enjoy the send-up.

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 21:02:52

I think a large portion of his stuff is sending himself up

I find it very funny indeed and I particularly loved "Them"

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 20:59:24

he is better when he gets his teeth into something, but he also pissed me off with that Paul McKenna piece. basically said 'it's all shite' then got hypnotised in the last par and decided that maybe it wasn't shite after all...

FrannyandZooey Tue 17-Apr-07 20:57:49

I think Ronson is very funny indeed

Mil Millington is odd and annoying and that hair would look ok on someone who wasn't an odd annoying oddball

Louis Theroux is just DIVINE and he can pretend to be floppy and confused around here any time he likes

in fact NQC's dh has more than a touch of the Louis Therouxs about him (thought I had not leered wildly at your dh for a little while, NQC)

Yeah, I've read Ronson's Bilderberg stuff ... is that the same book with the man who hypnotised goats? I liked that book. DH has since bought me another book by him, I think, but I've gone off him thanks to his mindbogglingly annoying column in the Guardian or Observer.

LoveMyGirls Tue 17-Apr-07 20:49:51

Just been reading, my dp could have written that, we dont argue though its just the way things are, we have decided unless we're leaving each other over it, its not worth arguing about.

beansprout Tue 17-Apr-07 20:18:29

Louis is yum and lives round 'ere. Phwoar.

Wonson is very unattractive but I like his line in weird. He did seeking out weird (e.g. Bilderberg Group) much, much better than he does whiny and neurotic.

WendyWeber Tue 17-Apr-07 20:12:07
WendyWeber Tue 17-Apr-07 20:11:10

Well he looks like this and has a v v funny website called things my girlfriend and i have argued about (which used to be a column in the Guardian) and it is just an extremely good and witty writer.

Will find bin lid for you as an example.

trillium Tue 17-Apr-07 20:04:02

Who the hell is Mil Millington?

Ah, I find his vague confused floppy thing totally unconvincing. But I still find him attractive.

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 19:57:22

i try not to fancy him because his lanky pop culture roll neck sweatered intellectual thing is so obvious. but i can't help it. i fancy him.

morningpaper Tue 17-Apr-07 19:15:14

I fancy Louis

A LOT

lulumama Tue 17-Apr-07 18:37:19

<<waves at fellow posy simmonds fan !!>>

WendyWeber Tue 17-Apr-07 18:33:41

(janh btw - this is the new me )

WendyWeber Tue 17-Apr-07 18:30:33

No, I adore Louis (don't fancy him though)

Those of us who hate Jon Ronson, do we hate Louis Theroux too? (I don't, I semi fancy him ...)

Dinosaur Tue 17-Apr-07 16:44:19

Morningpaper - there is no comparison between you and the terminally unfunny Jon Ronson! My dear girl, how could you even mention yourself in the same post as him!

AitchTwoOh Tue 17-Apr-07 16:40:49

he wrote a piece once about going back home to confront the bullies who threw him in the pond in his local park. he was expecting them to have some sort of epiphany and apologise now that he was a Famous Writer but you could tell they were just itching to grab him and dunk him again, the whiny little sod.

I just want to find him and throw him in the river or something. I feel so badly for his wife (Ronson's I mean). He just sounds like the worst person in the world to be married to. Although, to be fair, I expect she knew what she was getting.

UnquietDad Mon 16-Apr-07 23:39:27

With Jon Ronson I always think "the people you are describing are surely going to READ your column?" Especially when he does those "to be continued" ones.

emsiewill Mon 16-Apr-07 23:31:20

I loved Mil's books - embarrassed myself by lol-ing when reading them on the train.

Find Ronson's neurotic act too annoying.

Love Jane Goldman, and love the way JR talks about her.

UnquietDad Mon 16-Apr-07 22:57:31

morningpaper I was going to say "one with too much time on his hands" and then I saw you'd got there first.

Who said Jane Goldman? Big dirty woman. Love 'er.

Janh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:39:02

Actually as Ronson is barely funny at all you are a billion times funnier, mp

(Not than Mil though - oh dear me no)

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:37:41

i laughed at the bin lid as well, jan. morningpaper, you are 46 times funnier than wonson. i've counted.

Janh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:34:35

Have we had a link to the gadgets column on Sat? I loved the bin lid

morningpaper Mon 16-Apr-07 20:33:31

Actually I think that he might be my alter-ego

I find myself worrying in a paranoid way that he might be funnier than me

sometimes I think I should join the talkboards on his website so I can demonstrate that I am actually funnier than him

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:31:49

the thing about Jon Wonson, morningpaper, is that i strongly supect that he would love to live in your pocket. the creepy little freak.

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:29:18

gwan then, get it started. i'll begin collating the Longest List in the World.

littlelapin Mon 16-Apr-07 20:27:43

Aitch, have you been drinking!?

Yes, on here, you silly letter! Good thread title - "Things my DP and I have argued about"

Mil Millington is hot, yes, silly hair and all. Jon Ronson is mind-bogglingly unattractive.

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:14:17

oh i see. her as in MN. not his own site. cos that would be weird.

moopymoo Mon 16-Apr-07 20:13:32

jane goldman v cool and sexy big lady. maybe red hair way to go

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:13:14

ll, that is his site. you did know that, yes? [confused]
his hair is awful, it's too pale and makes his skin look awful. however he is Funny As Fuck and therefore is on my list. Jon Wonson, on the other hand... wetter than water. utterly wepellent.

Janh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:11:01

Do you get the emails, rabbit?

moopymoo Mon 16-Apr-07 20:10:31

i know hes a bit creepy but sometimes needy gets me going! ..acutally have history of useless overeducated neurotic partners (pre dh of course )

morningpaper Mon 16-Apr-07 20:10:08

Jon Ronson really IS very very funny but he is SOOOO unmanly I could not fancy him

He IS very funny though, I would like to keep him in my pocket

serenity Mon 16-Apr-07 20:09:23

His boys probably hate it, but I quite like it - I always wanted hair like Jane Goldman, but haven't got the nerve anymore

littlelapin Mon 16-Apr-07 20:09:17
Janh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:08:24

Oh yuck - I sort of fancy Mil because he is very very funny but Ronson creeps me out <shudder>

moopymoo Mon 16-Apr-07 20:07:47

i sneakily fancy him. hangover from my flirting with punk/goth in the early 90s! also he very brainy. ditto jon ronson

Janh Mon 16-Apr-07 20:07:35

He has 2 kids, and a demented German girlfriend. I think he's great, despite the pink (?) hair.

Carmenere Mon 16-Apr-07 20:06:39

Oh I thought in that piece in the Guardian on sat he mentioned dc's. I could be totally wrong though.

morningpaper Mon 16-Apr-07 20:05:36

Does he have children? I wasn't sure

I always think he sounds like a man with too much time on his hands so assume he doesn't have children

Carmenere Mon 16-Apr-07 20:04:24

I know it is shocking, his dc's must be mortified.

morningpaper Mon 16-Apr-07 19:56:33

I mean it's REALLY red

It's terrible

What is he THINKING?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now