Another needless death of a young child

(15 Posts)
yougetme Wed 06-Apr-16 17:39:17

Yet again there is a headline about the death of a young child involving roller blind cords.
This is from the Guardian
I feel so sorry for the family and especially the grandparents who were looking after the little girl .My heart truly goes out to them .
What a hopeless waste of a precious little life .

I wonder why blinds with this design are still on sale when there is an alternative method that doesnt seem to cost any more. Why arent they just outlawed?

specialsubject Wed 06-Apr-16 17:55:59

how desperately sad.

The legislation for blind safety devices has been in place since 2014. Selling blinds that don't comply has been illegal since then.

yougetme Thu 07-Apr-16 17:26:22

Its not the fact of the blinds having safety devices ,its that even with safety devices these accidents still happen.

A loop ,especially one which doesnt break under strain ,is still a killer and all the safety devices do is tether the loop to the side .

There shouldnt be a loop of any sort and its perfectly possible to make blinds which do not have them . Its all so unnecessary.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 07-Apr-16 23:56:02

Oh the poor little lamb.
Sleep peacefully with the angels Bronwyn.
My heart goes out to your family.
I thought cord blinds had been phased out now.
There's no blame on the Grandparents part. None at all.

Balletgirlmum Fri 08-Apr-16 00:03:52

This is local to me. It's heartbreaking. The elderly grandmother collapsed with shock & was admitted to hospital. The parents had taken their other two children to watch Chitty at the local theatre, the police met them there.

The one nice thing is that the parents contacted a local charity/hospice for help with their disabled son at this time & they suggested taking little Bronwyns body to one of their goodbye rooms so they were able to spend some time with her afterwards.

Awful, awful.

specialsubject Fri 08-Apr-16 11:15:51

The safety device produces a tight loop against the wall. It is a bit hard to move the blind. You can't get a finger in the loop and the safety device is firmly screwed to the wall.

Sadly accidents happen. No one can check each house and remove all hazards.

wiltingfast Mon 11-Apr-16 23:51:21

But why not just stop making them with loops at all?

cdtaylornats Tue 12-Apr-16 00:12:33

Who knows how long the blinds have been there? The grandparents probably didn't think about it if they haven't had toddlers around for the last 20+ years

ColdTeaAgain Tue 12-Apr-16 07:13:50

So desperately sad. My guess would be that the blinds had been in the house for years and they simply didn't know the risk.

We need to go back to the days of safety adverts on tv. A short film on common household dangers shown regularly at peak times could save lives.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 12-Apr-16 08:03:55

New blinds all comply to new safety legislation. We sell them and they were all removed from sale while safety regs were enforced.

These blinds were prob years old

No need to stop selling them. How ridiculous. You can't enforce everyone updates their existing blinds

Wanderingwondering Tue 12-Apr-16 09:22:25

There have been plenty of public awareness campaigns on this and I know that the authority where this happened had it as a focus a few years ago.
I'm full of admiration for how the parents have handled it. I couldn't be as forgiving I'm afraid.

wiltingfast Tue 12-Apr-16 13:50:21

But why sell the looped ones at all? I don't understand the faffing with "safety devices" when they could just be discontinued? The loops are not essential as far as I am aware?

My own parents cut theirs when the Dc arrived. I'm lucky they were alert to the dangers.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 12-Apr-16 18:10:17

The poor grandparents..... Quite elderley and the grandmother is carer to the 16 year old son, brother of the little girl killed. They were caring for him and babysitting a toddler too. Thd grandfather collapsed and is now hospitalised. Just awful

NoahVale Tue 12-Apr-16 18:21:20

poor grandparents, I agree, poor family sad

NoahVale Tue 12-Apr-16 18:22:35

hospitals and probably schools, I don't know, but wherever camhs practice, had to update their blinds a couple of years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now