But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapist'

(23 Posts)
lamingtonnutty Tue 07-Jun-16 05:50:22

WHAT THE FUDGE?

http://www.mamamia.com.au/stanford-rapist-father-defends-the-crime/

Poor girl. Her witness statement is amazingly powerful. His Father is an absolutely twat.

StealthPolarBear Tue 07-Jun-16 05:57:58

Pleased to see most people (other than the judge and father) feel this is ridiculous too

lamingtonnutty Tue 07-Jun-16 06:01:48

It's just shock this is the 21st century!!!!

LostQueen Tue 07-Jun-16 06:05:29

It is absolutely disgusting, but what it highlights for me is that he has clearly been allowed to get away with whatever he wants his whole life because someone has always excused him which is why he thought he was entitled to that poor girls body.

WhisperingLoudly Tue 07-Jun-16 06:07:46

Hideous statement from the father. Not difficult to see where the son got his horrific sense of entitlement from. I hope he becomes a social pariah

LostQueen Tue 07-Jun-16 06:09:19

that line "20 minutes of action" literally sickens me to my stomach.

Baconyum Tue 07-Jun-16 06:10:32

There's a petition to remove the judge. Awful inadequate sentence. White male privilege to the max - he's never even indicated any hint of remorse just 'woe is me' crap!

His swim times were reported in the articles about his trial. angryangryangry

StealthPolarBear Tue 07-Jun-16 06:14:48

Good point lost.
yes the 20 minutes of action spectacularly misses the point, focusing on how minor this was in his life and totally failing to understand that there was another person involved (whose life is equally as important as his...well actually I'd say more now)

StealthPolarBear Tue 07-Jun-16 06:16:45

Aaargh I've just read the actual letter (that is shown as an image). Wish I hadn't bothered now. He no longer eats crisps. Poor kid. Promiscuity, wtf?

StealthPolarBear Tue 07-Jun-16 06:20:08

What is the thread title? Did th dad say that?

lamingtonnutty Tue 07-Jun-16 07:07:07

Yes, the father said that in a testimony about his son!

DorynownotFloundering Tue 07-Jun-16 07:11:45

The victim blaming on this case is horrendous, poor girl. The golden boy should have kept it in his pants end of. No means no & if unconscious it means no.

Baconyum Tue 07-Jun-16 08:17:44

As soon as This rapist knew she didn't remember what happened his story changed. Thought he could lie through his teeth, still found guilty. Iirc unanimously.

Then the judge fucks up!

CeeBeeBee Tue 07-Jun-16 14:47:19

[http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/06/stanford-sexual-assault-judge-recall Also here]]. She has the support of a law lecturer and other students against the judge. I read the article with utter disgust. Talk about minimising.

The father is thick as turd. Of course rape happens when a rapist decides to rape!

CeeBeeBee Tue 07-Jun-16 14:48:08

Try link again. Here

pointythings Tue 07-Jun-16 20:30:10

Do the prosecution in the US have the option of appealing against the sentence as unduly lenient in the same way they would have in the UK? This is appalling, the guy should have got the highest possible sentence and gone to a federal penitentiary.

DorynownotFloundering Wed 08-Jun-16 07:14:37

FFS there were 2 witnesses ! How can they refute their evidence?

Aeroflotgirl Wed 08-Jun-16 08:18:15

It is disgusting, and with the fathers attitude, no wonder he raised a son like that. It does not matter how long it is for, she was violated and assaulted. Rape is rape. I feel because the boy was young, educated, promising career,had a good lawyer, is the reason for the lenient sentence. I don't think a man from a disadvantaged backround would be treated the same.

BreakingDad77 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:31:41

Criming while white pretty much sums it up.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 08-Jun-16 11:45:08

The quotation in the thread title is actually from a letter written to the judge by a female friend of the rapist. But it has had satisfying consequences for her from the point of view of those of us who think that she is talking shit.

Here

PenguinWatch Thu 09-Jun-16 11:23:36

I read an open letter the victim wrote to her rapist . It actually made me cry. And not just for her or her family but for all those other mistreated victims, past, present and future.

It sounds like the rapist hasn't accepted any responsibility and has just lied and lied and tried to make himself out to be a victim.

Apparently one of the guys that chased him down was so traumatised that he kept breaking down in tears during the police interview. It's such a horrific story. I wonder what the outcome would have been had the rapist not been white middle/upper class.

BungoWomble Thu 09-Jun-16 13:16:59

This is a link to that open letter, from the rape survivor (on Buzzfeed). It is upsetting.

LostQueen Thu 09-Jun-16 16:21:57

Penguin that question has been raised quite a few times on my Facebook feed. This article is an interesting read:

www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/wrongfully-convicted-brian-banks-disgusted-brock-turner-ruling-article-1.2663595?utm_content=buffercf9a1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now