Bias at the bbc

(9 Posts)
howabout Sat 07-May-16 08:02:21

I have been increasingly concerned about this over the last couple of years and think the recent high profile defections of Robert Peston and a good few others may indicate I am not alone.

In the light of coverage still focusing on Labour's "problems" and Scotland when they largely held their 41% poll from the local English elections and won the London Mayor back, does this article resonate with anyone else?

www.thecanary.co/2016/05/06/the-abysmal-local-elections-coverage-shows-the-bbc-has-moved-beyond-bias-to-pure-propaganda/

meditrina Sat 07-May-16 08:07:31

All parties complain that the BBC is somehow unfairly against them, which strikes me that they must be doing something right.

The thing recently that I found odd was the level of coverage (as a main story on the website all day) of the school 'strike' based the back of a petition of 40,000 (which is actually fairly small) and a demo attracting 500 people.

lljkk Sat 07-May-16 09:48:44

If the EU backs out of the VISA-free deal because of Erdoan's last announcement, could that bring his govt down?

STIDW Sat 07-May-16 11:41:41

It's very unlikely the EU will back out of visa free travel. On Thursday a statement was issued that Turkey must comply with all the agreed visa liberalisation benchmarks before visa free travel can go ahead, in particular changing the law to redefine terrorists. So the ball is firmly in Erdoan's court

cdtaylornats Sun 08-May-16 07:59:24

The thing with local elections is that virtually nobody cares outside the actual area they are held in. That's what local radio is for.

The Canary is a website for left wing bloggers pretending to be journalists. There is a page on their website that discusses how they use the money generated
"Nobody at The Canary is on payroll, the directors take nothing at this point so this is *largely legal*"

Well largely legal must be okay - perhaps they might like to consider going fully legal.

howabout Sun 08-May-16 21:58:49

cd if that were true about local elections then Labour would have a resounding success in winning mayor of London and Bristol and no-one in UK mainstream media would be discussing local elections and Scotland surely?

claig Sun 08-May-16 22:16:57

'The Canary is a website for left wing bloggers pretending to be journalists.'

Do you mean it is part of the Guardian?

TheNewStatesman Mon 09-May-16 12:28:15

twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/729610596602265600

Justanotherlurker Tue 10-May-16 21:14:14

Private eye did had a nice piece on the canary

m.imgur.com/UFcqSKa?r

If your trying to infer something from your tweet NewStatesman I suggest you do a little more reading about the number of council seats being contested and the strongholds they where in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now