Had no idea that NI is behind both UK and Ireland

(13 Posts)
Pebbles16 Tue 02-Aug-16 20:54:10

So Ruth Davidson has been campaigning today (still not entirely convinced she's a Tory, she seems so sensible) in same sex marriage in NI. Can anyone explain why NI is so behind in legislation? I sort of understand the abortion laws (although could not agree with them less) given the Ireland relationship, but same sex marriage? The Repiblic voted, it's law. Is Ulster just the place of reductive law? (Not in any way meant to be rude about Northern Irish politics and law, just confused)

WipsGlitter Tue 02-Aug-16 21:03:47

What do you mean the "Ireland relationship"? They're separate jurisdictions.

However to answer your question, yes it is a very morally conservative society where the biggest party is linked closely to extreme (in my opinion) religious views re homosexuality, creation, abortion etc. However the smaller parties aren't much better. There are also very vocal spokespeople for these views who get too much a lot of airtime.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 03-Aug-16 11:50:58

The DUP are determined to try and keep NI in some kind of conservative 1950s time warp. Their views on homosexuality are backward to say the least. 'Offensive' would be more accurate.

Jackie0 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:54:13

It's mad isn't it?
Somehow the flipping DUP still get voted in.

quicklydecides Wed 03-Aug-16 11:56:36

Ha ha, love that Ireland is getting the blame for the mad prods....

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 03-Aug-16 11:57:36

I'm sure (or fairly confident at least) if it was put to popular vote NI would vote for equal marriage but the religious conservatives are the ones in the driving seat. And yes, people are voting for them!

supersoftcuddlytoys Wed 03-Aug-16 12:14:16

If Sinn Fein want something then the DUP will fight tooth and nail to oppose/block it - regardless - pretty much! That's my reading of it all anyway.

You have to give things time - remember, some people these two political parties represented were were bombing and shooting each other not so long ago. Also the motion was struck down by a margin of just five votes.

I read - 'Amnesty International has warned that should Northern Ireland remain the only part of British jurisdiction to withhold gay marriage legislation, it may well face a legal challenge on the issue.'

wigglesrock Wed 03-Aug-16 12:45:08

Same sex marriage bill has to be passed by the Stormont Executive - the NI government. It has been defeated three times - on the last vote it was passed by 4 votes. The DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) then raised a petition of concern (this is unique to NI, this is a checks and balance framework for want of a better phrase, it's used to ensure cross community support for a Bill. It was meant to be used to stop one community passing bills that the other community would be fundamentally opposed to ie Sinn Fein used it to stop the DUP flying the Union flag 365 days a year over Stormont). The DUP raised a petition of concern because they believe same sex marriage goes against their Christian beliefs. It has fuck all to do with the Republic of Ireland.

BBC Newsline website has loads of good info.

mathsmum314 Wed 03-Aug-16 19:47:37

Your not understanding, N.I. it is not a democracy like England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland.

In N.I. (for historical reasons) there is an enforced coalition. It is irrelevant having a majority. So an issue like abortion, same sex marriage etc which might have a majority support in the population, can be blocked because all parties dont agree.

If we had the same system of government in England we would never had got same sex marriage. You might call it backward but N.I. is battling a lot of historical problems. So far they are lucky to even have an assembly (parliament) they are not yet able to have a 'normal' political system.

Pangurban1 Thu 04-Aug-16 13:09:49

When you say the Ireland relationship, do you mean that nigh on half the population are roughly/theoretically equating to (Irish) Catholicism views on abortion? I think a lot of cultural Catholics are fairly post Catholic in terms of what they feel they have to follow.

The barrier is the DUP. Quite a few of them are Young Earth Creationists. Expertise on geology and all sorts of science as dictated by the Bible. They are quite big on the old testament and literal proclamations by a god therein. Fundamentalism really.

A survey carried out at the DUP annual conference found that 40% believed that Creationism should be taught in Science class.

"Creationism is the belief that the world, animals and plants were created "by a supernatural being less than 10,000 years ago".

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/party-conference-teach-creationism-in-science-class-40-of-dup-29781222.html

The old testament's proclamation on homosexuality would be informing this current barrier by the DUP.

A reminder of Iris Robinson, DUP in the commons and saying homosexuality is on a par with child abuse.

"Speaking about community concerns over sex offenders Mrs Robinson then stated: “There can be no viler act, apart from homosexuality and sodomy, than sexually abusing innocent children.”

She later said "What I say I base on biblical pronouncements, based on God’s word. I am amazed that people are surprised when I quote from scriptures."

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/iris-robinson-gays-are-more-vile-than-child-abusers-28529856.html

What does the bible say about adultery, Iris? Since she is so keen on it and all. The bible, that is.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241545/MP-Iris-Robinson-60-affair-19-year-old-toyboy.html.

Pangurban1 Thu 04-Aug-16 13:12:30

So, looking at that Iris said that homosexuality was more vile than child abuse.

Something between two consenting adults without harming anyone else.

Rainuntilseptember Fri 12-Aug-16 11:17:52

NI can't be "behind" the Uk as it is in the UK.
Didn't the first civil partnership in the UK take place in NI? I suppose they find that (the civil part) easier to swallow than something that (in their view) alters the biblical definition of marriage.
(I am using "they" here to refer to people blocking equal marriage, not the population in general!)

Eve Fri 12-Aug-16 11:22:15

Iris Robinson is typical of the politics in NI and main reason I left the county - double standards, judgemental and a do as I say not as I do culture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now