Canadian wildfires

(18 Posts)
megletthesecond Sat 07-May-16 20:18:51

O.M.G

The dash cam footage of the drivers leaving the city and the security cameras filming the fire talking hold of the house shock. Stuff of nightmares.

cookiefiend Sat 07-May-16 20:23:43

It is awful- I am surprised it has so relatively little coverage on our news given the scAle.

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 20:29:31

I just came on here to post about this! Glad to find a thread.

The scale is just unbelievable - a town the size of Bath or Durham has been completely evacuated. At one point, 25k people were trapped in mining camps just north of the city. It'll probably be weeks before they are allowed home.

Amazingly little media coverage though the grauniad has been quite good.

RandomMess Sat 07-May-16 20:32:36

I don't think there will be any homes for them to return to I'm afraid sad

AuntieStella Sat 07-May-16 20:36:41

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36235175

I hope everyone is evacuated safely.

The scale of what is happening is staggering already, and apparently set to worsen over the next 24 hours.

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 20:38:38

It sounds like downtown and some northern parts of the city have been spared.

megletthesecond Sat 07-May-16 21:02:37

random on the bbc site there was a video of a guy abandoning his house and saying he wouldn't ever see it again.

RandomMess Sat 07-May-16 21:09:22

I think smoke damage is probable to those not burnt which is hideous enough on its own sad also just returning to a place where most of it is gone, many friends no longer able to live there.

Just hideous & life changing.

ggirl Sat 07-May-16 21:18:58

also on my Facebook timeline (I'm canadian and follow their news) there was pics of people with their pets on a plane..West Jet airline has allowed them to bring them into the cabin

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 21:19:28

Yes, it has to take years for a community to recover from a collective trauma like this. Even people who are able to return to their homes will have colleagues, friends, family who never return.

Bloodybridget Sat 07-May-16 23:12:15

I was surprised not to find any threads here about the fires, until now, although I guess there's nothing to say except how dreadful and terrifying it is. I wondered if there were any MNers affected. I'd never heard of wildfires in Canada before, only in California and Australia.

BirthdayBetty Sat 07-May-16 23:15:18

It's absolutely catastrophic sad

Mistigri Sat 07-May-16 23:18:13

There are forest fires in Canada every year, but because it's very big and very sparsely populated they rarely threaten any large centres of population. Unfortunately this one has happened in the wrong place at the wrong time, after an exceptionally warm winter with low snow cover.

AuntieStella Sun 08-May-16 16:58:18

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36242433

It's doubled in size.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 08-May-16 17:11:45

They desperately need rain.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sun 08-May-16 17:16:13

I was just watching videos of this. It's terrifying, those poor people. The dashcam footage is scary, I really don't think I could drive under those circumstances.

kinkytoes Tue 10-May-16 14:33:55

I saw on the news today that they have incredibly saved 90% of the buildings in the city. That's incredible really.

kinkytoes Tue 10-May-16 14:34:27

Oops too many incredibles blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now