Chickenpox

(25 Posts)
bubblemcgubble Tue 02-Aug-16 12:31:01

Has anyone seen this?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-36952432

Poor poor little boy. I don't understand why chickenpox is not taken seriously and part of the immunisation programme.

Just over a year ago, my son had a stroke as a direct consequence of chickenpox. He had no other health problems and collapsed suddenly at home 5 months post chickenpox. It isn't just another run-of-the-mill childhood illness - it can have serious consequences. Other countries offer the vaccine as part of their routine vaccination programme. I hope the petition that this mum has started really takes off.

welshweasel Tue 02-Aug-16 12:33:50

It's bizarre. I've always planned to get DS vaccinated when he's old enough but I'm lucky that I can afford to do so. That said, the NHS has limited resources and vost effectiveness has to be taken into account.

bubblemcgubble Tue 02-Aug-16 12:43:23

I completely understand the limited resources argument, but although rare, children who have strokes as a cause of chickenpox are in themselves a lifelong financial burden to the NHS with medication, and rehabilitation.

I just think it's time the government re-think it's funding - other countries believe it should be a part of the routine immunisation programme and the World Health Organisation state the CP immunisation is part of the essential medicine list.

BluePitchFork Tue 02-Aug-16 12:56:06

if you take into account that someone needs to stay home for about a week, even with a mildly affected child with cp...
would nhs pay the bill of lost income of the parent?

cdtaylornats Tue 02-Aug-16 22:41:00

It's not resources - from the NHS website

Why isn't the chickenpox vaccination part of the routine childhood immunisation schedule?

There's a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults.

While chickenpox during childhood is unpleasant, the vast majority of children recover quickly and easily. In adults, chickenpox is more severe and the risk of complications increases with age.

If a childhood chickenpox vaccination programme was introduced, people would not catch chickenpox as children because the infection would no longer circulate in areas where the majority of children had been vaccinated.

This would leave unvaccinated children susceptible to contracting chickenpox as adults, when they are more likely to develop a more severe infection or a secondary complication, or in pregnancy, when there is a risk of the infection harming the baby.

We could also see a significant increase in cases of shingles in adults. Being exposed to chickenpox as an adult – for example, through contact with infected children – boosts your immunity to shingles.

If you vaccinate children against chickenpox, you lose this natural boosting, so immunity in adults will drop and more shingles cases will occur.

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 06:47:31

Having read some papers on this, I understand shingles would increase in the short term then decrease again. Of course one of the options then would be to offer a vaccine to the over 60s too at the same time as the children but costs more again.

I belong to a childhood stroke group and there about 60% of the group have children who had a stroke as a direct consequence of chickenpox. I didn't know it was a possibility, none of us did. I wish I could have made a more informed decision about the vaccination. I had no idea chickenpox could have life changing consequences.

flumpybear Wed 03-Aug-16 06:59:56

Immunisation programme would increase the risk of people getting it when they're older which is more dangerous than getting it as a child as there will be the anti-vax people, those who cannot be vaccinated because of various reasons and they won't be coming into contact as
Readily as they do now
Also it's very dangerous for pregnant mums to contract it so it's better the world has it at an early years age rather than pushing that age upwards
I did see that boy briefly on telly and it's awful but doesn't happen regularly. One if my children had it at 4 and was really affected , the other was 1 and he only had a
Sprinkling of spots plus a few angry patches of spots .... Most don't react that badly

DiggersRest Wed 03-Aug-16 07:08:29

What a load of tosh..a lot of countries are vaccinating but in the UK there is a worry it could increase adult cases. A worry and may.

Not really strong enough arguments imo. Dd1 has been vaccinated and dd2 will be done when she's old enough.

Fuck the NHS trying to save a quid.

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 07:14:59

I do wonder if the USA have been vaccinating since 1995 what has happened to shingles there? Surely if it had been disastrous that after 22 years they would have discontinued it as part of theit routine vaccination programme.

flumpybear Wed 03-Aug-16 07:37:37

Diggers you do realise it's the government trying to save money not the NHS! The NHS are broke -
Completely broke because of the lack of support from the government
Chicken pox is AWFUL as an adult - not unlike what that poor boy went through

BluePitchFork Wed 03-Aug-16 07:39:30

how is staying home, not able to work saving the government money?

DiggersRest Wed 03-Aug-16 07:56:15

Of course l know that flumpy. And this shit 'it's worse as an adult'. I've known adults have mild cases and children have severe case. My dn at 9 months was extremely sick with CP. It's a preventable illness!

So maybe they could look at encouraging people to immunise their dc instead of this propaganda crap of oh it's not so bad having it as a child.

