Turkey PM says army group engaged in 'coup attempt'

(16 Posts)
Auti Fri 15-Jul-16 21:49:35

Breaking

sportinguista Fri 15-Jul-16 22:12:12

Just seen it, apparently it looks like a complete takeover by the military. Lots of confusion, all flights out cancelled. The world seems to be going mad.

sportinguista Fri 15-Jul-16 22:26:42

Twitter is going mad, there is talk of civil war. The country is in lockdown as far as I can tell.

concertplayer Sat 16-Jul-16 07:56:28

This was foreseeable as there has been political unrest for some time.
Some attacks in Ankara were not terrorists but own disaffected people

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 16-Jul-16 09:16:17

Oddly enough, I feel for the grunts on the front line...

Disobey an order by your CO who is part of the coup and possibly get shot... or obay your CO and possibly get shot later?

Pangurban1 Sat 16-Jul-16 12:10:11

It is a bit ironic that the same Erdogan who sent in riot police to disperse people campaigning against him before this, has urged people to support him by going out onto the streets to demonstrate and take on the army.

scaryteacher Sun 17-Jul-16 16:50:04

Bit of an odd 'coup' though....

nonamenopackdrill Sun 17-Jul-16 16:58:37

Many of the loyalists who went out ono the streets against the army were thugs. They beat and beheaded some of the soldiers - many of whom as conscripts were little more than boys who had no clue they were part of a coup, but thought it was an exercise.

A plague on both their houses - Erdogan and the generals.

(There is a hashtag on Twitter today 'ErdogandeservesanOscar' that implies he set it up himself to gain greater control and loyalty...)

SwedishEdith Sun 17-Jul-16 17:00:28

Beheaded? Crap, had't read that.

SwedishEdith Sun 17-Jul-16 17:46:15

Beheading story possibly not true

claig Sun 17-Jul-16 19:21:08

'boys who had no clue they were part of a coup, but thought it was an exercise'

noname, have you got a link for that? I haven't been following it in detail, but I wouldn't be surprised by that, if it is true.

nonamenopackdrill Sun 17-Jul-16 21:41:22

I speak Turkish, so have been reading a lot on the Turkish news sites, and social media. I have seen the photos of the beheaded soldiers, and other news footage of mobs surrounding and attacking soldiers and one man begging to kill an injured soldier in order to satisfy himself. The mobs (you will notice very few women), are right wing Islamists who are the sort who have been attack bars, Kurdish political parties, those minorities such as Alevis etc who aren't seen to be 'true' Muslims.

The Turkish army is made up of conscripts - all men have to serve for 18 months, and most do at a young age. (However, if you are rich, you can pay to convert to a few weeks). Some of the shots of seen are of scared young men.

I have heard a rumour that the generals had news they were due to be arrested on the Saturday morning, and so the coup was to try and stop that happening.

nonamenopackdrill Sun 17-Jul-16 21:46:01

www.almasdarnews.com/article/turkish-soldiers-unaware-part-coup/

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-coup-shocking-photos-show-civilians-attacking-rebel-soldier-a7141211.html

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 17-Jul-16 22:26:46

Talking to the staff at our Turkish restaurant today, they are saying that Erdogan was about to face corruption charges in the courts over the next couple of months..

Now all the judiciary who could have been involved with bringing charges have been sacked... Odd how they got dismissed over the weekend before the army was even fully accounted for?

claig Sun 17-Jul-16 22:36:37

'Odd how they got dismissed over the weekend before the army was even fully accounted for?'

Absolutely, and also how many have been dismissed. Sounds like a list must already have been in place.

scaryteacher Mon 18-Jul-16 09:36:15

Given that there are 450,000 approx in the Turkish army, it's a very small percentage that staged the 'coup'. I think it was a very convenient 'coup' for Erdogan and we will see him being increasingly authoritarian, and see Turkey becoming increasingly less secular.

It's also an excuse to get Gulen extradited; I hope the US doesn't play ball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now