School bans packed lunches

(5 Posts)
maidenislington Fri 17-Jun-16 11:49:49

St Mary Magdalene Catholic Primary School in Milton Keynes has banned packed lunches. I think it was proberbly the cold chips that pushed them over the edge! Overkill?
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3644353/School-bans-packed-lunches-claiming-parents-filling-children-s-boxes-unhealthy-biscuits-McDonald-s-chips.html

Lottielou7 Fri 17-Jun-16 11:55:53

Personally I can't stand having to do packed lunches! I guess that's pretty irrelevant.

Samcro Fri 17-Jun-16 11:58:47

that is just plain daft

NotCitrus Fri 17-Jun-16 12:36:19

Some schools have done it because having near 100% take-up makes school dinners financially viable (the cost is mostly staffing and energy, not the food). They'd still need to allow lunches in cases where they can't meet certain allergy requirements or documented eating issues.

cressetmama Fri 17-Jun-16 15:31:27

Ds disliked the (unhealthy) school menus so much he asked for packed lunches. It became a chore, but I regularly received nice comments and heard that his friends wanted a taste of his sandwich because they were generally a bit different. New school next term so I'm off the hook, but will have to do the school run again, instead of the train.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now