Essex traveller stand off

(19 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Thu 21-Jul-16 14:28:07

Is there a thread about this www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3700948/Villagers-lie-vehicles-stop-travellers-accessing-field.html

RortyCrankle Thu 21-Jul-16 20:44:45

Travellers had stayed in the village previously, leaving piles of rubbish behind which cost the village thousands to clear up so no surprise they didn't want a repeat.

panegyricS1 Thu 21-Jul-16 21:26:01

They left it in a state last time. They're a menace.

Claraoswald36 Fri 22-Jul-16 09:47:26

I agree. I thought the villagers were really brave

Luckystar1 Fri 22-Jul-16 09:52:47

Jesus... Replace the word 'travellers' with 'refugees' and the replies would be very different.

Absolutely disgusting responses.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 22-Jul-16 09:55:03

I applaud their stand. The state that sites are left behind in after these occupations are an utter disgrace. Travelers are a massive problem in some parts of the SE - naive to suggest otherwise.

Pootles2010 Fri 22-Jul-16 09:55:41

I'm not sure lucky, refugees are fleeing a dangerous situation, are they not?

MorrisZapp Fri 22-Jul-16 09:55:43

Can't see anything disgusting about talking about the mess left the last time and reasons why they don't want a repeat.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 22-Jul-16 10:04:38

I used to work for a law firm that dealt with evictions by developers and councils of illegal encampments on their land - the costs associated with removal are eye watering and (in the case of councils) mean that huge sums are diverted from the front line.

Of course the answer is more legal sites and better facilities but most of us don't want a legal site nearby because of the condition in which some sites are left when the travelers move on. (Having lived opposite such a site for about 10 years as a child, I would also have been lying in front of that car yesterday).

RortyCrankle Fri 22-Jul-16 14:18:31

Well Luckystar1 perhaps you would like to pick up the rubbish and filth, including human excrement, which is left behind when they leave an area. They are not refugees and I see no correlation between the two.

ApostrophesMatter Fri 22-Jul-16 14:33:55

Good for them. We have legal sites here but they don't want to pay so last year they broke the gate of the school playing field and camped there, delaying the start of term.

It cost over £20,000 to clear up the mess they made, including human shit.

Janefromdowntheroad Fri 22-Jul-16 14:39:01

This village is very near us and I'm not surprised they did what they did. The mess they left behind including human shit was disgusting.

The same travellers parked up next to our school last year. They stayed for two months as one of the girls was heavily pregnant. The school had to ban outside play after two weeks as the traveller kids were throwing cups of urine, broken glass, sticks and a ton of rubbish at the kids every lunch time. Eventually one of them jusmped the fence with his dog and a piece of broken glass and started chasing the KS1 kids. Foul disgusting behaviour.

And nothing to do with refugees hmm

TheNaze73 Fri 22-Jul-16 14:42:19

The comparison between the travellers & refugees is crass & offensive.

Pootles2010 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:06:29

The awful thing is, these anti social travellers are giving all travellers a bad name - we had a group recently, I think they were from France, who came to stay near my work for 2 weeks.

They were so tidy! Really left it immaculate, no trouble at all, all rubbish in black bags tidied away, left in piles for the bin men to take.

I don't really get why all travellers don't behave this way - surely that would stop a lot of the aggression towards them?

shutupandshop Fri 22-Jul-16 15:13:26

There is a camp on the side of our housing estate. 99% they are no bother.

Girlgonewild Fri 22-Jul-16 23:06:44

Yes they were wise to stop them and it is m uch much cheaper to do that blocking than to let them in and then spend weeks or months on expensive legal proceedings. As people say they are not all like this,. Some come with a fair not too far from here and their rubbish is piled neatly in black sacks - no mess at all and they park lawfully.

Claraoswald36 Sat 23-Jul-16 12:36:12

Jane - that's horrific I am quite shocked.
There's a legal site here whi h borders the council tip. Yet the inhabitants still chick their old sofas over the fence in to the nt park next door. I was quite gob smacked at the sheer laziness and arrogance.

RainIsAGoodThing Sat 23-Jul-16 13:00:44

I live near Weeley. Last time they camped here they left a litter of drowned puppies by the side of the road. Newborn, they'd killed them as they weren't wanted.

Local kids had to walk past the pile of corpses to get to school until the council removed them (pretty quickly, but still). I try to live and let live but that really shocked me.

ToastDemon Sat 23-Jul-16 13:34:10

It's a shame that some travellers behave as they do. I don't understand it.
There's some travellers parked up in a field by the beach near where I live. It's spotless and they are causing no bother whatever.
I genuinely don't understand why it differs so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now