Are the Royals for or against Brexit?

(5 Posts)
wickedlazy Thu 21-Apr-16 10:56:51

I read this,

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6986518/Queen-hailed-as-a-backer-of-Brexit.html

Then this

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/01/exclusive-royal-family-considering-dramatic-brexit-intervention

Is it just me or does the guardian article not add up? As if it's saying the senior Royals privately think Britain you should leave, but have been reprimanded for letting this become known. But reprimanded by who? Is it true the Queen had a bust up with Nick Clegg? Is the Queen considering intervention to help Britain leave and it's been "spun" to make it seem otherwise? Surely the Queen has the right to express her opinion freely as she wishes, even if it is considered bad ettiquete.

prh47bridge Thu 21-Apr-16 11:30:24

Is the Queen considering intervention to help Britain leave and it's been "spun" to make it seem otherwise

Highly unlikely. The Queen has spent her entire life avoiding any comment on political matters. It is one of the factors in her enduring popularity. I am certain that, whatever her private views, she will not intervene on either side.

BadlyWrittenPoem Thu 21-Apr-16 11:38:22

Check the date of the guardian article. wink

claig Thu 21-Apr-16 11:46:23

'Is it just me or does the guardian article not add up?'

It is a total comic masterpiece and windup and the clue is right at the end about April 1st

"Another insider said early proposals to do a live broadcast have been rejected in favour of a pre-recorded session because of Philip’s propensity for swearing. “The words have to be perfect,” she said, “but we’ve got time to iron things out between today – 1 April – and June.”

There are lots of great jokes and inconsistencies in it such as

“he also thinks the Greeks would never have got into this mess if the colonels had still been in power.”

because if teh colonels were in power, Greece would not be allowed in the EU as you have to have a non-military democratic government

and

"And as for Boris, the other main outer – he’s a cycling maniac from Islington."

The metropolitan elite and Prince Charles are as green as it gets, they push that line, so Boris is right up their street.

Lots more good jokes in it, worth a read for a good laugh.

wickedlazy Fri 22-Apr-16 23:44:35

Ahhh... the more I read it, the more I thought wtf? My relative amount of original faith restored in the guardian now. And must remember to always check the date. Although in my defence I got engaged on March 31st <passes sick bucket> and apr/01 passed right over my head blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now