BluePitchFork Wed 03-Aug-16 08:02:42

and I really hope bubble that your dc is doing well and has a healthy future.

Satsunday Wed 03-Aug-16 10:17:27

I have had both my dcs vaccinated. So glad I don't have to worry about when they might get it and how they might cope with it. My eldest has an underlying medical condition so it was the main reason we did it, however I would have wanted her to have it even without that.

Hope your DC is doing well bubble. I'm going to pm you as interested in the group you mentioned.

CottonSock Wed 03-Aug-16 10:23:12

Think I will vaccinate too. My first dd suffered so badly. That's if second dd doesn't catch it before 12 months

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 10:55:09

So maybe they could look at encouraging people to immunise their dc instead of this propaganda crap of oh it's not so bad having it as a child.

wholeheartedly agree. If only it was more widely publicised the true risk of chickenpox then I think everyone could make a more informed choice.

Thank you blue that's much appreciated, he continues to do well. He still has left sided weakness, and we won't truly know if or how much the stroke affected him till he's gone through all the developmental milestones. Most of the group have children who have been left with some sort of hemiplegia, some far more severely than others. We were lucky in that sense with only a mild weakness.

One boy in the stroke group had chickenpox, and has remained incontinent since with right sided weakness. It makes me want to scream every time I hear someone ridiculously talking about how they want to get chickenpox over and done with. As if it's a rite of passage. They really have no idea at all the damage it can do.

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 10:55:54

No worries satsunday happy to help to pass on the details

LynetteScavo Wed 03-Aug-16 11:06:27

I know two toddlers who ended up in host postal with chicken pox.

On the other hand my children had very mild cases - no itching, didn't feel too unwell.

Compared to other illnesses it's not a massive health threat. I wouldn't want the vaccines lumped in with others administered in one go, and I wouldn't want to risk my DC getting it as adults.

I had the vaccine as an adult - it wasn't nice...because my mother claims I never had chicken pox. The amount I was exposed to it as a child I can't believe that's true. DM later admitted I must have had it, but she didn't notice.

I think there is concern that parents will avoid other vaccinations if CM is introduced to the vaccine schedule in the UK.

BluePitchFork Wed 03-Aug-16 11:19:34

Compared to other illnesses it's not a massive health threat

actually, it is. it's the one you shouldn't fly with or let dc play on a playground with due to the risk to vulnerable people.

LynetteScavo Wed 03-Aug-16 13:38:23

So it's OK to fly if you have measles, or hang out at toddler group with rubella, or go to the play ground with D&V? Of course not.

Cap CAN be serious, but generally is not as serious as measles, etc. That was my point.

bonzo77 Wed 03-Aug-16 14:02:36

For vaccination to work properly (IE to reduce cases of the illness in the population to virtually nil) then everyone who can be needs to be vaccinated. If this happens then even adults who have not been vaccinated as kids, and those who were whose immunity has waned, will be protected. Until there is a universal vaccination programme for CP I won't give it because of the risks of getting it as an adult. Once my kids are adults they can then get the vaccination if they've not had it by then.

When I was pregnant with ds2, ds1 got cp. a blood test showed that I was immune (having had cp myself 30+ years earlier). The same happened while preg with ds3 (ds2 caught it). Again I was tested to be certain. Not only was I immune but my antibody titre was several times higher than it had been before: my exposure to ds1's cp during my second pregnancy had boosted my immunity.

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 14:05:09

lynette but stroke is a massive health threat if comparing to other illnesses? Just as serious as still birth etc? I know it's rare but still think this as a possibility needs more publicising.

LynetteScavo Wed 03-Aug-16 15:56:49

I don't disagree with you, a stroke is a massive health threat, but also rare. Which is no comfort when it's your own child, but that's what people how make the devotions on these things will consider.

And yes, there should be more awareness of how potentially dangerous cp can be. Some people seem very naive.

It's about getting a balance of what is best for the health of the nation overall.

I don't think cost should be a factor in deciding whether the vaccine should be offered to all babies on the NHS although, sadly, it surely is.

Is it yet known how long the vaccine is effective?

bubblemcgubble Wed 03-Aug-16 17:44:12

I think it depends on when and if a second booster is given . It seems that if this is the case then it's 80% plus who will have a life long immunity and those who don't have a mild version of it.

I never realised I had such strong opinions about this vaccine until I turned out to be the parent whose child was seriously affected by CP!

nuttymango Wed 03-Aug-16 22:33:43

Chickenpox is awful if you are vulnerable, when my eldest had it I phoned the surgery and was told not to bring her until closing time or to book a home visit as they didn't want anybody with cp in the surgery. My youngest is now 13 and still hadn't had it despite exposure, that worries me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now