Nazi Salute

(14 Posts)
PinkIsRad Tue 22-Nov-16 23:06:03

www.facebook.com/TheAtlantic/videos/10154823525748487/

Have people seen this video? This is crazy! I feel at a loss, how is this going on in the world? I visited some of the sites associated with this group, and I wonder how we have come to this, again, really.

Giveusawobble Tue 22-Nov-16 23:12:14

This shit has existed forever. It's 200 pathetic blokes in a room somewhere wanking over how powerful they are, followed by several 100 FB comments denouncing them.

Don't give them the credence they haven't earnt.

PinkIsRad Tue 22-Nov-16 23:16:16

Yes but Trump apparently just gave a position to one of these guys! I have also read examples of material these people post, it's often horrendously misogynistic. Are you sure just ignoring things like this is wise?

NameChanger22 Tue 22-Nov-16 23:20:04

Giveusawobble. It's 200 pathetic blokes in a room somewhere wanking over how powerful they are. Plus millions and millions of angry arrogant men around the world destroying everything for everyone. Don't forget that bit.

Giveusawobble Tue 22-Nov-16 23:27:46

I don't think ignoring the growing issue of xenophobia is wise no.

I also don't think bumping up their Video views is wise either.

I won't take them seriously. They are a waste of human space. They don't get to have my interest or my fear.

Working in the right way on those feeling dispossessed in the middle ground is far more constructive.

There aren't millions and millions of angry men feeling the same extremist feelings these men are and by saying that is what won the vote you force the middle ground further to them.

People have legitimate concerns over immigration etc. They voted because no one was listening not because they are in a room doing hitler salutes.

CoolCarrie Wed 23-Nov-16 13:59:04

Isn't just men, it is women too. Look at the groups of women beating & arresting women for not being modest enough in the choice of clothing or covering their faces. Don't blame the state of the world at the moment totally on men, that is ridiculous!

scatterolight Wed 23-Nov-16 17:01:04

Stop reading the hysterical media. Trump did not give a position "to one of these guys". Steve Bannon, who is presumably who you are referring to, was editor of Breitbart and is nothing to do with the alt right.

The alt-right has clear aims and beliefs - they are separatists and want an ethno-state for white people, aka as white nationalist. Trump and Bannon are civic nationalists - your ethnicity is irrelevant, what matters is that you sign up to the concept of putting "America First".

People in the alt-right will naturally sometimes support the policies of civic nationalists where their interests collide. Alt rightists would also support some of the things written in the Daily Mail for example but that doesn't make Peter Hitchens or Melanie Phillips alt right.

toomanypetals Wed 23-Nov-16 19:21:27

Utter Newspeak Scatterolight. Have you read Breitbart?

NameChanger22 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:25:48

CoolCarie - but I do blame the state of the world mostly on men. Just watch the news for a couple of weeks and tell me how many women criminals, murderers and terrorists you spot. 95% of criminals are men. Some people are starting to wake up and admit the uncomfortable truth. Until we do that we won't be able to do anything about it.

scatterolight Wed 23-Nov-16 19:55:56

toomanypetals My post was very clear. Neither Bannon, nor Breitbart, have espoused white nationalist views which are crucial to being considered part of the alt right.

You may want to put them in that box but all you achieve is making the alt right far larger and more influential than it is.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 23-Nov-16 20:34:28

"We're the platform for the alt-right," Bannon told me proudly when I interviewed him at the Republican National Convention (RNC) in July:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/stephen-bannon-donald-trump-alt-right-breitbart-news

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 23-Nov-16 20:36:03

I have seen it said that using alt-right for neo Nazis is the same as using alt-cells for cancer. Call them what they are.

scatterolight Wed 23-Nov-16 20:57:16

BigChoc - What that article shows is that Bannon himself doesn't know what the alt right is. It's comical to deny, as he does, that it is white nationalist, anti semitic and anti homosexual. It is fundamentally all of these things. I hope for the sake of the US administration that he is more informed on policy than he is on the nature of the alt right.

PinkIsRad Thu 24-Nov-16 21:53:40

scatterolight - have you read Breitbart? It's...toxic. And yes, it may not be as white spupremacist as that video, but it is still home of the alt-right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now