Breaking News: Ian Duncan Smith Resigns

(34 Posts)
MeadowHay Fri 18-Mar-16 21:16:50

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35848687

Apparently he is concerned about the changes to disability benefits...yeah, right. After what he has done to disability benefit claimants already??

Time for a celebratory drink, anyone?

cheminotte Fri 18-Mar-16 21:17:59

wine cheers

ColinFirthsGirth Fri 18-Mar-16 21:23:07

What? Are we really meant to believe that he cares?

tribpot Fri 18-Mar-16 21:25:13

Early move in a leadership contest? Surely not.

The one thing it definitely isn't about is the government screwing over disabled people.

MeadowHay Fri 18-Mar-16 21:25:44

You can find his resignation letter here: twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/710933401851789314

Might give you a few laughs, although it's hard not to explode with rage...wine

MeadowHay Fri 18-Mar-16 21:27:01

Speculation that it may, just possibly, have a little more to do with Tory division of the EU than his sudden bleeding heart for the disabled...just maybe...

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 18-Mar-16 22:00:59

So he's resigned because he's disgusted by the cuts or because he's peeved that they're been re thought. Sorry for not being on the ball. Well, It is Friday night.grin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 18-Mar-16 22:03:29

More to do with Brexit I'd imagine.

0phelia Fri 18-Mar-16 22:05:03

Is IDS on the Leave side then?

Cameron non too pleased with him?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 18-Mar-16 22:05:08

If it were Jack the lad that gave up his job due to pressure. We all know the first word out of IDS's mouth, don't we. "*_SANCTION_*. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0phelia Fri 18-Mar-16 22:06:01

He was most likely forced to resign anyway, ppl like him don't simply resign on principle.

IthoughtATMwasacashpoint Fri 18-Mar-16 22:13:17

First (and largest) rat to leave the sinking ship?

Lying to the very end. I think things are starting to get too hot for Mr Sanction, far too much protest over disability cuts for him to be comfortable

ElementaryMyDear Fri 18-Mar-16 22:25:45

I do like the way he's kicked Osborne in the balls.

FishWithABicycle Fri 18-Mar-16 23:09:18

In other unrelated news, his eminence Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, has resigned after his shock at recently discovering that the Pope is catholic.

Samcro Fri 18-Mar-16 23:11:00

he doesn't care....he said "the disabled"......in his mind they are not even people

VertigoNun Fri 18-Mar-16 23:15:22

I dread to think what the big plan is, as there is one involving a quiet BoJo.

PenguinsAreAce Sat 19-Mar-16 07:27:48

Have you seen this?

Really do not know what to make of the resignation. I do not think it has been about Europe.

His big idea around universal credit has hardly been a success

Also looks like a split between Treasury and DWP.

Thelwell Sat 19-Mar-16 07:31:09

DC response to his resignation letter on front page daily telegraph online. Entertaining!

Thelwell Sat 19-Mar-16 07:32:34

^

DC as in David Cameron smile

Tiredemma Sat 19-Mar-16 08:50:51

He doesn't care about what the Govt are doing to disabled people- or if he does he about 6 years too late.

This is all about his brexit campaign - to try and convince us otherwise just indicates what fools he takes us all for.

BungoWomble Sat 19-Mar-16 10:09:33

Completely agree. Please don't let anyone be daft enough to believe that the man who laughed when discussing benefit sanctions deaths cares one iota about the British people.

This is an open political power game and nothing more. I don't understand why they've chosen to turn on David Cameron now - I feel quite sorry for him - but clearly there are some internal conflicts within the Tory party and they are bringing on the leadership battle early. It's probably something to do with Europe, but also the battle lines are being drawn and we've just effectively seen two announce themselves as contenders for the new PM. I always had a feeling they wouldn't last the whole term, I sincerely hope this brings on a new general election 'cos the country can't take any more of these power-crazy gits.

If I was disabled right now I would be absolutely fuming at being used in this way by this man. Absolute scum of the earth, him and George Osborne both.

MeadowHay Sat 19-Mar-16 22:43:24

Loved the guardian's headline today, "tories in turmoil", lol. Also Nadine Dorries' tweets about it all. This has been an amusing affair to say the least. Labour are revelling in it all by the looks of things.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 19-Mar-16 22:56:16

Yes and Nadine Dorries also said about IDS. He made me vote for the cuts. Now I'm sorry, but yes I can believe he pressured her, but she's certainly not stupid and knows her own mind. Why didn't she just say to the idiot. "Fuck off I'll vote how I damn well please, arse hole". One minute he's bullying people to kick the sick, mentally ill and disabled. When they're down and next minute. He's developed a sudden attack of conscience. Well that's very noble of you IDS, but. It's too little to late. It won't bring the poor People back who committed suicide due to your wicked sanctions. Fucking prisoners get better thought of than the sick and unemployed.
At least they get 3 square meals a day.
And breathe Ilive.

Tiredemma Sun 20-Mar-16 07:40:34

I loved reading all about the Tory Turmoil yesterday. Of course im not stupid enough to believe that this is solely about his sudden awareness of his moral compass- Its obviously about him concentrating on Brexit- but to have his firing shot delivered into Osbornes temple is just magical. Talk about going out in a blaze of thunder.

wheelofapps Mon 21-Mar-16 12:39:43

IDS is vile and wouldn't recognise an 'attack of conscience' if it shook his hand.

BUT I am delighted at the way he has gone.
Clearly a shock for DC.
And a huge boot in the privates for Osborne.

I'd like Osborne to go next.
He's been a very poor Chancellor as well as a hideously unfair one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now