Surely there must be a third way of making a hijab fit for the operating theatre

(23 Posts)
ReallyTired Mon 07-Mar-16 10:22:29

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3479740/Consultant-suspended-hospital-confronting-surgeon-planned-operate-hijab-despite-against-safety-regulations.html?ito=social-facebook

I think that the Muslim surgeon who walked out of an operation should be sacked. She threw a tantrum and clearly could not give a damn about the safety of the patient who was on the operating table. The middle of an operation is not the time to discuss religious clothing in the operating theatre or throw a hissy fit.

I also think the consultant was wrong to share details of the incident in his blog. He is as bad as the Muslim surgeon.

Surely there must be way of creating surgical headgear compatible with the modesty requirements of Islam. Why can't there be a surgical hijab purely for use in the operating theatre? Surely some smart Islamic fashion designer/ doctor/ scholar could come up with something acceptable. If the Muslim surgeon had problems with the hospital rules she should have raised it long before the op to see what reasonable adaptation could be made.

KittyandTeal Mon 07-Mar-16 10:25:39

I've not read the article but I am surprised that someone hasn't designed a 'surgical hijab'.

There are simple ones all sewn together from small girls (loads of my girls at school used to wear then) Surely a disposable one from scrubs type fabric shouldn't be too difficult.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 07-Mar-16 10:29:26

I though surgeons always had their hair and mouth/nose covered anyway?

SmellySourdough Mon 07-Mar-16 10:33:29

I though surgeons always had their hair and mouth/nose covered anyway?

that's what I thought as well.
so it should a a total non-issue.

religion should never ever come before patient safety!

Bitchrestingface Mon 07-Mar-16 10:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertrandRussell Mon 07-Mar-16 10:35:15

It's the Daily Mail.

Happy to comment if there's actually a reputable source anywhere to comment on.

Annarose2014 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:35:27

I'm confused......There IS head covers available for people who wear a hijab.

In my hospital they're basically hoods made of scrub material.

If the hospital hadn't provided any when they're buying hundreds of scrub sets anyway, then they can't blame everyone else.

3littlefrogs Mon 07-Mar-16 10:53:56

It is a question of hygiene IMO.

30 years ago I worked with a couple of surgeons who wore headscarves/hijabs. We all got changed in the ladies changing rooms before going into theatre. They just removed their usual head covering and replaced it with the clean theatre caps that everyone else was wearing.

It wasn't a big deal back then. I do remember being surprised to see that one lady had the most beautiful curly hair - she looked so different to what I had imagined. But is simply wasn't an issue.

Nobody should go into theatre wearing clothes they have been wearing outside (except for underwear).

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 07-Mar-16 11:02:18

There is surgical hijab headgear. Our hospital have them and people happily wear them.

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Mon 07-Mar-16 11:35:52

bertrand - here

He wasn't suspended for confronting her, that happened in 2013, the hospital agreed with him about it. He's been suspended because the hospital has had 'complaints about the tone used' in the article he had published in Slovakia.

BeyondDespairandRepair Mon 07-Mar-16 11:58:03

Betrand, if this is something you are happy to comment on, why dont you do your own search and find your own alternative links confused

sportinguista Mon 07-Mar-16 13:45:52

She risks being sued if an infection happens and she had worn the hijab into the theatre against hospital rules. Even if the hijeb did not actually cause the infection she basically compromised sterility of the environment by doing so. As many posters have said there are sterile alternatives available. The onus was on her to ask for them as religion is a private matter and she needed to make it clear if she had any needs regarding it affecting her professional life.

It's not being made clear what the tone of the comments were so I'm not able to comment on that.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Mon 07-Mar-16 20:06:18

It is the Daily Mail not the Sunday Sport.

I accept that the line taken on stories by the DM and their weird style (irrelevant house valuations on every story springs to mind) are often laughable however they are ime as likely to print verifiable facts as say The Guardian.

How much is this surgeon's house worth then?!

pinkcan Mon 07-Mar-16 20:10:06

This is weird. The surgeon's head is covered with a surgical cap and their mouth nose is covered with a mask. Why would you need any further coverings, everything is already covered confused

Buckinbronco Mon 07-Mar-16 20:11:27

It sounds as though he was right to confront her but his approach might've been the problem- for all we know he racially abused her whilst communicating she needed to change.

I'm not a fan of such religious clothing though and wouldn't support its wearing in the work place.

originalmavis Mon 07-Mar-16 20:16:21

I assume she was being arsey, a bit slobby (scarf apparently had blood on it) and defensive. Possibly ignorant of what is appropriate too.

I know a surgeon in the ME and he says that female surgeons/theatre nurses just wear the usual surgery clothes, including a cap. Same as when he works in the US.

They didn't investigate the surgeon for being a potential infection risk though did they?

BertrandRussell Mon 07-Mar-16 20:19:56

Surgeon was in the wrong as reported because, apart from anything else, there is hospital appropriate hijab equivalent. Consultant at this point was in the right to make a stand.

Consultant was in the wrong because you don't bad mouth colleagues on social media particularly in what I assume was a racist manner.

Not really a story, is it?

Blu Mon 07-Mar-16 20:36:22

The headgear worn by all surgeons in our local hospital is basically a J Cloth hijab. it covers head, forehead , ears , and ties under the chin.

LoveBoursin Mon 07-Mar-16 20:40:52

BUt surely to become a surgeon she will have done plenty of work in theater before ahnd. Had no one commented on it before and told her that what she was using wasn't acceptable? confusedconfused

LoveBoursin Mon 07-Mar-16 20:43:32

I would also love to know how it has been dealt with whithin the hosp, ie has any measure been taken re the surgeon and dressing code when in theater?

I wouldn't actually be surprised that he ended up posting it on a blog because no one else catually listened...

VoyageOfDad Mon 07-Mar-16 20:46:27

I wonder how they'd accomodate this pastafarian < blessed be his dangly tenticles >

abbsismyhero Mon 07-Mar-16 20:51:28

really? im pretty sure the lady who operated on me had a hijab? perhaps im misremembering she came into me when i was in labour and had it on i remember talking to her during and after the op im sure it was still there i was high as a kite so maybe i just "saw" it?

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Mon 07-Mar-16 20:58:32

loveboursin - it says in the telegraph story linked above that the surgeon left the hospital after an investigation which backed the consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now