BBC News

(17 Posts)
ExitPursuedBySpartacus Tue 06-Sep-16 22:20:07

Just wondering why the first 10 minutes of tonight's news was given over to gun crime in Chicago. I realise it must be shit. But America allows guns.

There are many other pressing concerns.

magimedi Tue 06-Sep-16 23:18:57

I was also puzzled, Exit.

theclick Tue 06-Sep-16 23:20:22

DH commented on the same! We didn't understand it at all - not because it's not an important issue but 10 o clock news is usually news of the day

PausingFlatly Tue 06-Sep-16 23:26:07

Wonder if they had to drop the planned lead at the last minute? And filled with what was ready.

LurkingHusband Wed 07-Sep-16 10:50:13

What were they hiding "below the fold" ?

redshoeblueshoe Wed 07-Sep-16 11:06:03

Oh I do like a good conspiracy.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Thu 15-Sep-16 08:16:26

Has anyone heard of the Hanjin Line?

Probably not... and certainly there has not been anything about them on the Beeb... They were the seventh largest shipping company in the world with a massive port in S Korea. The bit about "were" is because they have just gone bankrupt. Milions of tonnes of goods are stuck in transit. Which means they won't get delivered in time for christmas.

The shock waves are being described in terms of Leahman Brothers by industry analysts.

PausingFlatly Thu 15-Sep-16 08:25:52

Hanjin story on the Beeb

PausingFlatly Thu 15-Sep-16 08:26:47

It's actually worthy of a thread in itself - not least because there are crew trapped on the ships which are being refused permission to dock.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Thu 15-Sep-16 13:40:45

DH told me about Hanjin - he read about it in the Business Section of the Telegraph.

megletthesecond Thu 15-Sep-16 13:47:43

I wonder this too. Seemed like it wasn't quite a headline story but they had to use it. It was more of a newsnight piece.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 15-Sep-16 13:49:46

Tbf the day before it was full of Bake Off - that's not exactly hard hitting news!

FarAwayHills Thu 15-Sep-16 19:29:18

DH and I wondered about this. It was rather odd and not really news.

Was this around the same time as the North Koreas nuclear test?

BakewellTartAgain Thu 15-Sep-16 22:17:02

I have given up on BBC news. I did see the Hanjin story (somewhere) and thought it looked rather serious.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 07:57:46

Pausing,
I never heard anything on the headlines .. and I listen to the beeb news every day. Seems the beeb was more interested in the Archers and bake off than something that will have a profound effect on the world...

What a lovely world the beeb occupies...

PausingFlatly Fri 16-Sep-16 09:00:37

Have you started a Hanjin thread, PPB?

Since, as you say, it's very important?

(I won't start one myself as I'm nature's own thread killer.)

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 09:10:00

No ... for the same reason...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now