Murder-suicide in Ireland last week - the invisible woman

(13 Posts)
Dontfencemein Mon 05-Sep-16 18:19:05

This news story will soon fade out of sight, if it hasn't already done so. This article is well worth a read. Bless her soul and those of her children.

guardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/sep/01/how-a-murdered-woman-became-invisible-in-the-coverage-of-her-death

Or google "Her name was Clodagh"

yougetme Mon 05-Sep-16 18:21:40

I think the link got a but cut off there
Here it is - its worth reading

sonlypuppyfat Mon 05-Sep-16 18:29:20

What an awful sad story, it's like she was nothing, is that all we are?

ImperialBlether Mon 05-Sep-16 18:50:40

It was so upsetting. Everyone was talked about in relation to him. Even her own mother became 'his mother in law'. And then for him to be buried with them all after stabbing them to death - that was very, very distressing. The Irish custom of burying the dead very quickly might mean the wrong decision was made there.

Whenever something like this happens I wonder whether the woman involved had been on here, trying to get strangers to help her deal with a violent man.

PausingFlatly Mon 05-Sep-16 18:54:38

Fixed link (I hope):
www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/sep/01/how-a-murdered-woman-became-invisible-in-the-coverage-of-her-death

PausingFlatly Mon 05-Sep-16 19:00:39

Just noticed yougetme also linked.

(It's a reprint of Linnea Dunne's piece: Rest in peace, invisible woman. It's extremely worth reading, so I won't apologise for linking twice.)

nemno Mon 05-Sep-16 19:04:47

In the first news I read I assumed she must have done it as the comments were all about how great he and the kids were. Totally bonkers coverage.

ImperialBlether Mon 05-Sep-16 19:27:41

Everyone kept saying what a great man he was. Now I know it must have been a huge, huge shock to everyone but could someone not have said what a great woman she was, what great children they were?

TulipsInAJug Mon 05-Sep-16 19:35:37

There are two good threads on this, one in Craicnet and one in Feminism. Sorry can't link, am on phone.

But yeah the narrative emanating from this is all about what a brilliant dad he was, what a great pillar of the community and church, and how sad that he committed suicide. All about him.

Very little about the fact that he murdered his family.

And Clodagh has been as good as erased.

Very sobering event in many ways.

Dontfencemein Mon 05-Sep-16 20:09:52

Sorry for dodgy link and thanks PausingFlatly and Yougetme for fixing it.

SlimCheesy2 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:22:54

I am so glad you posted this. And very glad the Guardian have reposted the blog post. It is important.

Ledkr Wed 07-Sep-16 11:55:13

This is so awful.

What can we do to get this changed and make sure victims are represented properly.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 17-Sep-16 13:33:21

Another very good article about this here: granta.com/he-had-his-reasons/.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now